Six ball run out - criticism wanted

Leigh

Registered
Here is my attempt (this was a good turn out for me) at running six balls. I know I needed more speed on the four, which would have put me further up table on the five, and I wouldn't have left myself such a hard shot on the six. I am only starting to work on pattern play as I have been drilling my fundamentals. It's slow (sorry) as I am trying to slow down and concentrate on every shot.
Thanks, and I hope you guys have a good Christmas, Hanukkah, Atheist Day off, whatever.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You need to work to place the cue ball in the best possible location for the next shot. If you had drawn the cue ball about 8 inches off the 2 in the side, you would have had an angle on the 3 ball (nearly straight) that would have allowed you to get near the head rail for the four ball. Then it would have been easy to go forward from the four, off the side cushion and directly into the line of the 5.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
great bank to end the run
with the bridge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(y)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I like your deliberate approach to each shot.

Good bank under pressure, but I think cutting the 6 is a little higher percentage.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Draw is still a little out of your comfort zone. Don't be afraid to allow your tip to scrape the cloth in your follow through on draw shots. You won't damage the cloth. Practice drawing the cue ball until it becomes one of your strengths. Right now it's a weakness.

Here is my attempt (this was a good turn out for me) at running six balls. I know I needed more speed on the four, which would have put me further up table on the five, and I wouldn't have left myself such a hard shot on the six. I am only starting to work on pattern play as I have been drilling my fundamentals. It's slow (sorry) as I am trying to slow down and concentrate on every shot.
Thanks, and I hope you guys have a good Christmas, Hanukkah, Atheist Day off, whatever.
Good out Leigh. The only thing I saw that was off was if you had shot the four a little harder and got close to side pocket you would have had a lot easier shot on 6 ball. Just need work a little more on speed control. Merry Christmas!

Leigh

Registered
Draw is still a little out of your comfort zone. Don't be afraid to allow your tip to scrape the cloth in your follow through on draw shots. You won't damage the cloth. Practice drawing the cue ball until it becomes one of your strengths. Right now it's a weakness.
It’s huge weakness. I will be drilling this until I can do it... I keep popping the ball up even though I’m keeping my cue really level and low. Thank you for the critique.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It’s huge weakness. I will be drilling this until I can do it... I keep popping the ball up even though I’m keeping my cue really level and low. Thank you for the critique.
I've had good luck improving my draw stroke by looking at the CB as I hit it (during practice) - you can also use a striped ball as your "cue ball", with the stripe horizontal - the bottom edge of the stripe is the miscue limit, giving you a visible tip target (you can also check the chalk mark afterwards to see how you did). Might be surprising how much tip/ball accuracy matters.

pj
chgo

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, need to get some draw working. You can pretty much forget about playing any kind of decent patterns and position
without it.
As stated your set up and fundys seem pretty good. Very consistent and repetitive. Therein lies a bit of a problem as I
see it. You're basically doing the exact same thing on every shot. Same speed, same tip placement (except when trying to
draw off the 2) and don't know if you realize it but zero follow through.
It was hard to see (almost always out of the picture) but as far as I could tell your grip is fairly loose. Stroke looks fairly
straight. All good. As I watch you play however, there seems to be a certain amount of tension in your stroke.
Try to loosen up a little both physically and mentally. Hit the balls hard once in awhile. You need some contrast I think.
Your mechanics and straight stroke are solid enough that you're capable of being more adventurous. Experiment and get
used to moving the CB better. It'll be more fun too.
Hitting the CB the same way all the time is slowing your progress.
Work on the draw. You may need to hit lower but I think the larger problem is too slow a speed and no follow through.
It's not necessary to hit hard to get draw but you seem too slow. Add more speed. That will aid follow through. If you hit
harder and accelerate through the CB you can't help but follow through. Try it.
I myself am very good at soft draw but if I hit that 2 ball at your speed I don't think I'd get more than 6" draw.
GL

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, need to get some draw working. You can pretty much forget about playing any kind of decent patterns and position
without it.
As stated your set up and fundys seem pretty good. Very consistent and repetitive. Therein lies a bit of a problem as I
see it. You're basically doing the exact same thing on every shot. Same speed, same tip placement (except when trying to
It was hard to see (almost always out of the picture) but as far as I could tell your grip is fairly loose. Stroke looks fairly
straight. All good. As I watch you play however, there seems to be a certain amount of tension in your stroke.
Try to loosen up a little both physically and mentally. Hit the balls hard once in awhile. You need some contrast I think.
Your mechanics and straight stroke are solid enough that you're capable of being more adventurous. Experiment and get
Work on the draw. You may need to hit lower but I think the larger problem is too slow a speed and no follow through.
It's not necessary to hit hard to get draw but you seem too slow. Add more speed. That will aid follow through. If you hit
I myself am very good at soft draw but if I hit that 2 ball at your speed I don't think I'd get more than 6" draw.
GL
that was a great post
teriffic analysis and advice
leigh take note

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, who taught you to play? You have a very nice approach. Few people pick this up on their own.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor... I did the pattern Bob called out in his post so you can see what it looks like. See below video. 60 seconds long.

Leigh

Registered
without it.
GL
You’re right! I hadn’t noticed. Thank you.

Leigh

Registered
Just curious, who taught you to play? You have a very nice approach. Few people pick this up on their own.
Mostly the guys at the pool hall help me. I started two years ago and ended up on a team with a couple of guys who showed me the basics. I had a lesson with Jerry Briesath and a phone call with Scott Lee that also helped out. But honestly watching videos and listening carefully to what everyone on this form says has helped.Already the feedback I’ve gotten from this run out has helped me a ton. Working on speed, working on my draw shot, it’s just so helpful to have someone else’s eyes on you.

Leigh

Registered
Merry Christmas to me! Thank you for everyone’s time and input. I’m now working on speed drills and progressive draw shots.
For some reason what Fran said about making my weakness a strength really hit home. Instead of being reticent to practice those weaknesses to make them passable, I’m aiming for perfect.
Also, practicing speed is a lot trickier than I thought it was going to be.

I took it to heart about what sparkle 84 said about me being tense. I think I am. It was actually surprising for me to watch this recording back and see how completely serious and methodical I am when on the inside I’m just so happy that I’m playing. But it doesn’t show. I need to loosen up and let my stroke out and feel more at ease. Thanks again.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be surprised to hear that level isn't necessarily the answer. A slight angle is ok too. The real issue is keeping the same angle or plane all the way through the stroke. If you change your angle mid-stroke you will wind up miscueing under the cue ball or getting no draw at all. And you must continue to accelerate all the way to impact. Do not slow your stroke down just before impact. If you focus on following through it will help prevent slowing down your stroke.