shotmaker test

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think somebody is a lil cranky today.
Does that mean you don't need to see the video after all? :grin:

Don't worry ... you'll get your video (w/o the pissing).

Regards,
Dr. Cranky ;)

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think we should also post videos of us urinating to see how far each of us can pee. That way the pissing contest can be complete so we can really see where we each stack up on the manliness scale. :p

Regards,
Dave

I think I'm the favorite at a pissing contest too as long as I can stand on some bricks to eliminate your height advantage.

I think you'll score fine until you get to the second page.

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we should also post videos of us urinating to see how far each of us can pee. That way the pissing contest can be complete so we can really see where we each stack up on the manliness scale. :p

./QUOTE]

Dr. Dave, That was funny---you have a way of always being professional amid the personal attacks. Thanks for all the information you provide.

Ps. One of the best sections on Dr. Dave's site is the Pool Referee Quiz, Video, and Answer section.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave, That was funny---you have a way of always being professional amid the personal attacks. Thanks for all the information you provide.

Ps. One of the best sections on Dr. Dave's site is the Pool Referee Quiz, Video, and Answer section.

Here's a personal attack; are you a moron or something? Dr. Dave was not "personally attacked". If anything, DR. DAVE initiated (that means started) the tone with references to pissing contests and such.

Eric >comprehension (that means understanding what you are reading)

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
Yes we have to aim differently for follow shots than for stun shots. If we don't aim finer ( cut the OB more) we will miss. Same on close shots. This is due to CIT (comtact induced throw)
EKKES

Lets get this thread back on track - and address this piece of text.

I have never noticed any need to change the aim for any tip location *ALONG THE VERTICAL AXIS*... CIT or not, the contact point on the OB to the pocket does not change.

A closer CB does generate a slightly different angle though, so it is important to shoot the shot from 1, 2 and 3 diamonds apart.

I'm planning on giving this test some time at the table tonight, so I'll try to make sure I pay attention to any adjustments I make, but to my knowledge, there's no need to change aim/point of contact because of stun or follow or draw.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you. And I'm glad you like the resources on my website (even if I can't run as many balls as Spidey or Eric).

Regards,
Dave

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Lets get this thread back on track - and address this piece of text.

I have never noticed any need to change the aim for any tip location *ALONG THE VERTICAL AXIS*... CIT or not, the contact point on the OB to the pocket does not change.

A closer CB does generate a slightly different angle though, so it is important to shoot the shot from 1, 2 and 3 diamonds apart.

I'm planning on giving this test some time at the table tonight, so I'll try to make sure I pay attention to any adjustments I make, but to my knowledge, there's no need to change aim/point of contact because of stun or follow or draw.

Yes something needs to change..speed and certain types of hits will cause an erratic behavior from the ob.

stljohnny

Silver Member
Yes something needs to change..speed and certain types of hits will cause an erratic behavior from the ob.

Well, there's skid-potential, I suppose, but an actual aiming adjustment? I'm really curious to see if I'm making these types of adjustments automatically, or if that's what's causing some of the misses I run across once in a while (vs just lining up/executing incorrectly). I'm anxious to get out of work and hit the pool hall now. :)

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Well, there's skid-potential, I suppose, but an actual aiming adjustment? I'm really curious to see if I'm making these types of adjustments automatically, or if that's what's causing some of the misses I run across once in a while (vs just lining up/executing incorrectly). I'm anxious to get out of work and hit the pool hall now. :)

Try this, set up a shot that requires you to aim rite at the half ball.Mark the spot so you can repeat this with out any change in the shot.Now hit the shot with draw ,high and a center ball at a high speed.Now do the same thing at a slow speed.Pay attention to where the balls going and i guarantee you will see some erratic behavior.(Side note )make sure your cb is at least 2 diamonds away from the ob and the ob is at least 3 to 4 diamonds away from the end rail.Just to show how much can happen.

Last edited:

stljohnny

Silver Member
Try this, set up a shot that requires you to aim rite at the half ball.Mark the spot so you can repeat this with out any change in the shot.Now hit the shot with draw ,high and a center ball at a high speed.Now do the same thing at a slow speed.Pay attention to where the balls going and i guarantee you will see some erratic behavior.Side not make sure your cb is at least 2 diamonds away from the ob and the ob is at least 3 to 4 diamonds away from the end rail.Just to show how much can happen.

Will do. I know I've seen the OB appear to not get cut enough at slow speeds, but that's due to a skid, if I understand that correctly, so the speed differences are just handling the skid, or as Danny D says "Playing the skid". But, I've never set up a skid-specific test like this sounds to be.

I probably shouldn't try to form any opinions on this exercise before trying it though - so I'll just mark down the layout and shoot through it and look at the results then form an opinion. :)

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is skid? I've heard of CIT, but not clear what skid is. Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is skid? I've heard of CIT, but not clear what skid is. Many thanks in advance.
FYI, CIT and SIT, along with important effects, are demonstrated in the following video:

A complete summary of all throw-related effects, with supporting resources, can be found here (see items 15-25):

Skid is explained and demonstrated here:

Cling (AKA "skid") is an excessive amount of throw (CIT or SIT), usually created by a chalk mark at the ball contact point.

Enjoy,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think if [Dr. Dave] posted an uncut video of Ekke's drill (or Colin's), people would laugh at him. Is that what you're getting at?
Every one of Dr. Dave's posts communicates more useful pool information than all your posts together. And he does it without ever needing to try to belittle anybody's pool skills - something you do all the time.

I guess the difference is that Dr. Dave has enough (well placed) confidence in his knowledge and his posts that he doesn't feel the need to substitute personal attacks for substance.

Oh yeah, and then there's that class thing...

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Every one of Dr. Dave's posts communicates more useful pool information than all your posts together. And he does it without ever needing to try to belittle anybody's pool skills - something you do all the time.

I guess the difference is that Dr. Dave has enough (well placed) confidence in his knowledge and his posts that he doesn't feel the need to substitute personal attacks for substance.

pj
chgo

"Class thing" like stripping people's content from DVDs and AZ posts, mmmkay.

Look who's back from the dead? "Class thing" like how you told the moderator to basically f-off before you got canned for months?

I can see this is gonna be entertaining. Welcome back, head vampire of the "classy" go-offs.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think if [Dr. Dave] posted an uncut video of Ekke's drill (or Colin's), people would laugh at him.

Thank you for the kind remarks.

I still think I can pee farther than Spidey, assuming he doesn't stand on bricks to cancel my height advantage. :cool:

BTW, it is good to see you back on the forum ... again!!! :thumbup:

I guess it's time to bring out the popcorn again. :thumbup2:

Catch you later,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...it is good to see you back on the forum ... again!!! :thumbup:
I think feelings about that are bound to be mixed.

I guess it's time to bring out the popcorn again. :thumbup2:
LOL. Better pop quick!

I see the CTE Attack Clowns are still terrifying you. Wear that badge proudly - lashing out is just what frustrated adolescents do.

pj
chgo