So, Tell Me, Why Did Meucci Do This?

I can only tell you why Bob said he does it.

They used real linen when they started the process ,thats easily proven and so clearly not a cost saving feature.

And finishing over the wrap is significantly more work than not, thats pretty obvious as well to anyone who has ever done it.

But believe what ever you need to if it helps you. ;)


The cue looked like it was just dipped, not really finished per say, and the wrap material is cheap nylon.
The finish peels off, so I don't think it is much of a process.
Personally I was happy that it came off so easily.
 
The cue looked like it was just dipped, not really finished per say, and the wrap material is cheap nylon.
The finish peels off, so I don't think it is much of a process.
Personally I was happy that it came off so easily.

I guess that one cue has all the answers you'll ever need.....except that it was somehow still cheaper than not finishing over it.

Again....

And I know its so hard to stay on focus with such deep seeded bias....

(Curious why you would even touch such an obvious piece a trash, you obviously invested more than the value of the cue. Interesting business model)

Anyway.....

The question was about why they started doing a process. If you don't like the real answer.....maybe Bob wrote the answer to that inside that one cue of yours too?

:)

PS, you don't really believe the cue was dipped do you? You must understand poly finishes I would think....
 
I guess that one cue has all the answers you'll ever need.....except that it was somehow still cheaper than not finishing over it.

Again....

And I know its so hard to stay on focus with such deep seeded bias....

(Curious why you would even touch such an obvious piece a trash, you obviously invested more than the value of the cue. Interesting business model)

Anyway.....

The question was about why they started doing a process. If you don't like the real answer.....maybe Bob wrote the answer to that inside that one cue of yours too?

:)

PS, you don't really believe the cue was dipped do you? You must understand poly finishes I would think....


First of all, these cues are going to look really nice when we are done with them.
They are both traditional looking cues, and I've had the Meucci Original for quite a while.
I bought the HP model from a down & out guy in the pool hall (great player) because he needed the money, not because I wanted the cue.
The cue was straight, the money went to a good cause, and it actually plays pretty good.
Since we are experimenting with finishes, I thought they would both be good cues to use as guinea pigs.

I was initially surprised at how badly the cues were finished, even the original.
Like a lot of newer Meucci's everything on the HP had popped, the finished was bubbled, but when we removed the "wrap", it was like peeling an orange, and the so-called linen was the cheapest nylon wrap you can get.
Although you could feel the nylon through they plastic-like coating, the finish was not adhered to the nylon at all, it was like a plastic shell.
The good news is that the finish, the stain, and the wrap come off very easily, so the refinish work isn't that hard to do.

Just for the heck of it, I was told that this cue has about 50 coats of lacquer over the wrap...:smile:



ColoradoCues002.jpg
 
This is what a new one looks like.
When I got the cue it wasn't very old, and it didn't look anything like this picture.
The cue will look pretty nice with a good finish and a normal linen wrap.



meucci-pool-cue-hp-1-large.jpg
 
There is a question I have about Meucci that I never knew the answer to and so, what better place to see about getting the answer than right here on AZ? :thumbup:

Why did they spray over the linen wraps, leaving their cues feeling wrapless?

Never understood the motivation or rationale for this and so does anyone know the reason why? :confused:

TIA

best,
brian kc


:smile:

The last two paragraphs will explain it.


http://www.meuccicues.com/faq.html
 
RRfireblade...Maybe, but it costs more NOT to have the coating over the wrap. IMO, they did it to go on the cheap. Less work to just spray over the wrap. I still have my first cue, which was an early Meucci (no logo), that had Cortland linen for the wrap. I played with that cue for many years and never once had blue chalk residue show up on the wrap. Chalk on my bridge hand was another story! LOL

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I believe all thier cues are always available with an uncoated wrap at request.
 
:smile:

The last two paragraphs will explain it.


http://www.meuccicues.com/faq.html

Thanks to rrfireblad, and you sir, for providing the info that gives Bob Meucci's explanation for spraying over his wraps. :thumbup:

below are the two pparagraphs poolguy refernced.

curios are the first two sentences where they say what's underneath is "authentic Irish linen - NO EXCEPTIONS!"

Is this accurate?

well, anyway, here it is:

What type of wrap is on a Meucci cue?
Always authentic Irish Linen - NO EXCEPTIONS! We then usually coat the wrap with a polyeurathane high-gloss finish for two reasons: 1. So that the total butt has the same unbroken feel and texture when moving your grip hand to different positions. 2. More importantly, we coat the wrap because we think the design and asthetics of a cue are important to you. We are sure that you don't want all cues to have a blue chalk stained wrap after a very short time. Meucci is the only cue maker, to our knowledge, that offers a solid black and a natural, solid cream colored wrap.

Particularly when you consider that we are the only cue maker that offers basic solid black and natural wraps which look much better with most butt designs that the speckled wraps (black / white spec, green / white spec, etc..) We decided to make this change more than 25 years ago because once cue makers started pressing wraps to get them smooth and flat, the Irish Linen wrap was no more functional as a sweat absorbing wrap, but was merely a traditional part of the design of the butt. Therefore, let's keep it clean and attractive. Just picture one of our cream wraps mixed with blue chalk - "ain't it purrrty!" Of course, because we are a custom cue maker, we do offer the standard pressed wrap with no finish as an option.


best,
brian kc
 
I happen to like the idea, for the reasons stated on the Meucci website. I like the feel of the wrapless cues; pressed linen wraps always felt too slick to me. When I had my custom Navy cue made, I was glad to have owned a few Meucci's and unabashedly stole the coated wrap idea so I could use a non-standard material (wool Dress Blue uniform) on the cue and not worry about how it would hold up or feel.

So, based only on the merit of the idea (for those who like the look of a wrap, but the feel of a wrapless cue) and not based on the execution of the idea (I'm the first to admit some disappointment with several Meucci cues I owned, or sent them for work) I have to admit I find it to be innovative and ingenious.
 
I have seven meucci's, and have bought over 20 in the last four years and have never had the finish to peel on any of them. I have also never had a ferrel to come off. I did use to crack the ferrels back when we used the same cue to break with. All the meucci's I've had all had straight butts and the only warped shafts I've had in 4 years was black dot, which I've never seen a straight black dot shaft. Meucci's are the best hitting cue I've ever used.
 
Back
Top