Something is wrong with Team USA

litoxoro

Registered
one of the very good Things in School is to select Young Talents in early age and to promote this is not the same in europe :-(

They immigrate so many because they habe no Chance in other countries

ANd who wont to live in a Country where psychomatics can buy guns?

strange very sick

we all wonder why the NRA was not forbitten

ps: and yes you have one of the best Basketballer

Greek the Freak :)

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one of the very good Things in School is to select Young Talents in early age and to promote this is not the same in europe :-(

They immigrate so many because they habe no Chance in other countries

ANd who wont to live in a Country where psychomatics can buy guns?

strange very sick

we all wonder why the NRA was not forbitten
There may be a language barrier, but I think you meant who wants to live in a country where psychotics can by guns?

This can be discussed more in depth if you want to visit NPR...not really main forum stuff. :) If you are from Germany which your profile indicates, I would think with ya'lls cultural history of Gestapo round ups, Einsatzgruppen killing squads, etc. That you would have a deep understanding of the need for citizens to have the means to protect themselves.

Again, no disrespect intended, I would love to hear more of misconceptions others in Europe may have of life in the US...but the NPR section is the appropriate place to have those type conversations. Cheers!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
My apologies... I didn't realize I was being cryptic.

So the ownership/management of a pool league divided itself from the League, and then declared themselves the governing body of USA pro pool...? In comparison, the NFL isn't the only pro game in town. They are just considered the highest level because they marketed themselves in the most proficient manner. Anyone can proclaim themselves the "pro standard". However the proof is in the pudding. What does the BCA, other than have their own personal hall of fame, do exactly to promote/grow the game?
No... They were the official body for billiards in North America and they had STARTED a pool league that they then later agreed to sell to Mark Griffin who expanded it and turned it into what it is today.

It's no different than the WPA, who people like to claim has to sanction any "world" tournament, which is ridiculous. How many world boxing titles are there? How do they get determined?

Jaden

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The team was simply not good enough. Other than SVB, their top 5 are world-class, and not sure we can say the same for the US. I don't think we were ever going to win this one, but we were a little unlucky to not make it closer on the second day in my opinion. Anyway, I am far from an expert, but I don't feel like we have any investment in the development of youth\up and comers. Way too much focus on leagues, drinking beer, and collecting those nightly fees. You are lucky if you find anyone to mentor you and truly try to teach you the game. Strict practice, not just banging balls around is not seen enough imo. I also think the lack of full-size tables and the movement to the small diamonds does us no favors. Finally, there is just not much money in it. Does not seem like a sport, but a bar room pursuit. Gambling, drinking, and scraping buy is what I see of the good players I've run into.

I love pool and wish it was not so.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The team was simply not good enough. Other than SVB, their top 5 are world-class, and not sure we can say the same for the US. I don't think we were ever going to win this one, but we were a little unlucky to not make it closer on the second day in my opinion. Anyway, I am far from an expert, but I don't feel like we have any investment in the development of youth\up and comers. Way too much focus on leagues, drinking beer, and collecting those nightly fees. You are lucky if you find anyone to mentor you and truly try to teach you the game. Strict practice, not just banging balls around is not seen enough imo. I also think the lack of full-size tables and the movement to the small diamonds does us no favors. Finally, there is just not much money in it. Does not seem like a sport, but a bar room pursuit. Gambling, drinking, and scraping buy is what I see of the good players I've run into.

I love pool and wish it was not so.
and for the record, I just wish there was another day to be watching. Right now, I've got the UK championships on in the background (snooker) I'll cancel DAZN soon, but figured it was worth checking out while I got it! :)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's had a few run in's with (mainly Ronnie) players over the years on the snooker circuit...and to be fair to him, I think he's been in the right on every occasion, however perhaps its the way he 'stamps his authority' that winds up some people. I suspect its nothing more than a language thing and even though he speaks perfect English, its technically not his first language, so perhaps it can occasionally (unintentional probably) come across as confrontational.
he is the best ref on the snooker tour imo. better than scullion or verhaas, never seen him call it wrong, strikes fear in any spectator with cell phone noise

litoxoro

Registered
There may be a language barrier, but I think you meant who wants to live in a country where psychotics can by guns?

This can be discussed more in depth if you want to visit NPR...not really main forum stuff. :) If you are from Germany which your profile indicates, I would think with ya'lls cultural history of Gestapo round ups, Einsatzgruppen killing squads, etc. That you would have a deep understanding of the need for citizens to have the means to protect themselves.

Again, no disrespect intended, I would love to hear more of misconceptions others in Europe may have of life in the US...but the NPR section is the appropriate place to have those type conversations. Cheers!
iam not German

Iam Greek the Land with a big Culture and History

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apologies. Your profile says from Germany.

I myself am often compared to Greek god...
Though I am not sure which one...

just kidding.

Have a safe and happy holiday season

litoxoro

Registered
np i live there and was Born there

like the Greek americans in your Country :)

but the difference to many Greeks in the US is i have only a Greek Passport

To win this event you have to be damn-near flawless.

