So ESPN can't find time for pool?

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I speed read so much of AzBilliards I don’t remember where or who said what, but they were right.

Pool needs characters. Larger than life personalities. Watching interesting players trade quips and put-downs and general bullshitting would get viewers, not constantly pocketing balls without a miss.

Growing up in different times, with tables hollering “rack”, with having to have at least some status for a prime railbird seat, with a game being talked-up for an hour for any in the area to hear, I was lucky enough to experience the personality of pool.

A kid (maybe young guy) sitting talking with the old timers during the day on the weekend. Hearing all the old stories and “secrets” about the poolroom “fixtures”. While the love of the game was there from the first moment I hit a ball, becoming an accepted member of the pool hall and spending the time to feel like you just might ‘belong” there, well, there’s nothing better than that.

Capture that somehow and put that on TV….

middleofnowhere

Registered
And how do they pay for all that, through advertisers!!
They also like crap they can own cheap. They can use it as filler any time. They regard pool as an exibition sport. There are no real champions, it is not timely and they can show a match years after it was played.

Can't do that with organized sports. No one is watching even last year's Superbowl. They show things like rodeos and demolishin derby.

No one cares when it took place or even who won. It is just fun to watch. I think pools biggest problem is, there is nothing to really film. Pool is completely unorganized. I think if you contacted them about covering a tournament their attatude would be, "Who cares", and they would be right.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
If they can't find advertisers willing to pay for advertising during the broadcast, upfront, then they're not interested in wasting valuable air time, so no pool on ESPN!
Exactly right. On Rouk live tv (free channels with commercials) Channel 228 FTF sports they play billiards all the time, for around 6 hours a night. It's rare to see an actual commercial instead of a generic placeholder where they would put a commercial if there was one. For 1:30 about every 20 minutes there will be a break, just showing some graphics with the channel's name and some of the most annoying music you've ever heard. You might see 10 actual commercials on there a week. Other things, even poker, advertisements fill every break.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Exactly right. On Rouk live tv (free channels with commercials) Channel 228 FTF sports they play billiards all the time, for around 6 hours a night. It's rare to see an actual commercial instead of a generic placeholder where they would put a commercial if there was one. For 1:30 about every 20 minutes there will be a break, just showing some graphics with the channel's name and some of the most annoying music you've ever heard. You might see 10 actual commercials on there a week. Other things, even poker, advertisements fill every break.
Never heard of that channel going to check it out now. There is so much to watch it is impossible know what is on. As far as pool, if you want an advertiser you have to show them why they should be advertising.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Was never going to be a conversation without organization first.
Breakdancing will be in the 2024 Olympics. Even they are more organized the pool. Pool doesn't need the Olympics. They just need to organize and hold their own Olympics of pool. Pool has multiple disciplines. Promoted right it could attract world wide attention.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was never going to be a conversation without organization first.
I was just being silly about how much during the Tokyo 2020 Olympics we had to suffer “Why isn’t pool in the Olympics” topics. Must have run it’s course. But to be fair, AZB didn’t have as many of those threads as Pool Is Not Dead on FB did.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Today on espn I saw rototilling championship.
That is all.
Rototilling might be a good activity to cross train for pool. It helps strengthen your core and tilling straight lines takes focus. Very good training activity if you approach it correctly. Some folks might pay you money or in produce to rototill for them if they are unable to. It might be a good opportunity with food prices these days.

Feeling the gyroscopic forces of the tines may also translate into understanding the forces acting upon the cue ball.

;)

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The formula is different today but back 35 and more years ago Wide World of Sports (the ABC version launched in 1961) was what you watched because it was sports and you only had two other choices. They aired big time sports to pull you in and attract advertisers but filled the rest of the time with whatever they didn't have to pay much (or not at all) for whenever they could get away with it...lumberjack competition, badminton, cliff diving, track and field, demolition derby...and yes, pool. Even then, pool was just filler.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: