shelf life of chalk

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously, chalk is cheaper if purchased in larger quantities. However, if it has a limited shelf life then such purchases would be counter-productive.

What is the shelf life of chalk before it begins to lose its effectiveness?

JLD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got both new and used chalk in varying colors that I have had for over 30 years and it works just as good today as it ever did.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Obviously, chalk is cheaper if purchased in larger quantities. However, if it has a limited shelf life then such purchases would be counter-productive.

What is the shelf life of chalk before it begins to lose its effectiveness?

The same as the shelf life of a rock forever in one form or another.

Take care

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sang Lee container

The same as the shelf life of a rock forever in one form or another.

Take care

I appreciate yur humor, but why does Sang Lee provide a container & caution that the chalk should be kept inside with a little bag of silicon? to prevent it from drying out?

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Doesn't the silicon absorb moisture. If so then the goal is dry chalk. I've had my Masters for 10 years. It's the same as new.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I would think you'd want to keep it in a dry place. Damp chalk is like paste. Kept dry it's good forever

:cool:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a collection of old chalk, some of it must be almost 100 years old, and its perfect.

the only issue with old chalk is the wrapper, I use Master Chalk that is from the 70's I bought 120 pieces from a guy a year ago, and the glue in the wrapper on some pieces has gone bad and it dosent hold the paper together and it slips off the piece of chalk, the piece of chalk is real dark and hard so it dosent make a mess, it works just fine with no wrapper and wears down normal, I use them until they are gone(I dont drill a hole down the middle). When properly used a piece of chalk lasts a long time.

Buying it in huge bulk quanities to save $$$ is ok, But how much are you going to really save? if its worth it then do it. dont worry about the product it will out live us all.:smile:

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dry place

I would think you'd want to keep it in a dry place. Damp chalk is like paste. Kept dry it's good forever

:cool:

I keep it in a dry room in its box & the boxes locked in a freezer bag. No, I don't put it in the freezer.

Thank you all for the advice.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I appreciate yur humor, but why does Sang Lee provide a container & caution that the chalk should be kept inside with a little bag of silicon? to prevent it from drying out?

First of all Sang lee is no longer with use, and the Chalk I have seen that carried his name was not really great quality. I new him personally and I never saw him use himself.

But, in reality I think the concept is to keep the chalk dry which important for all Chalk.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sang Lee undoubtedly meant silicate not silicon. The first is a dessicant, or drying agent, while the second is a metal. Chalk is inert and only needs to be dry to keep forever.

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
The shelf life of chalk is 33 years, 7 month, 14 days, 11 hours, 5 minutes, and 44 seconds.

Seriously, I'm with everyone else ... forever, or at least beyond a human life span if kept dry.

Even if allowed to get damp I think it would still be good after a good drting out.

In a humid time of year or climate a dessicant such as silica would help in storage I imagine.

If you really want to be uber cautious Marv, nearly every bottle of vitamins or over the counter pill will have a small anti dessicant pack inside. Tos a couple inside your baggie of chalk and call it a day.

I use them in camera bags and my cue case also.

LWW

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dessicant from pill bottle

The shelf life of chalk is 33 years, 7 month, 14 days, 11 hours, 5 minutes, and 44 seconds.

Seriously, I'm with everyone else ... forever, or at least beyond a human life span if kept dry.

Even if allowed to get damp I think it would still be good after a good drting out.

In a humid time of year or climate a dessicant such as silica would help in storage I imagine.

If you really want to be uber cautious Marv, nearly every bottle of vitamins or over the counter pill will have a small anti dessicant pack inside. Tos a couple inside your baggie of chalk and call it a day.

I use them in camera bags and my cue case also.

LWW

If I use the dessicant from my vitamin bottle it might improve my powerbreak. Thanks for the additional source.