Should we start a petition to change the 5 ball back to orange again?

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck, I still would like to find out the exact year the pink 4 was introduced.
(EDITED) The earliest match I can find is 1996

And surprised I have not found any mention the traditional colors being used at this years DCC

It was odd seeing the traditional colors at the DCC, an event that always seems to feature the latest equipment offerings.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said, I simplified to keep it less cumbersome and it probably wasn't ideal.

That said, the colors that we know as the traditional colors have been the traditional colors for longer than any of us have been alive. Think about that for a moment. There is no pool player or fan alive that knows anything else as the mainstream traditional color scheme. So really, beyond the fact that it has been the same traditional colors for all of our lifetimes, the question of whether they have actually been the mainstream traditional colors for 100 years, 200 years, or 6,000 years is immaterial to the point that was being made because it has been a longer than any of us have been alive.

Changing a certain numbered ball from one color to another (like the 7 ball from red to brown) is unnecessary and dumb enough. Moving one of the historically traditional colors from one ball over to a different ball, like moving the color purple from the 4 ball over to the 5 ball, is a whole new level of idiotic that creates an even stronger mess of confusion yet and is just downright inexcusable. There is almost no good reason for it whatsoever, and a lot of great reason not to do it.

There is literally only one person on earth who likes a purple 5 ball, and that is Emily Frazer. Everybody else falls somewhere between "I hate it but am trying to let it slide because they are doing some other good things in pool" to "I hate it and desperately hope that Emily bitch gets run over by a double decker bus as payback for such a grievous sin".
I have a set of engraved number balls from circa 1890's plus or minus. Check the colors:
Old Balls 002.jpg

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
I’ve been thinking maybe there were no ill intentions here. Maybe after running the stats. On a “normal” set of balls players missed the orange ball more than the purple ball.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
( My 0.002 )
Pool ball colors were fine that is until TV came to light. Then the ball colors had to make adjustments. Some like it many don't.
In a similar reference, black folks didn't photograph well on TV or movies but now google has this new software to balance the difference skin tones.
Different color balls there's complaints but non on googles changing skin tones?
OK, back to pool. Each scenario/venues requires different color shades to differentiate 2 from 4, 4 from 8 and 3 from the 5. I'm not color hindered but there are times the 5 & 3 are nearly identical and the 8 is mistaken for the 4, all because of poor lighting.

OK, so I propose this solution and staying with the original color scheme.
The primary pool ball colors stay as is, red, blue, black & green to which
I've noticed different light conditions they're rather consistent.
But the 1 could be a little deeper yellow while the others... see pix inset.
[ click to enlarge ]
x ball colors.png

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
( My 0.002 )
Pool ball colors were fine that is until TV came to light. Then the ball colors had to make adjustments. Some like it many don't.
In a similar reference, black folks didn't photograph well on TV or movies but now google has this new software to balance the difference skin tones.
Different color balls there's complaints but non on googles changing skin tones?
OK, back to pool. Each scenario/venues requires different color shades to differentiate 2 from 4, 4 from 8 and 3 from the 5. I'm not color hindered but there are times the 5 & 3 are nearly identical and the 8 is mistaken for the 4, all because of poor lighting.

OK, so I propose this solution and staying with the original color scheme.
The primary pool ball colors stay as is, red, blue, black & green to which
I've noticed different light conditions they're rather consistent.
But the 1 could be a little deeper yellow while the others... see pix inset.
[ click to enlarge ]
View attachment 638104
Is this really an issue anymore with high def TV?

dquarasr

Registered
My thoughts on the topic are that there was no reason to change from the traditional colors to begin with and it causes a viewing and playing confusion that is highly detrimental to the game and highly detrimental to the viewing experience. And even if the changes were halfway justifiable at one time (and everybody knows the real main reason for the changes was actually branding), with today's color accurate and highly detailed phone and tv screens it is no longer needed so whatever flimsy excuse you had at one time is now gone.

That said, I think most people could grudgingly accept changing the colors on a couple of balls such as changing the seven ball from red to brown. They don't like it, and they think it is dumb, but they can grudgingly learn the new color and learn to live with it even if they don't like it and don't want it. Because there has never been another brown ball in pool before, you can train yourself to learn that when you see brown it is the seven ball. But for hundreds of years the four ball and only the four ball has been purple and only purple. Purple IS the four ball, period, and there is no training yourself around that and people will forever be making mistakes and getting themselves confused since the four and only the four has been purple and only purple for hundreds of years and so moving a traditional color from one ball to another will never be acceptable. You can replace ball colors (changing 7 from red to brown), but you can never move a traditional color from one ball to another (moving purple from the 4 to the 5).

Sorry Matchroom but your "but we already made the four ball pink" excuse is not a good enough reason to move the color purple over to the five ball. Your pink ball has twenty years of niche history on .01% of ball sets. The color purple has hundreds of years of history on 100% of ball sets and even today is still on 99.99% of ball sets. If a ball color has to be moved then move the pink that has very little history over to be the five ball (or better yet just get rid of pink and make the five ball orange again) because it is more respectful of hundreds of years of history and because it will be the choice that causes faaaaaaaaaaaaar less confusion for everybody.

