Should Winning One Pocket Be Rewritten

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been reviewing my copies of WOP along with SM&S the last few weeks and it got me thinking about a rewrite of these great books. While a lot of the material is very relevant and above the average players head and ability, I can't help but wonder what a newer version of these books would look like?

I am saying using the same layout but using some players of the current and upcoming generation. Maybe input by Efren, Orcollo, Alex, Scott Frost or Tony Cohan.

Do you think there would be enough changes to warrant a rewrite? Or am I just asking for too much?

I would buy the book as I definitely prefer it over a video. I think there are a lot of people that would feel the same way.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you read Tom Wirth's "One Pocket..A Game of Controlled Aggression". It has been said it is the one of the best 1P books ever produced. And it will be a collectable in time. Is Tom's book a rewrite of WOP/SMS or more. It covers a lot of scenarios. Most readers think it's more. I'd like to hear from owners of WOP/SMS how the 2 books compare to Wirth's book. What does one have the other does not. I have not seen WOP/SMS but what I like about Tom's book is his Offensive demeanor. For those that cannot afford WOP get Tom's book for about $60. It's worth more.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Should Winning One Pocket Be Rewritten
my answer
ABSOLUTELY NO

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hmm....the OP's title made me think.....
...but then I thought of Ben Hogan....what Ben said about golf years ago is still relevant...
...a great foundation....but the game and equipment has changed. So what he taught
could be ADDED to.

So if you read Robbins and then Wirth....you'll be doing yourself a big favor.

I have a copy of Wirth I haven't opened yet....this thread has given me the urge to read it.

Thanx to Matt for starting this thread...and thanx to Walter who graciously sent me the book.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Have you read Tom Wirth's "One Pocket..A Game of Controlled Aggression". It has been said it is the one of the best 1P books ever produced. And it will be a collectable in time. Is Tom's book a rewrite of WOP/SMS or more. It covers a lot of scenarios. Most readers think it's more. I'd like to hear from owners of WOP/SMS how the 2 books compare to Wirth's book. What does one have the other does not. I have not seen WOP/SMS but what I like about Tom's book is his Offensive demeanor. For those that cannot afford WOP get Tom's book for about $60. It's worth more.
I second that. Tom's book is outstanding (I have both).

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of the material in WOP and SM&S is similar to the WWYD's you can find at onepocket.org.

However, the responses in the above books are culled from past champions, and on op.org you get a sprinkling of great one pocket minds, along with a lot of Joe Onepocket and 1P cowboy shots.

ER's books also contain a lot of other information and systems within them, as well as being beautifully produced tomes in their own right.

I concur with the others that Tom Wirth's book is the modern classic, and you can build a solid game by studying and practicing the concepts therein.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

They can't be compared because they are totally different imop.

Both are fantastic by any standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
You hush you

One is a workout book the other is a story and shot repertoire book. If forced by gun point I'm going with WOP.

For a beginner I'd probably picks Roma book, not that toms book is for beginners by any means.

Hope that makes sense

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Concerning WWP and SMS and Controlled Aggession

Its heavy content all. I'd love to see all of them in Print on Demand format which doesnt require the author to have tons of copies printed.

Gatekeeper Press

Rob Price

They would set this up and make it possible. The books would be printed in paperback copies and when you order it, they print and send it to you. Its like magic!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Its heavy content all. I'd love to see all of them in Print on Demand format which doesnt require the author to have tons of copies printed.

Gatekeeper Press

Rob Price

They would set this up and make it possible. The books would be printed in paperback copies and when you order it, they print and send it to you. Its like magic!

Doubtful Eddie ever goes for such s thing

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theoretically, all printed books, such as Eddie's 3 books we are all familiar with, will disappear from this planet due to one simple fact - no one is ensuring their survival.

Books get misplaced, damaged, forgotten, and destroyed by a myriad of ways over the years. Even hoarded for whatever reason. But not USED.

