Sneaky Pete Cues ……

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Here’s what I’d do if I were a cue maker. I’d release a limited series of SP cues periodically.
The intermittent timeframe between series of cues released must be relatively long length.

So maybe ever decade but how many years of cue making does one have so that might be
too long. How about every 5 years & not more than 5 series releases. Call it the 55 SP Project.

The first thing that came to mind was make the series only 5 cues but that’s not enough. There
needs to be more than a few but not too many. How about a bakers dozen?….13 cues & 1 cue
from each series is retained by the cue maker so only 12 cues are available for order. The cues
retained out of each series make up a 5 of 5 complete set. Each series needs a identifying mark.

So if the cues sold for $800 - $1000, the cue maker would realize would $10-12k of revenue. If
the cues sold for $700, that’s still $8500. I imagine if Barry Szamboti made the cues, the price
would be a lot higher than what the Scruggs cue sold for. Gosh, there are so many great cue
makers out there that I envision that someone one might shoot for a collection of SP cues by the
biggest names in cue making. Anyway, I think it would be something that would persist for years.
There are no more good house cues to chop

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Well, by coincidence I just finished modifying this mid-late 80’s Meucci
sneaky tonight with a new butt.

D1D17872-408A-4BC4-BFE6-DAFFF42C8298.jpeg

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
I have a Carmeli fancy sneaky conversion that I have really enjoyed. All rings are below the pin so that you can go natural, kielwood or carbon fiber and they look good. It was originally a Dufferin and is 60".

Attachments

• 1669113314890.png
    1669113314890.png
    324.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 1669113335096.png
    1669113335096.png
    301.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 1669113354674.png
    1669113354674.png
    287.9 KB · Views: 94

GentlemanJames

Speaking as a Completely "Sneaky" Guy, I have only one word to say in the world of SP cues: SCHMELKE.

I totally get people into fancy and expensive inlaid cues, but all I care about is performance - and most of that comes from ME - so, after all these years, no 'visually stunning' cue is going to up my game; AND, I am a totally Low-Profile kind of guy - $1 McDonald's Coffee, 50 cent Master Chalk, $2 Elk Master tip - so all I have now are SP's. I sold off everything else years and years ago; and, added that money back into my bankroll.

More power to the cue collector's and the fancy cue makers; but, David Schmelke makes all I want/need in a cue, and at a price in-line with what I feel is reasonable to pay for a working tool - and, that's hard to find in today's economy!

Last Thursday, I received my new R052: 18 oz., 12.5mm x 16" Taper Redheart 4-Prong SP with NO Logo, last week, delivered under $200; goes great with my $1 McD's coffee and 50 cent Master Chalk and $2 Elk Master tip idea of want I need to spend on my tools. - GJ

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I never got into sneaky prte thing, still say Cue can do nothing on own sitting in rack. Be it 20K Black Bore, or 50 Buck Player used SP.

Takes person to use the Cie to play good or bad.

Value is placed by market, friend & wife just did Elton John Concert. Tickets were $1,000.00. Tony said show was great.

If the tickets were free, I would not deal with parking, getting in, and out of place. Everyone values are different.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
IMHO all sneaks by big name cue makes have jumped in price in the past few years, I remember when a sneaky brand new could be purchased from "400-600" range I got a used Ebony into birdseye Diveney for $400, Never should have sold it. Now! good luck getting any sneaky Pete brand new for under $1000 lol

Rusty in Montana

One of my prized possessions is the Dufferin bar cue that Billy Saunders made into a sneaky Pete pool cue better known as a BillyBuska the first one I sen he made for his brother Lance who was a very good pool player .
The over all length is 64" if I remember correctly with 13 mm shafts I still shoot with it from time to time my second sneaky Pete is a older predator SP and it's got a 312 uni loc joint a fun cue also .

I like the idea of a limited number of sneaky Pete cues but they have a special place in my heart .