On day-1 both teams played bad, although I was impressed by how solid Chris was until he miss-judged that 7 ball and tried to get perfect on the 8.... More experience will end him doing that and he's going to be a real world-beating monster.

On day two Europe started getting their shit together and got closer to perfect. I think it took th wind out of the US sails and made them feel defeated going into day 3.

There's not a player there who's not an exceptionally great player. We just weren't perfect.

litoxoro

Registered
But now back to billiard

you have to Change a lot of in the USA look what is in Germany the leagues the System etc you Need Trainers with Knowledge and Training Training Patterns and so on.

I think in what US Players whould be better then europe Players are if they Play for Money that is for many very good Players a Problem if you have to spent your own Money many Pros could not Play good if Money is in the game .-)

litoxoro

Registered
They could Play 1 Week and Europe would win with no Problem.

The Problem is your System they are a few very good skilled Players but without Training Training they would be only a few like Shane ….

And Play on tough tables like in the Mosconi Cup Europe Players also had many Problems on that table but they are trained on them and switched quick.

And the Breaks were perfect no easy outs and i hope they will someone forbit the jumps only allowed with your own playing cue.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw's vitriol was real. He wanted to beat the crap out of these guys. Then you see Sky playing Filler where he seems so "he could care less" and he is screwing up what should be simple outs, just not as motivated.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can write a book trying to describe what needs to be done ...how should be organized and so on. You had Johan who I believe tried his best to explain what needs to be done...there was very informative interview with him on the radio after his first year with your team.
So there are no secrets about it and no need to invent the wheel ... $$$ is definitely not a problem you have enough in the billiard industry but ... attitude that is the key. Being a coach myself I know this very good ... no matter how talented you are without it you'll never going to reach the top because the job that needs to be done is never gonna be done...especially in the game which is so much mental.
So till it is not treated seriously as a sport with some structure and body responsible you gonna keep just having fun with your "hottiest" women after some best whisky...if losing that is what makes you having some fun.
I guess would billiards broke through into Olympics one day the right decisions would be made pretty quickly.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And by the way, Billy played great. He really stepped it up in the end. Chris also showed when the heat was on he could keep it together.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
And I never, ever thought I'd be writing these thoughts I am about to express now, but the pool world has changed since the '80s and '90s. Gone are the golden years of the road warriors and action players. Pool must emulate snooker. You'd never see Ronnie O'Sullivan or Judd Trump sitting on the sidelines looking at their iPhones and texting while a match is in progress on television, as an example. It's a completely different environment. There must be a way to combine that environment with emotion-filled matches without them looking like a bar tournament event. Don't get me wrong, I love bar tournaments, but professional pool needs a new look. I'm not talking about putting whipped cream on a hot dog; I'm talking about a more respectable image to attract not only mainstream audiences, but young people who would aspire to be a professional pool player and not have their Uncle Chester and Aunt Dorothy look down on this profession. Can pool be a sport? If it is to be a sport, some things must change.
The good news, JAM, is that Emily Frazer feels just as you do on the need to tidy up the habits, demeanor and image of these players. That, and other reasons, are why it's encouraging that Matchroom, more than any event producer in our sport, holds the reins in the pursuit of a better future for pool.

Unfortunately, the repositioning of pool that both you and Emily see as necessary won't happen overnight but in Matchroom, we have an organization that has accomplished this kind of transformation before, for there was once an image problem in snooker, too.

Reactions: JAM

The8BallPoolPod

Registered
I for one really hope for a US pool resurgence. I for one would never have played 9 Ball in my life it wasn't for the Mosconi Cup.

In fact, neither would a lot of the UK players who have competed in the event, before the Mosconi you never saw a full sized American table in the UK.

It has been sad reading some of these posts, in particular the neglect of the grass roots game in the US. Believe me, in Snooker in the UK this is happening too. Having said that, I've seen on social media, some younger US players who look pretty decent.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The good news, JAM, is that Emily Frazer feels just as you do on the need to tidy up the habits, demeanor and image of these players. That, and other reasons, are why it's encouraging that Matchroom, more than any event producer in our sport, holds the reins in the pursuit of a better future for pool.

Unfortunately, the repositioning of pool that both you and Emily see as necessary won't happen overnight but in Matchroom, we have an organization that has accomplished this kind of transformation before, for there was once an image problem in snooker, too.
Getting KIDS to play pool is THE number one priority. Average age on here is what, 45??? If we can't get 10-16yr olds to play then all the other stuff means NADA.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting KIDS to play pool is THE number one priority. Average age on here is what, 45??? If we can't get 10-16yr olds to play then all the other stuff means NADA.
I agree, but how? There is no place for them anymore. The bowling alleys removed their tables. The small town cafes removed their tables. Pool halls that aren't just bars with tables, are few and far between. There really doesn't seem to be much opportunity for a kid to get introduced to the game.