To move the color purple to a different numbered ball so you don't have to move the pink to a different numbered ball is the absolute height of arrogance (and shortsightedness) on Matchroom's part. By doing so they are essentially saying they believe their couple of years of exceptionally niche ball color "history" is more important than hundreds of years of universal pool ball color history, but even more than that they are showing a total and utter disregard for the viewing (and playing) ease and pleasure of all fans everywhere. Because of their extreme arrogance and bad decision making in this regard I intend to limit my support of Matchroom as much as possible by ensuring they receive none of my money and as little of my other support as possible such as viewing free streams etc until they have rectified things. We can live with replacing a color (such as changing the seven from red to brown) if we must, but moving a historical color is not acceptable under any circumstance and if you use a historical color it must be used in its traditional place.
^^^This

I don’t accept their explanation: “The pink 4-ball having become the reference in official tournaments with the Aramith Tournament TV set, we could not use the light purple for the 4-ball which would have been closer to tradition.”

I call 🐃💩.

I’d buy a t-shirt depicting a purple 4-ball and an orange 5-ball.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I played a set last night in the box at my pool hall, the tight table stream room and they use the dreaded aramith black set of balls.

I had this thread in my mind the whole time 😂 maybe why I lost 5-11 lol.

I sought out the 4 and 5 ball each time after the break and made sure to constantly be checking them. Which sucks. It seems like nothing but when you’re tight and rattled it’s just one more thing bouncing around the ol noggin.

The guy I was playing played shape on the 5 twice while thinking it was the 4. One time he was huffin and puffin and I’m like ...bro you’re freakin perfect. He had missed shape but lucky for him he was playing for the wrong ball and happened upon a perfect angle on that pink 4.

And they’re real nice balls which somehow makes the whole situation even worse. If they were just a shitty set all around I’d feel better but it’s like having some badass car with a dong painted on the side of it. Not kewl.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m the wrong guy to start a online petition because I don’t know how to use the interwebs that good.

But I’m a life long pool player and gambler. The “orange crush” is the 5 and the break. Who wants a “grape crush”?

If we get a petition started I’ll deliver it to Karl Boyes of MR as I’ve know him for 15 years. Or at the very least he can point me in the right direction and we can create a voice loud enough to correct this tragic assault on pool as we know it.

I fully support MR and everything they are doing in pool, I believe we all should get behind them and support their effort. They play players, create content, will give rail birds something to bet on.

Everything but purple 5 balls.

It’s a necessary change to restore what little order we had in pool. None of us ever complained about the 5 ball. God knows we have argued everything else into the ground 10X over. But show me one thread about how bad the orange 5 is. We all have common ground the orange 5 was correct. Possibly the only thing in pool that has been correct all these years.

We can start a international movement here, now is our chance.

Thanks
Fatboy<——-making the 5 orange again
I’m in as well

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Is this really an issue anymore with high def TV?
Not everyone has HiDef TV.
Not every recording is HiDef.
Not everyone has FAST Internet thus causes blur.
Some of the recordings are done via Cell Phones... and we all know how atrocious they are.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make The 4 Ball Purple Again
That just as important!!!!

Fatboy Approved

Thank you for the input.

Best
Fatboy💪😃🙏🏼

Edit: That’s actually more important than the orange 5. If the 4 becomes purple again, the 5 can’t be purple(can it?). Assuming it can’t the could be any other color and I’d imagine orange would be the best choice.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
At the 1:03 mark in the video below Karl Boyes says at some point he is going to do a video about purple/orange five balls etc.

And per the link below, the reason Emily doesn't want to get rid of or change the color of the pink four ball or move pink to a different ball so that purple can go back to where it belongs is because the pink four is a Matchroom "tradition" and she feels the pink four Matchroom "tradition" is more important than the almost exclusive 100+ years tradition of a purple four ball.

So my question is this, and if anybody knows Karl ask him to ask Emily for her answer and report it in the video whenever he gets around to making it (or better yet just include the interview of her answer in the video). So the question is this: why does Emily feel that Matchroom's very niche few years "tradition" of the pink four ball in .01% of the ball sets is somehow more important than and outweighs the 100+ years tradition of the four ball being purple in essentially 100% of ball sets, and especially why does she still feel this way when essentially 100% of pool players and fans are opposed to moving a historically traditional ball color (such as purple) to a different ball? Somebody please have Karl get the answer from Emily and include it in the video.

To me those viewpoints from Emily and Matchroom seem to reek of an absolutely incredible arrogance. They also seem to indicate that Matchroom could not care less about what the fans want even when the fans are in almost universal agreement. These attitudes if true give very serious cause for concern about whether the hands of Matchroom would be the right ones for the future of pool to be in.

Last edited: