Siming Chen vs Donny Mills

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those non Facebook nits:

Here's what you guys been waiting on and finally we can settle all the talk that has been going around. Details are all below and subject to change.

Game Details:

-9 Ball On The Spot (DCC rules, yes! no talcum powder)
-EVEN
-Winner Breaks
-Rack Your Own
-Break Inside The Box
-A Minimum Of 3 Balls Must Cross The Head String Less Pocketed Balls
-No 9 Ball on the break (spot back/shooter continues)
-No Jump Cues

Equipment Details:

- 9 Foot Diamond Blue Label Top / Standard / Pro Cut
- Simonis 860 / Tournament Blue Color Cloth
- Outsville's Accu-Rack 9 Ball Template Will Be Used

Match Details:

-Best Of 3 Sets
-Race to 21 Each Set
-Only First Set Will Be Played On First Day (Saturday)
-At Least 20k In The Middle Plus Sponsorships
-Feb 23 (Saturday) Match Starts @5pm
-Feb 24 (Sunday) Match Start @5pm
-Third Set Follows Second Set If Necessary With 30 Minute Break

This will be a PPV event and details on how to order will be posted soon.....

DonaldGoingToDeportHer.jpg
 

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chen got this one in the bag.

I know these two has a history and Donny has been around a long time', but I would love to see a more up and coming young talent like Thorpe.
 

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Matches and tournaments like this are something that could create more interest in the sport of Pool. There are very few sports where men and women can compete on equal terms, but Pool is one where they can.

Now if I were a promoter.........
 

iusedtoberich

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think they should stipulate if pattern racking is allowed, especially with any match with Mills. Stating rack your own is ambiguous.
 

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
You're probably right. But I just can't get excited about this one for some reason.
I think I will watch this match. But I know what you mean. But to me, since I'm a big believer in the fact that a person's rating doesn't lie, I would like to see Chen win again by the exact margin that Fargo Rate predicts.

I've never bought into siding with a guy, just because I'm a guy. I am much more interested in seeing the rating system prevail. LOL
 

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I will watch this match. But I know what you mean. But to me, since I'm a big believer in the fact that a person's rating doesn't lie, I would like to see Chen win again by the exact margin that Fargo Rate predicts.

I've never bought into siding with a guy, just because I'm a guy. I am much more interested in seeing the rating system prevail. LOL


I worked at the room when Donny started to learn to play when he couldn't run three balls, so I enjoy seeing him match up with world class players now that he's a strong player. And there's some serious talent involved with his whole pattern racking and run out, it has just gotten stale for me over the years. Not Donny in particular just the whole spectrum of nine and ten ball. I love one pocket but with Jeremy Jones doing the commentary for the Corey match with Bergman I've been excited to watch 8 ball again which surprised the hell out of me, so maybe there's hope for me yet.
 

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now, Siming Chen = 783, Donny Mills = 749.

Plugging that into fairmatch.fargorate.com gives Chen a 78% chance of winning each set to 21.

That would make the match outcome probabilities:
Chen wins 2-0: 61%
Chen wins 2-1: 27%
Donny wins 2-1: 7%
Donny wins 2-0: 5%

Overall, 88% chance that Chen wins, 12% that Donny wins, based on Fargo ratings.
 

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are some shitty odds for Donny. In contrast, Corey is 781 and Justin is 794, less than half the difference between Donny and Chen, but Corey took 3 games on the wire in a similar match up.
 

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Their 10b set went 15-13. I think Chen had a huge lead then Donny came back. I had just watched parts of it on youtube earlier. Some say she got tired? not sure...
 

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...,

I think they should stipulate if pattern racking is allowed, especially with any match with Mills. Stating rack your own is ambiguous.

Pattern racking might help in a match like this, could speed up the game, lead to more run-outs, create a little excitement.
 

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right!

Matches and tournaments like this are something that could create more interest in the sport of Pool. There are very few sports where men and women can compete on equal terms, but Pool is one where they can.

Now if I were a promoter.........

Your right, there should be more of these types of matches, good for the sport so long as they are competitive.
 

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matches and tournaments like this are something that could create more interest in the sport of Pool. There are very few sports where men and women can compete on equal terms, but Pool is one where they can.

Now if I were a promoter.........

I would have thought Matchroom would have "persuaded" ($$) Ga Young and Simeng at least to play in the US Open. GYK is not one bit nervous playing the guys and it would have made the event more interesting with more publicity etc. As it is, the only female i can see for 100% certain is OMGWTF-Some Asian female names could be getting by me.

http://www.matchroompool.com/usopen9ball/#players

PS- I'm picking John Barton to win it all!
 
Last edited:
Top