Smorg... AKA Doug

enlightphoto

Like Zen; until I miss...
Silver Member
woof

I just got out of a week in the hospital and a week of home bed rest after falling off a 40' cliff. Today was the first day I fired up my laptop and got to log back into this site. I was very sad to see this post.

As a new member to AZB, I don't know much here, but one thing I recognized instantly was that Doug was the personification of the best of this community.

My mom asked if lying at the base of the cliff whether I had any great 'life revelations'. She was suprised when I said, "No, not really". I just considered myself extremely lucky that my injuries weren't any worse, as I thought what could have been...

Reading through every entry on this thread re-affirms how much potential we each have to affect others for the better. The outpouring of emotion and sentiment here proves how much of an effect Doug had within this community, and how many lives he was able to touch.

I hope his passing reminds us all to re-examine and cherish the big & important things in life, and that we can all take a little bit of how he helped to shape this forum, and consider how we can all make our small corners of the universe just a little bit better for those around us.

Years ago, I learned that there is a word to use, when no other word seems to fit or adequately describe how one feels; "woof."

Rest in Peace, Sir. I only knew of you oh-so briefly, but your impact here shall certainly live on through the fond memories of so many that you touched. Cheers to you & your spirit, and my condolences to those you left behind.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got out of a week in the hospital and a week of home bed rest after falling off a 40' cliff. Today was the first day I fired up my laptop and got to log back into this site. I was very sad to see this post.

As a new member to AZB, I don't know much here, but one thing I recognized instantly was that Doug was the personification of the best of this community.

My mom asked if lying at the base of the cliff whether I had any great 'life revelations'. She was suprised when I said, "No, not really". I just considered myself extremely lucky that my injuries weren't any worse, as I thought what could have been...

Reading through every entry on this thread re-affirms how much potential we each have to affect others for the better. The outpouring of emotion and sentiment here proves how much of an effect Doug had within this community, and how many lives he was able to touch.

I hope his passing reminds us all to re-examine and cherish the big & important things in life, and that we can all take a little bit of how he helped to shape this forum, and consider how we can all make our small corners of the universe just a little bit better for those around us.

Years ago, I learned that there is a word to use, when no other word seems to fit or adequately describe how one feels; "woof."

Rest in Peace, Sir. I only knew of you oh-so briefly, but your impact here shall certainly live on through the fond memories of so many that you touched. Cheers to you & your spirit, and my condolences to those you left behind.

What a nice post. I certainly hope you're feeling better! :)

I can definitely identify with the "woof." :p

There is another forum I frequent (non-pool related) where one of the regular posters had not posted in a long time. She always made great contributions to the forum and was quite popular. Sadly, after a little inquiring from others, we found out she passed away from breast cancer. We all thought she had beat it, but apparently, it had come back.

Sometimes Smorgie would write to me and say he would call me "YAM" instead of "JAM" because I was sweet. I'm still missing Smorgie. He is in my thoughts, more so in recent times, and I don't know why. :frown:

ugotda8

Pool Room Owner
Silver Member
I didn't know Doug, and I regret that. He obviously has a lot of people here on AZ that care a lot about him.

To all of you...I am very sorry for your loss.

Darth

Cyber Fox 4/8/96-7/1/09
Silver Member
Miss You Smorgy.................

I am another az'er that never had the honor of meeting Doug but I really enjoyed his posts and sense of humor. My thoughts are with his family and friends and all of his az buddies. NOTE TO THE MODS: Please retire Smorgass Bored's name and keep all of his posts active so we can reflect on his genius from time to time. RIP Doug.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry to hear this news. I guess I was in denial, I thought he would get past this.

He will be missed.

BrandyWine

Mike's Better Half
Silver Member
Mike created an area on the AZ Forum that is called "AZB Hall of Fame".

This is where all these posts will be moved to later. He also put Smorg's name in RED. Other's to follow suit. He is temporarily leaving this on the main thread for all to see. The AZB Hall of Fame is a special area to honor those in pool that have passed, please refrain from "atta boy" threads.

Smorg will remain active so that everyone can view his threads, Green Rep can keep coming in for years to come.

Thank you.:thumbup:
Mike and Donna
I am another az'er that never had the honor of meeting Doug but I really enjoyed his posts and sense of humor. My thoughts are with his family and friends and all of his az buddies. NOTE TO THE MODS: Please retire Smorgass Bored's name and keep all of his posts active so we can reflect on his genius from time to time. RIP Doug.

the9ballroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read this today and I find myself stopping to pause and remember one of the greats of the forum.

I met Smorg once in Tampa at a tourney, and let me tell ya...I have met very few people that I thought more of. He was a standup guy with a great smile and a great attitude about those in the pool world. I loved chatting with him and he kept trying to buy me a beer...but I wouldn't let him cause I told him it stunted my growth *wink*

Take care Smorg...deal me a hand for when I get there and I will save ya a rack or two of one hole.

