Smorgass Bored Update

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
I posted this on a BigTruck thread awhile back -- thought a repost was justified and in order

[size=+2]Doug,

Although I am 62, I am a newborn on AZ. I have heard so many people refer to you and always in a kind way. I took it upon myself to go back and read some of the myriad of comments you have made. It is obvious from reading same that you are as so many have said you are -- a special individual, special indeed. As a retired Air Force member and Agent Orange survivor -- I salute you sir! You have touched many from afar and I am proud to be counted among them.

My prayers and best wishes to you my friend from afar, who is yet so close!
[/size]

For those who have recently become part of the AZ family as I have -- do yourself a favor and go back and read the comments made by this remarkable man and you too will see why he is so well loved by so many.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very Nice!

cmbwsu said:
I posted this on a BigTruck thread awhile back -- thought a repost was justified and in order

[size=+2]Doug,

Although I am 62, I am a newborn on AZ. I have heard so many people refer to you and always in a kind way. I took it upon myself to go back and read some of the myriad of comments you have made. It is obvious from reading same that you are as so many have said you are -- a special individual, special indeed. As a retired Air Force member and Agent Orange survivor -- I salute you sir! You have touched many from afar and I am proud to be counted among them.

My prayers and best wishes to you my friend from afar, who is yet so close!
[/size]

For those who have recently become part of the AZ family as I have -- do yourself a favor and go back and read the comments made by this remarkable man and you too will see why he is so well loved by so many.

Thanks for the nice post Bob!

It hasn't come up much, but Doug is a Marine. He is one tough Hombre! ;) I know he will not give up without one hell of a fight!

Doug has brought so much joy and order to the forums. He is a true gentleman! He WILL make you laugh, but don't cross him or his friends! He WILL bop you!! IMO.

Several of us teamed up and sent Doug an original ET doll like the one he got his mom. Barbara is gonna hang it on his IV rack while he is asleep! LOL. I would give anything to see his face when he sees it!

Keep the prayers going people!!

Ray
(Semper Fidelis)

Last edited:

JesPiddlin

Designed by Mother Nature
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:
...Several of us teamed up and sent Doug an original ET doll like the one he got his mom. Barbara is gonna hang it on his IV rack while he is asleep! LOL. I would give anything to see his face when he sees it!

That is exactly what I wanted to do, but since I couldn't, I figured the next best thing would be to mention the story. Because it's one of my favorites, the circumstances brought it to mind for me.

Did I miss an address of where to send cards and letters (and ET dolls)?? I thought I went through all the posts in this thread, but I didn't see that. I guess I need to go back through all the messages, again.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
You didn't Miss it....

JoeyA said:
NO!

Doug doesn't want any phone calls, cards, notes, pictures and such.
That is his request.

JoeyA

Doug has made the above special request via JoeyA. We had to do something though! IMO

Joey agreed and Barb got on board. It will arrive Saturday. It will be from ALL his friends at AZ!

Ray

JesPiddlin

Silver Member
Bigtruck said:
Doug has made the above special request via JoeyA. We had to do something though! IMO

Joey agreed and Barb got on board. It will arrive Saturday. It will be from ALL his friends at AZ!

Ray

That's what I thought I had read. I'm glad you guys did that, though. I wanted to, but was limited by my lack of knowledge of his more specific whereabouts.

My dad made a request like that. I forgot and told everyone where he was and the letters, cards, notes, and emails came pouring in. To make matters much more interesting, while he was in the hospital, his birthday was coming soon and I told everyone in time to send cards and stuff. What a surprise I got, when everyone was so excited, because he never would tell anyone when his birthday was, so they couldn't send anything!! He got all sorts of acknowledgement and it made him all excited to have received all the attention. I was so glad I had forgotten and goofed, like that.

My dad lived another 2 1/2 months after that and he smiled and laughed (even through the pain) and kept the whole hospital in stitches. He told the therapists not to drop their patients on their heads too many times, etc.. Fell out of his chair once and said he thought we'd had an earthquake! (He was in northern Louisiana.)

Don't worry, JoeyA. I'm not saying you should go against Doug's wishes. I was sharing a time when having forgotten turned out to be a really good thing.

