Shoot outs SUCK!

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6 out of the last 8 matches in Ohio went to a shootout. What a crock. You play 8 games just to see who can make the most spot shots. Why not just run to 8? I can't watch this shit as I feel it will lower my IQ if I do. If Mark or Ozzy came up with this garbage they've got to rethink it. It's just too stupid. If they want to do this in the early part of the tournament to encourage dead money to enter the event that's fine. When you get down to the last 16 this nonsense has got to go.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6 out of the last 8 matches in Ohio went to a shootout. What a crock. You play 8 games just to see who can make the most spot shots. Why not just run to 8? I can't watch this shit as I feel it will lower my IQ if I do. If Mark or Ozzy came up with this garbage they've got to rethink it. It's just too stupid. If they want to do this in the early part of the tournament to encourage dead money to enter the event that's fine. When you get down to the last 16 this nonsense has got to go.
Agree with every word.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
100%

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
6 out of the last 8 matches in Ohio went to a shootout.
I hate shootouts, too, but this statement is false. Both semifinals were won in straight sets and so was the final. In other words, the business end of the Ohio event featured no shootouts.

Gomez d. De Luna 4-3, 4-1 (Semifinal)
He d. Chinahov 4-3, 4-3 (Semifinal)
He d. Gomez 4-3, 4-0 (Final)

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shootouts are a fundamental proponent of the game of 9 and 10 ball. They aren't a new thing. I remember when King Tut used to have shootout's in his 10-ball tournaments.

Shootouts are pool distilled down to its purest form. They really shouldn't even have a rotational run of 9 or 10 balls, just have a shootout. And instead of a lag, just have a pre-shootout to see who goes first.

Last edited:

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate shootouts, too, but this statement is false. Both semifinals were won in straight sets and so was the final. In other words, the business end of the Ohio event featured no shootouts.

Gomez d. De Luna 4-3, 4-1 (Semifinal)
He d. Chinahov 4-3, 4-3 (Semifinal)
He d. Gomez 4-3, 4-0 (Final)
Yeah. Op has it backwards. What was said on the stream is that 6 of the 8 first round matches of stage two went to a shootout.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Don't want to do a shootout? Bear down and win both matches.

I would have agreed with you at one point, but if a pro can't make a "basically spot shot" maybe they need more table time. Us intermediates have to make shots like that all the time when we lose shape. It's a nice format for television/streaming.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not going to watch any tournaments using this new rule. Same with the guy who refereed the U S Open. Plenty of things to watch other than this.

Run a tournament the right way.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't want to do a shootout? Bear down and win both matches.

I would have agreed with you at one point, but if a pro can't make a "basically spot shot" maybe they need more table time. Us intermediates have to make shots like that all the time when we lose shape. It's a nice format for television/streaming.
There's a fundamental flaw when a player can win more games over the course of two sets yet lose the match on a gaffe shot. In a short race, early 10B format anything can happen and as a result, this closes the talent gap between the two players. There's a reason 90% of the Top 10 Fargo Rated players have chosen to not participate: the format is a joke.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
With a little mental gymnastics you will see that this is actually a race to 8 but with a twist.

If you do poorly (or just play a little worse than opponent) you will get spotted 1-3 games once your opponent has reached the halfway point. If you then win this race to 8 you have to pay for your 1-3 game spot by winning a shootout.

9Ball5032 “just have a pre shootout to see who goes first” 🤣🤣🤣

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
There's a fundamental flaw when a player can win more games over the course of two sets yet lose the match on a gaffe shot. In a short race, early 10B format anything can happen and as a result, this closes the talent gap between the two players. There's a reason 90% of the Top 10 Fargo Rated players have chosen to not participate: the format is a joke.
I agree with this point, but the format they are playing is the format they are playing. If you want to win the event and get into the prize money, this is the format you must play. Bring it hot and heavy and win both sets, or get good at the shootout. It's definitely an odd format, but it is the format. One might as well be upset they are using a different cloth or the table rails react differently than the ones on their favorite table. It's completely legit to skip events you're not interested in.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with this point, but the format they are playing is the format they are playing. If you want to win the event and get into the prize money, this is the format you must play. Bring it hot and heavy and win both sets, or get good at the shootout. It's definitely an odd format, but it is the format. One might as well be upset they are using a different cloth or the table rails react differently than the ones on their favorite table. It's completely legit to skip events you're not interested in.
It is most certainly a player's prerogative to skip the events. That being said, I think the future success of the events hinges on the top players participating. The SVB's Orcullo's and Shaw's of the would should be competing in what is the only "pro" (I use that term lightly) tour in the US and I don't see them participating if the format continues.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not going to watch any tournaments using this new rule. Same with the guy who refereed the U S Open. Plenty of things to watch other than this.

Run a tournament the right way.
Put up your own time and money to promote and run a tournament and you can do that. But you are in NO position to tell others what to do with their money. None of us are.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put up your own time and money to promote and run a tournament and you can do that. But you are in NO position to tell others what to do with their money. None of us are.
If the top players are AWOL that basically tells the promoter what to do with his money. IF this format is supposed to generate interest from fans how long will CSI/Predator/Fargo ride this shootout dog without the very best players? SVB is the US's Tiger Woods of pool. If you were a promoter would you adopt some gimmick rule/format that basically guarantees his non-participation?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seen several spot shots missed by top pros.
I enjoy watching the pressure it puts on them.
Not my favorite but, I don't hate it.