SJM at the 2024 Derby City Classic

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Other than the one pocket rule change after 2 hours of playing…what else did they do?
Tighter tables last year. 4½" corner pockets this year instead of last year's 4¼". The thinking was that the tighter tables last year slowed down many matches.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
When can I provide some free samples for a charity donation.

If the right food is at derby, people won't have to leave so soon. I am trying to establish a footprint at DCC as a food vendor.

Either fresh food or prepacked fresh.

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Tighter tables last year. 4½" corner pockets this year instead of last year's 4¼". The thinking was that the tighter tables last year slowed down many matches.
Right, I forgot about that.

I wonder if…more tables…or less entries would make a difference?

Maybe they could say, “this is what we have, deal with it”.

I could live with that. At least it’s honest.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree 100%. With better technology and event administration, these huge fields could be accommodated in a timely fashion. A simple rule in 9ball might be "at the three-hour mark of a match, the player who is ahead wins." Yes, it's a shame that either player must win in such a match, but there are a few too many marathons between weak players.

Its a shame that the loser can buy back in as well. Sounds like the first couple of rounds are brutal on the schedule. Perhaps some rules to cap buybacks

edit: i now see how much money the buybacks generate.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Some things I missed in my recap:

The Fine Play of Two of the Women
Pia Filler and Kristina Tkach both reached Round 8 in the 9ball event, which is impressive.

Some Rising Young Stars
Pijus Labutis may not have been on the radar of many, but he's a very fine player with a complete skill set. No reason he can't win a major somewhere down the road. Nathan Childress impressed in his first Derby. Lukas Fracasso Verner is, similarly, becoming a dangerous opponent. Vitaliy Patsura showed rock solid form, coming third in the 9ball.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right, I forgot about that.

I wonder if…more tables…or less entries would make a difference?

Maybe they could say, “this is what we have, deal with it”.

I could live with that. At least it’s honest.
I don't think there is any room to put more tables.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
He may have meant $20,000 for each of the 3 events, based on an example I posted in another thread. The example used a buy-back cost of $60 rather than the current $100. I have corrected that.

The roughly 80% high and 60% low I mentioned are for individual disciplines a couple of years each, never for the 3 disciplines combined in a given year.

I was way off with my estimate!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw a guy one year who had apparently ordered *a bunch* of Dominos.

Walked in with his stack and sold out in minutes for what was undoubtably a tidy profit.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Somewhat overstated here. The main reason is Visa issues not poultry.
At least you said “somewhat overstated”.

🤣🤣🤣

I’ve said that to people over the years and they’ve all gone for it. What’s it say that people would really think they might have live chickens in their hotel room for food? 😁

SlateMan

Registered
Perhaps they should have a qualifying tournament before the actual DCC starts. Give the professionals with high enough rankings an automatic qualification to the main events. Make the pre-events bigger and open to lower ranked players and let them play into the main event. Perhaps the top 50 to 100 players from the play in tourney make the main event (I am just making up numbers) but the idea should have some merit. Let the cannon fodder earn their way into the main weeks event.

The payouts should be higher as you can have more entries. The cost for the cannon fodder people would be higher, but the quality of the main event should also be higher....

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the second year in a row, my wife picked up a 30 dollar roast and made jerky out of it.
We broke it down into 2 , 1 gallon bags and me and a friend took one with us.
On the way home ,stopped at a convience store and they are selling it for any where from 9-19 dollars for small ounces.
So stop by our jerky stand next year,we'll be over by the pizza place that's never open.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your figure is high. The percentages of buy-backs I have seen for the 3 events in the past 11 DCCs have ranged from about 60% to about 80%, with two-thirds being a reasonable overall figure for all 3 events over those 11 DCCs. This year was actually one of the highest, at least for Banks and One-Pocket (the data for 9-Ball was not available to me). But if we use the two-thirds figure and your 1,375 entrants, we get 917 buy-backs, for about $92,000. Based on the data I had, it was likely higher than that this year, but certainly less than your $120,000.
I would tend to agree with your numbers and something like 100K in Buyback money, plus $13,750 in entry fee charges at $10 each. The MOT money is $25,000 and the total added money is $75,000, for a total of 100K. If this is correct the Buyback money pays for all this with only a small profit left for Diamond. I'd like to see the prize money in each division to verify all this. I wonder if they are available somewhere.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would tend to agree with your numbers and something like 100K in Buyback money, plus $13,750 in entry fee charges at $10 each. The MOT money is $25,000 and the total added money is $75,000, for a total of 100K. If this is correct the Buyback money pays for all this with only a small profit left for Diamond. I'd like to see the prize money in each division to verify all this. I wonder if they are available somewhere.
Each division's prize fund is (the number of entrants x $150) plus the $25,000 "Guaranteed Added" money. I haven't seen yet how that was broken down this year for each of the places (except $16,000 for first again).