Shouldn't cue's handle be axe handle shape?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont know about axe handles,but it is entertaining to see a nice looking woman play with one of those cues where the handle resembles a "sex toy". Or so I'm told.;)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as I know, the cue butt does not have to be circular or round.......

Length of Cue: 40 inches [1.016 m] minimum / No Maximum
Weight of Cue: No minimum / 25 oz. [708.75 gm] maximum
Width of Tip: No minimum / 14mm maximum

The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball.
The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather
or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the
cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed..

The ferrule of the cue stick, if of a metal material, may not be more than 1 inch [2.54 cm] in length.

That's all I am familiar with so axe handle shaped cue butts seem permissible.......why one would change I can't begin to fathom but to each their own.

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a neat thread!

We're not Medieval "Schoolmen" who thought all the answers were found in books! We live after Francis Bacon (died 1626). He taught the world that sometimes you just go ahead and do the experiment. In this case, that means getting a cheap cue and buying a plane at a hardware store and shaving down the one side of the grip. Does it help your stroke? What happens to the tip?

By the way, whole bunches of famous players ROLL the cue in their grip hand.

On the subject of rules, I don't know about the rule for US pool, but Johann Scherz, from Austria, always played in billiard tournaments with a cue that had numerous bumps on it so that he could find the right spot on the butt and grip more securely.

Someone with some carpentry skills, please do this experiment and let us know what you find out!

But be careful. Francis Bacon died of pneumonia which he contracted when trying to find out what happens when you freeze a chicken.

Last edited:

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
I've made a handle sort of like that out of a cheap cue- Hammer handle butt1.jpg

It feels quite comfortable to play with, but not earthshattering. I designed a fishing rod grip that is shaped like a hammer handle and that feels much better. We just grip/hold a cue differently than a fishing rod.

Another take away I got from this experiment was I used Flock to cover the newly shaped handle, it feels awesome. I wouldn't mind having on real playing cue.

Great thread.
Stan

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think about it .
Ax handle shape, you won't be able to spin it.
If you do, you will know right away .
Ax handle shape fits the palm perfectly.
Or at least, axe handle shaped butt sleeve ? Should I patent it now ?

If you must always have your cue in the same position on every shot just put a little masking tape on it and keep it in the same position.

I like to spin my cues and to not be forced to always use it in the same position.

Banikane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a cross guard, quillan, or front/rear arm? Assumed there are rules against it but if not might look cool in a medieval nerd sort of way!

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Swing

Think about it .

Do you swing your cue over your head and bring it down onto the cue ball (the axe motion)? If so, then yes, it might make some sense.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Butt design

There is a cue coming out soon that has a plastic piece inlaid into the butt. Its higher than the rest of the butt so you can feel it. I hit some balls with it at a friends house for about 3 minutes as I was leaving. I cant remember the cue maker and don't know if its available yet but its an interesting concept. If I remember right I thought it was a bit over priced for what it was. When I remember the cue maker I will come back and update this post. I liked the fact that I could feel something that let me know exactly what I was doing with the cue. It was interesting.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Think about it .

If you hitting shots with the tip in the same spot all the time, I think the tip would not hold its proper curvature. I do remember a few years back, a three sided shaft, that didn't last.

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha Joey

Although it may not be an axe handle, I preformed some tests a while ago on butts that were not quite round, they worked great, the added weight to the bottom of the cue acted kinda like the keel of a boat. It helped keep the stroke straight and the cue in the same orientation.

The tip would definetly wear on one spot creating a little more tip maintainence, but was not problematic and very manageable.

Here are some pictures of the butt so you have some frame of reference to the concept. I have since came up with some different ideas of the same concept and working on a couple prototypes with splicing tapered wood into the butt starting at the "A" joint and extending all the way to the butt. Needless to say it has been interesting.

Overall it was a fun experiment. It would make for an amazing training cue for instructors. The oblong shape can be turned in any orientation in the grip hand, and feels different when laying in the knuckles of your fingers with a light stroke. I use a stroke slip from time to time and found I was more accurate through a ten shot test on the practice ball with this butt versus a regular shaped cue. When turned up in the web of the thumb the butt allows the shooter to feel small inconsistancys in the wrist. Kinda cool over all.

Anyway I ramble, good luck with the axe handle, it sounds like a good Idea.

Aloha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 113

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the normal round grip

Snooker cues I've seen have a flat butt end that seems to help stabilize the cue on longer shots

I don't know if its legal, but I'm surprised we don't see a rubber or plastic grip molded for a persons fingers like the rubber handgun grips (I don't care for these either) that can be attached to the cue. If nothing else it could be used as a training grip.

Other things you never see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0F1Qjn0Ac