Should the live streamer have stopped filming Billy's match when the verbal back-and-forth began?

Should the live streamer stopped filming Billy's match when the verbal back-and-forth began?

• Yes.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • No.

Votes: 75 78.1%

• Total voters

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where was management? Why did they let it go on for so long.Who wants to listen to all that and try to shoot pool?
That place is a bar-b-q joint in bumfuk Missouri. What else do they have for entertainment? This is probably front-page news down at the local diner and hair salon.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
You repeatedly make statements that suggest you are very unfamiliar- or at least very disconnected- from pool.

It is pool. Few rules/ many cowboys.

When to Use a Release​

Whether you need to obtain a release depends on why you want to use a person’s name or image. If your use is for commercial purposes—for example, using a person’s photo in an advertisement—you need to obtain a release. If your use is for informational purposes such as a documentary film or news article, you may not need a release. However, even if a release is not required, you should be careful that your use does not defame or invade the privacy of the individual. If there’s any potential that your use might violate these laws, a release will provide legal protection. Sorting out these differences can be confusing; examples are provided below. When in doubt, however, obtain a signed release.

You got me. The shame . . .

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When to Use a Release​

Whether you need to obtain a release depends on why you want to use a person’s name or image. If your use is for commercial purposes—for example, using a person’s photo in an advertisement—you need to obtain a release. If your use is for informational purposes such as a documentary film or news article, you may not need a release. However, even if a release is not required, you should be careful that your use does not defame or invade the privacy of the individual. If there’s any potential that your use might violate these laws, a release will provide legal protection. Sorting out these differences can be confusing; examples are provided below. When in doubt, however, obtain a signed release.

You got me. The shame . . .
Nobody questioned that. I only pointed out your perspective is basically inapplicable to most of the pool world.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Law is applicable to pool? Law is inapplicable to videos? Why do we see blurred faces and "cropped" videos everywhere? When one undertakes to video any subject, he cannot determine what the ultimate use of the video will be. Believe this, the first thing mainstream media will ask for is the release. The best practice is to get the release and cover all bases. Employ best practices . . . cover all bases . . . you are right, my views are wholly inapplicable to the pool world.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not own a room/club/bar but if i did it would be old-school video-free. I would respect both mine and my player's privacy. To paraphrase a lil' city out in the desert, "What happens in the poolroom stays in the poolroom." Everybody with a phone is the media these days and they'll do ANYTHING to get some 'likes'.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why hide what quite often occurs in a pool room/ bar setting when folks drink and gamble - this should not be news to anyone who has been around pool for some time, it is not that out of the ordinary, have witnessed and participated in several pool room gambling disputes throughout my life.
It is one reason I have not participated in pool room or bar room pool gambling for the last 30 years. it is also one reason why non billiard related sponsors ( corporate America) have run away from pool for the most part since the hey day of pool in the 20s and 30s.

No reason to hide from reality- I don't see any clean- up advocates doing much about it anyhow.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Last thing I would want to be is a videographer with a $1,000,000 video negotiating with a buyer who requires/demands a release, and I failed to obtain one at the outset. Trying to obtain an "after the fact" release under such circumstances will, in all liklihood, be a very expensive proposition. (Personally, I would chop up the cash in a second but some "businessmen" would see it differently.)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last thing I would want to be is a videographer with a $1,000,000 video negotiating with a buyer who requires/demands a release, and I failed to obtain one at the outset. Trying to obtain an "after the fact" release under such circumstances will, in all liklihood, be a very expensive proposition.
Disconnected again.

Like the players, streamers aren't of sufficient resource to have concern with such things. Can't get blood from a stone.

I have millions owed to me (my employer) that is supported by Court judgements Never gonna get that debt satisfied.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The streamer goes on! Billy realized the contract he signed with Cuetec didn't allow this type of behavior. I also believe Cuetec would of done the same thing if it was SVB. When your a player rep you need to show pool in a positive light at all times.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
No he shouldn't have made the effort to stop the stream. From what I gather the players knew it was being streamed, so what responsibility does the streamer have to manage the recording based on events...?

The more interesting thing at this point is whether or not we see a drop in streamed action matches. Although I think the right precedent has been set here. It may just result in players opting to protect themselves. ...and I'm not just talking about the fringe pros with questionable attitudes. I'm talking about top tier with wouldn't normally say a word out of the side of their mouths. Why run the risk of something slipping and being called out, for no reward...?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the live-streamer doesn’t have any obligation one way or another. It was his choice to make. On one hand he has to decide for himself what best puts food on his plate and he needs to live with whether he got it right or not. One person has said that he might find himself in more demand if he looks out for the players’ interests. I do think that’s not a bad perspective.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not own a room/club/bar but if i did it would be old-school video-free. I would respect both mine and my player's privacy. To paraphrase a lil' city out in the desert, "What happens in the poolroom stays in the poolroom." Everybody with a phone is the media these days and they'll do ANYTHING to get some 'likes'.

yea but also if you did own a room wouldn't you throw out a guy bashing balls on the table and physically assaulting his opponent?