JesPiddlin

Silver Member
Sorry. I accidentally posted that last message before I got to read it.

I meant to tell you guys thanks for doing that. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when he sees it!! :eek: :rotflmao: :shocked2: :rotflmao:

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:
Several of us teamed up and sent Doug an original ET doll like the one he got his mom. Barbara is gonna hang it on his IV rack while he is asleep! LOL. I would give anything to see his face when he sees it!

Ray
(Semper Fidelis)
I was so happy when I read this. I think Doug is going to get a real kick out of that doll, and I pray that it helps to lift his spirits a bit during these trying times. It sure is nice to know that people from AzB are going to be able to give back some of the joy and humor that Doug has always shared with us, even if it is only a small fraction.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's corny, but Doug will like it !!!

An old joke goes like this;

A guy worked for years at the circus. His job was a human cannonball.
Every night, and two matinees on Sat. and Sun, he got shot out of a cannon.
One day he walked up to the ringmaster and said "I quit" !
The ringmaster said, "QUIT..... you can't quit, where will we find a man of your caliber" ?

You CAN'T QUIT Doug, there is no one of your caliber, to take your place !
Bop that doctor one, and make him fix you. Godspeed.

Dick

Last edited:

jackson

"The Sleekly Drifter"
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:

Ray
(Semper Fidelis)

...and can you just imagine the post he'll (present tense thank you) write about it!!! - makes me smile just to think about it - Jackson (Ooh-Rah Doug!!)

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a picture of the famous ET that smorgie will be getting?
I just keep laughing everytime I read about it, omg I hope he
doesn't laugh his bed pan off.
lol

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Gunn_Slinger said:
Is there a picture of the famous ET that smorgie will be getting?
I just keep laughing everytime I read about it, omg I hope he
doesn't laugh his bed pan off.
lol

Here ya go!

eabb_2.JPG

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol

tap tap tap....

thanks for taking care of Smorgie for all of us who are far away!!

td

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a close up

The seller wasn't kidding about the hard to find part! LOL This is the ONLY "original and new" one that I could find anywhere!!

It wouldn't surprise me if it's the exact same as the one he got his mom! LOL

Now let's laugh about this for years Doug!!!

Keep those prayer going people!!

Thanks,

Ray

dsp_ebay_feb_18_019.jpg

dsp_ebay_feb_18_020.jpg

brand new with tags (very, very hard to find!) plush E.T. He was an exclusive from Toys R Us. Would make a wonderful gift! Made exclusively for Toys R Us by Universal Studios. His item number is #39400. He is not the talking E.T. He is wonderful! His pointy finger is intentionally faded and yellow at the tip for a "glow" effect (he was made and purchased this way). He measures 12" tall.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There must be something about that movie! When my soon to be college grad daughter was a very young girl ET came out. She was enthralled to the point that we bought her the video. She watched it over and over, my wife and I couldn't believe it. She would sit there totally mesmerized by it, so engrossed that nothing else would even interest her. Brings back some special memories for me and I am sure the ET gift you folks have sent to Smorgie will do the same for him!!
My hats off to all involved!!
Dan

BigDogatLarge

Da pool gods are laughin'
Silver Member
It's great you guys sent Doug "The Creature". It is sure to lift his spirits and help him along the path to wellness.

I am proud to be in the midst of great people like you, it is very humbling.

Thank you,

Dwight

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
BigDogatLarge said:
It's great you guys sent Doug "The Creature". It is sure to lift his spirits and help him along the path to wellness.

I am proud to be in the midst of great people like you, it is very humbling.

Thank you,

Dwight

Barb has received E.T. The owner/shipper made special arrangements to get it out yesterday evening instead of shipping it today.

She knows what to do with it as she has heard the creature story from Doug himself. :D

You make me proud to be a part of your family.

Doug's response to follow as soon as he "sees" it.
JoeyA

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
Barb has received E.T. The owner/shipper made special arrangements to get it out yesterday evening instead of shipping it today.

She knows what to do with it as she has heard the creature story from Doug himself. :D

You make me proud to be a part of your family.

Doug's response to follow as soon as he "sees" it.
JoeyA

Thanks for the update.