Roller

edatplaypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am so sorry

Im sorry to have to pass the news on but Yesterday afternoon he left us and went to a better place. I got the call from Barbara his wife around 7pm. We have lost a forum member and a very very great man. Doug will always be remembered by me as my POPS and will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife right now as she moves on and has things to take care of..:(:(:(

I am so sorry to hear this. I was at the Rack's tournament in Titusville when Doug came in with his walker. I remember the rsb days when he was doing battle with Mountain Mike and Jimbo. Doug was a big supporter of playpool.com and our message board there as well. The pool internet community will not be the same without him. This is as significant as losing Jim Meador, only more so since there are so many more people posting now and so many more that Smorg has touched.

edatplaypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pictures of Doug

Im sorry to have to pass the news on but Yesterday afternoon he left us and went to a better place. I got the call from Barbara his wife around 7pm. We have lost a forum member and a very very great man. Doug will always be remembered by me as my POPS and will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife right now as she moves on and has things to take care of..:(:(:(

If anyone has never seen Doug, there are some pictures from the Titusville tournament
http://web.archive.org/web/20050108095545/www.playpool.com/rsbasp/rsbrogue/tours/9806FL1.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20050111081653/www.playpool.com/rsbasp/rsbrogue/tours/9806FL2.htm

And his entry at the RSB Rogues Gallery.
http://web.archive.org/web/20041216161301/www.playpool.com/rsbasp/rsbrogue/w.htm#smorgass

He was quite a ball online and in person. Way to live life to the fullest Doug!

ljmoss

L J Moss
Silver Member
Remembering with Becky

If anyone has never seen Doug, there are some pictures from the Titusville tournament
http://web.archive.org/web/20050108095545/www.playpool.com/rsbasp/rsbrogue/tours/9806FL1.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20050111081653/www.playpool.com/rsbasp/rsbrogue/tours/9806FL2.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20041216161301/www.playpool.com/rsbasp/rsbrogue/w.htm#smorgass

What fun we all had with Doug back in the start of the RSB days How we
all come to know and love him. last years we all migrated to AZ. Becky , you and your hubby became very close to Doug.And yes DOUG had more fun than anybody at your RSB tournament. it was the very 1st RSB tournamnet held in the country. the bca trade show was going in orlando and all the rsbers from around the country came to your room in titusville from the trade show. god! what a turn out.! what a sight Doug was! nobody knew him yet except for his "mouth" on RSB. when everyone found out that the guy in that disquise was SMORG IT MADE IT BETTER THAN EVER.(didnt bob jewett win that?)
Remember when we all ended up at "Pickles" pool room in NEW ORLEANS. (dougs neck of the woods as he said) during the bca trade show, to have a RSB TOURNAMENT? SMORG, you and your hubby, greg sullivan, joey,bob jewett, and many others. i think joey won that darn tournament, course it was his own pool room . thats where i fell in love with the diamond tables.
i remember how he looked forward to meeting Hal Houle when he came to Florida to stay with jack and i for 6 weeks. The 3 of us ventured to tampa to meet Dougy at his Planet 9 Ball and had a great time, especially watching Doug try to grasp the aiming systems from HAL. DISBELIEF BECAME BELIEF on that day. too funny to see. Jack and i usually see Dougy once or so a year as we pass through Tampa. The last viking tour, Jack shot was in Tampa. we called Dougy, and to the pool room he came. He and i traded shots while Jack played in the tournament. I shall treasure that day, as the last day i saw him and his health was pretty good at the time.,
We have all lost a great friend.

LJ Moss

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

What memorable pictures! That was the Doug I will always remember.

BTW, whatever happened to Ghosst? Did he change his screen name or just drop out of pool?
Thanks again for the pictures. I didn't make it to Titusville but enjoyed your pictures immensely.
JoeyA

The Hamster

David Malone
Silver Member
BTW, whatever happened to Ghosst? Did he change his screen name or just drop out of pool?

He dropped in on us at a GWN pool tournament back in 2001. Hadn't been playing much even at that point.

Last I heard of Ghosst was in July of 2004 and he was back in Canada... Calgary, AB I think. He was married and had lived in the UK for 3 years or so before coming home.

He still owns the domain www.Ghosst.com and that will forward you to a MSN account if you need to get in touch.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
He dropped in on us at a GWN pool tournament back in 2001. Hadn't been playing much even at that point.

Last I heard of Ghosst was in July of 2004 and he was back in Canada... Calgary, AB I think. He was married and had lived in the UK for 3 years or so before coming home.

He still owns the domain www.Ghosst.com and that will forward you to a MSN account if you need to get in touch.

So much for that pool career. :wink:
Good to hear from you David. Those were the days, my friend.

JoeyA

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
to all of smorgie's friends:

this is from Tampa Bay Online; Tuesday, March 24, 2009:

"Alan "Douglas" Winslow
WINSLOW, Alan "Douglas," 63, of Tampa, finally made peace with the Lord and gave up his fight with congestive heart failure. He was a resident of New Orleans for 40 years, he attended Warren Easton High School and served in the U.S. Marine Corps. Douglas leaves behind an adoring wife of 22 years, Barbara Heffler Winslow. He is also survived by a daughter, Lisa M. Winslow; brothers; Gary T. Winslow, Mark Winslow and Robert Winslow; and grandchildren, Whitney, Jessica and Jason. Douglas wishes to thank his 100' s of AZBilliards friends for their prayers and support throughout these difficult times. A private cremation will take place. In lieu of flowers, a tribute page has been set up on the American Heart Foundation site and donations are appreciated...IMO"

http://legacy.com/TBO/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=125095871

so... sad, but gotta love the last word: "IMO"

see ya later smorgie,
smokey

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That isn't the news I was hoping to encounter when I opened this thread.
Doug has been one of my favorites to follow through the forum for alot longer than I have been registered on here, and I just wish I had the opportunity to shake his hand and enjoy some more of his stories.
Our prayers go out to the family, and I know Doug is looking down on us right now, working out a way to break out the smiles, and stir up the memories of the good times we have all shared with him in one way or another.
You will be missed my friend-
RIP, and more greenies on their way to #1.

Semper Fi Amigo-
It is apparent this fellow was loved by many people, just want to express my sorrow to the friends and family.
I for one believe that is no point in feeling fear for what is yet to come in the end, do all you can now........while there is time and if not......Bless you

Condolences to all the friends

Willy

Reactions: sde