Sneaky Pete Cues ……

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Got lucky about a year ago and got hold of a Mueller's Sneaky, used from back when they were
a solid go-to. Wanted a new shaft for it placed an order with Schmelke, About $100.00 for the
new shaft, $125.00 for the cue itself. Works great for me as a bar cue. Had Ryan at RAT cues do
a re-furruel & tip on the shaft that came with the cue. Now I have a spare for it if needed.

hank

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
The modifications you performed turned out exquisite looking.
Very stylish and so subtle this SP cue has subdued elegance.
Bravissimo……well done……excellence and beauty combined.
Thank you for the nice comments. Even with the little flaws I really like it too.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've made one sneaky. I won't do another unless I find a really nice butt.
Get to work.
Screenshot_20211104-194028__01.jpg

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the SBE one year Tim was there with Mike. They had a show special - sneaky pete with two shafts for $265.00.
I remember and almost bought one. But I already had the Meucci SP. I am happy with the one I have even if I couldn’t get as much for it now.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much would you pay for a SP cue that was brand new and built with the specs you wanted?

How many cue makers would want to launch a SP cue project in 2023 with only a limited # of cues?

I think it would be cool to see a SP cue project on Az like the days bygone. The tribute cues that Dean
promoted were entertaining and interesting to follow on Az. Why not a stepped down version with SP
cues? Heck, if Schmelke Cues wanted to offer this with a limited run, their SP cues are so inexpensive
what could they build in the way of a SP cue for $400-$500? Is there a cue maker out there that wants
to garner some attention, IMO, this is an easy way to accomplish that and also make a little money too.

So how much would you spend, assuming this appealed to you, for a SP cue built to your specs, i.e.,
butt weight and shafts? If this were to actually happen, what number of SP cues should be in a limited
production run? Keep in mind it has to be worth a individual cue maker’s time. So maybe 12, 25 or even
50 SP cues (one for every state) released in two series of 25 each. If the 1st series wasn’t a big hit, the 2nd
series wouldn’t ever happen. But if the first one was popular, then let people who missed out get another
chance at getting a limited edition SP cue. It’s important that the project have a finite number of pool cues.

Where are all the ambitious cue makers that might want to undertake this? Years from now when I am not
around, these cues will still exist and people will ask…..Hey, where’d you get a Garten Bierbower SP cue,
or maybe Eddie Cohen? Like I originally posted, I wish I had done this when my pal, Jerry Rauenzahn, was
still active. This would have been a fun project but the cues likely would have been more like at least a grand,
and likely more. It was because the 360 design was the SP cue design we were discussing instead of points.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Speaking as a Completely "Sneaky" Guy, I have only one word to say in the world of SP cues: SCHMELKE.

I totally get people into fancy and expensive inlaid cues, but all I care about is performance - and most of that comes from ME - so, after all these years, no 'visually stunning' cue is going to up my game; AND, I am a totally Low-Profile kind of guy - $1 McDonald's Coffee, 50 cent Master Chalk, $2 Elk Master tip - so all I have now are SP's. I sold off everything else years and years ago; and, added that money back into my bankroll.

More power to the cue collector's and the fancy cue makers; but, David Schmelke makes all I want/need in a cue, and at a price in-line with what I feel is reasonable to pay for a working tool - and, that's hard to find in today's economy!

Last Thursday, I received my new R052: 18 oz., 12.5mm x 16" Taper Redheart 4-Prong SP with NO Logo, last week, delivered under $200; goes great with my $1 McD's coffee and 50 cent Master Chalk and $2 Elk Master tip idea of want I need to spend on my tools. - GJ
That was my first true sneaky. 60 inch Schmelke. It is now my "truck sneaky" that I dont mind leaving in my vehicle from time to time.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an amateur cue builder here in Colorado that finds house cues with good looking wood and adds a joint,pin and sometimes some rings and a new finish that play great and sells them for around $300.
He did convert a 100+ year old house cue that hit like a Mack truck and sold it for $400 and I passed on it.
I told the guy that bought it if he needed money I would buy the cue.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the SBE one year Tim was there with Mike. They had a show special - sneaky pete with two shafts for $265.00.
Yeah paying over a grand for these will be like musical chairs soon....and they won't have a seat

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makers used to make them for grocery money.
I was in the late cue maker Judd's shop one day around 1995. He had a big trash bucket full Valley and Dufferin chopped house.cues. Back in those days, he picked them up from different pool halls.
He made and sold sneaky Pete's for $175 then.
He said he could finish 3 in one day.
Right- I don't think many CMs actually made the cue butt themselves for their SPs. If the old time makers turned out a few SPs- I know that they were from Brunswick or some other pool room house cues- I once had a Paradise SP from an ebony house cue- sorry that I sold it. I think that Schmelke, Valley, Dufferin, etc. supplied many of the post 1980 independent SP makers who worked in smaller shops.

What actually makes an SP play well: I would consider a quality wood spliced butt into quality maple forearm, proper joint alignment and fit, a quality wood shaft with the desired taper and shaft diameter, and a ferrule/tip configuration that compliments the cue in terms of the players desired hit characteristics. The SP should be weighted and balanced to the desired players specs as well. This is why I was awed by the Schmelke SP offer on Billiard Warehouse with every conceivable customizable option available for under $200 total!

You were talking 1995 at $175 and not nearly as customized as the Schmelke options today- 27 years later and even less money - shipped!!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Right- I don't think many CMs actually made the cue butt themselves for their SPs. If the old time makers turned out a few SPs- I know that they were from Brunswick or some other pool room house cues- I once had a Paradise SP from an ebony house cue- sorry that I sold it. I think that Schmelke, Valley, Dufferin, etc. supplied many of the post 1980 independent SP makers who worked in smaller shops.

What actually makes an SP play well: I would consider a quality wood spliced butt into quality maple forearm, proper joint alignment and fit, a quality wood shaft with the desired taper and shaft diameter, and a ferrule/tip configuration that compliments the cue in terms of the players desired hit characteristics. The SP should be weighted and balanced to the desired players specs as well. This is why I was awed by the Schmelke SP offer on Billiard Warehouse with every conceivable customizable option available for under $200 total!

You were talking 1995 at $175 and not nearly as customized as the Schmelke options today- 27 years later and even less money - shipped!!

I love this topic :)

There are/were cue-makers who spliced their own (Hills, Gracio, Mark Bear, MT III, Omori, Travis/BlackCreek, Prather, Davis, to name a few .. there are more). Some that I've contacted made one for me on their terms (had to wait until they spliced up a batch of blanks in one case, and had to pick one from anothers current inventory of FS blanks in another). These cues are (were?) a lower price-point than fancier cues, but take significant work to make, so the profit would be less attractive ... hence the reluctance of some to build them ... but I do love them.

Cues2.jpg

Ya, I know, the BHQ and Lambros on the right are not sneakys, and all but two have joint collars/rings, but to some they qualify.

Dave