So - these books of Eddie's (and all printed material if you will) can be "saved" so to speak - IF Eddie (and the world) wants them to be saved. Or someone else wants them to be saved by buying the rights. And then doing something about it.

I'm thinking the number one and two questions would be "What was the (my) intent of producing a particular book in the first place?" Or "What am I wanting to DO with this knowledge I have?" Was it to make one copy and command a million dollars because the material is that valuable and that's what I want to charge for it.....or do I want the world to have access to the information and knowledge that I posses so they can actually do something with that information and knowledge - vs buy one of the limited in-print books and shelve them so they can say "hey, I have a copy"...

My personal beliefs and goals of preserving all printed material in the realm of cuesists and cuesports we dally in here on AZB extends to the ultimate vision of making them all available to the people that want them. Everywhere and to Anyone. This is the 21st century. Sharing of our knowledge easily and inexpensively to the world masses is one of the great things we have at our disposal that we didn't have even 25 years ago.

So, do we want to see the great SMS, WOP and even the more elusive 3-C rarities of Eddie's slowly disappear and only end up in a museum - or "should" they be saved and disseminated as Robin points out in a lot fewer words than my verbose attempt?

Digital copies and print on demand are the future. But we NEED to have the material to demand and print or this knowledge can never be built upon. We will continuously be starting from scratch. As Eddie did.

I have the volumes. And they are used, read and shared by anyone wishing to do so within my small circle of life. Imagine the possibilities IF these books were made available to the 7.525 billion folks on the pebble today.

Dissemination of information this amazing game entails and that we all share is perhaps the KEY to preserving and saving what we always talk about - cuesports disappearing.

2 cents worth ~

~ K.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I understand that there is a person writing on new book on One Pocket.
He wrote a wildly popular book talked about here on AzB a few years ago.
I think his New Book is called "A Beginners Guide to Playing One Pocket Pool"

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Theoretically, all printed books, such as Eddie's 3 books we are all familiar with, will disappear from this planet due to one simple fact - no one is ensuring their survival.

Books get misplaced, damaged, forgotten, and destroyed by a myriad of ways over the years. Even hoarded for whatever reason. But not USED.

So - these books of Eddie's (and all printed material if you will) can be "saved" so to speak - IF Eddie (and the world) wants them to be saved. Or someone else wants them to be saved by buying the rights. And then doing something about it.

I'm thinking the number one and two questions would be "What was the (my) intent of producing a particular book in the first place?" Or "What am I wanting to DO with this knowledge I have?" Was it to make one copy and command a million dollars because the material is that valuable and that's what I want to charge for it.....or do I want the world to have access to the information and knowledge that I posses so they can actually do something with that information and knowledge - vs buy one of the limited in-print books and shelve them so they can say "hey, I have a copy"...

My personal beliefs and goals of preserving all printed material in the realm of cuesists and cuesports we dally in here on AZB extends to the ultimate vision of making them all available to the people that want them. Everywhere and to Anyone. This is the 21st century. Sharing of our knowledge easily and inexpensively to the world masses is one of the great things we have at our disposal that we didn't have even 25 years ago.

So, do we want to see the great SMS, WOP and even the more elusive 3-C rarities of Eddie's slowly disappear and only end up in a museum - or "should" they be saved and disseminated as Robin points out in a lot fewer words than my verbose attempt?

Digital copies and print on demand are the future. But we NEED to have the material to demand and print or this knowledge can never be built upon. We will continuously be starting from scratch. As Eddie did.

I have the volumes. And they are used, read and shared by anyone wishing to do so within my small circle of life. Imagine the possibilities IF these books were made available to the 7.525 billion folks on the pebble today.

Dissemination of information this amazing game entails and that we all share is perhaps the KEY to preserving and saving what we always talk about - cuesports disappearing.

2 cents worth ~

~ K.

They are probably in the library of congress I'd figure. I'd hope at least

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

2 cents worth ~

~ K.

Great point you make. Remember computers,designed to replace the paper world,have actually added to it. Digital can fail,best have a hard copy somewhere.;)