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
IMHO all sneaks by big name cue makes have jumped in price in the past few years, I remember when a sneaky brand new could be purchased from "400-600" range I got a used Ebony into birdseye Diveney for $400, Never should have sold it. Now! good luck getting any sneaky Pete brand new for under $1000 lol
They're cashing in, who can blame them , and I like those sneakies with the butterfly butts, I just don't like them enough to pay 800 plus for one

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I have several I win for free in apa tournaments with apa logos on the butt end, superb craftsmanship and some real pretty wood for free cues. I kept every one of em. One has some curly maple, one has a real shiney red looking wood.
And free!

With big ol 13mm maple shafts that go clunk! I love the clunk

DeeDeeCues

I've made one sneaky. I won't do another unless I find a really nice butt.

Sneakies are boring to make and can take a lot of time. I have several sneakies and like them well enough, but I have no interest in building another.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking as a Completely "Sneaky" Guy, I have only one word to say in the world of SP cues: SCHMELKE.

I totally get people into fancy and expensive inlaid cues, but all I care about is performance - and most of that comes from ME - so, after all these years, no 'visually stunning' cue is going to up my game; AND, I am a totally Low-Profile kind of guy - $1 McDonald's Coffee, 50 cent Master Chalk, $2 Elk Master tip - so all I have now are SP's. I sold off everything else years and years ago; and, added that money back into my bankroll.

More power to the cue collector's and the fancy cue makers; but, David Schmelke makes all I want/need in a cue, and at a price in-line with what I feel is reasonable to pay for a working tool - and, that's hard to find in today's economy!

Last Thursday, I received my new R052: 18 oz., 12.5mm x 16" Taper Redheart 4-Prong SP with NO Logo, last week, delivered under $200; goes great with my $1 McD's coffee and 50 cent Master Chalk and $2 Elk Master tip idea of want I need to spend on my tools. - GJ
I owned a TS SP- I don't think that it was worth even close to the price that I paid in terms of playability- but the TS SPs Are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for one- so the current $1K + pricing is where they are sitting right now- that is the market.

That said- I too, am awaiting my first Schmelke SP- totally customized from tip to ferrule, to shaft taper, to joint type, weight, etc.--ALL for under $180- full splice Bacote- just like my prior TS SP that cost me $1100! The TS was not as customized as the Schmelke in so many aspects.

I will be curious as to how the two cues ( Schmelke and TS) compare in terms of playability. Bacote into maple, TS said those were his best hitting SPs; so the comparison will be fair as the woods will be identical- it may be 3 months before I receive my Schmelke. I'll do a report on here.

Having a completely customized cue with quality woods- Schmelke offers Cocobola, Ebony, Rosewood, Bacote - for under $200 is like pricing from over 20 years ago when Muellers was offering customized SPs at around $160 - those SPs are sought after now. They were called professional SPs in the old Mueller catalogs for those that remember - advertised as " for those looking for a little something extra".

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are no more good house cues to chop
And I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but established cuemakers don't see the return for creating a s/Pete from scratch.

The dollars to hours ratio is no good and the only way they can make it better is to use a blank made by someone else...which now isn't the maker's cue.

Also, he really has no control over the blank's quality. If there are issues after sale, he has to suck it up or admit what he sold as his wasn't actually such.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you should post in the ask the cuemakers forum
"why dont you make more sneaky's?"

Clusterbuster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saying that a custom cue maker’s sneaky pete’s would all sell out isn’t necessarily a point in favor of their making them. Good custom cue maker’s cues sell out anyway. The real issue is not if a cue will sell out but the profit margin on a given cue. I don’t know enough about a cue maker’s typical profit margin to speculate but I suspect this is where the crux of the issue lays.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
And I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but established cuemakers don't see the return for creating a s/Pete from scratch.

The dollars to hours ratio is no good and the only way they can make it better is to use a blank made by someone else...which now isn't the maker's cue.

Also, he really has no control over the blank's quality. If there are issues after sale, he has to suck it up or admit what he sold as his wasn't actually such.
Makers used to make them for grocery money.
I was in the late cue maker Judd's shop one day around 1995. He had a big trash bucket full Valley and Dufferin chopped house.cues. Back in those days, he picked them up from different pool halls.
He made and sold sneaky Pete's for $175 then.
He said he could finish 3 in one day.