South West Cues-Why $$$ ????

saint1

saint1
Silver Member
I started this discussion, I appreciate every ones thought and opnions.
I understand a price is driven by a buyer willing to pay it.
But their is nothing magical or special about a SW cue. I just don't get it, name a world champion that used a SW cue. If you know of one let me know.
You are 100% correct every year South West cues start with the pin number 300-301. It's been this way like for ever.
Their production was much higher 10 years ago. Now it is around 100+,(possible less) cues a year. Check around try to find a 2011 SW pin with a number in the high 400's.
Thanks guys.:smile:

Don't keep track of the world champions cues ( would play with their sponsor's cues anyhow) but Wayne Huang and his teammate who took 1st and 2nd at the BCA nationals this past May both played with S.W.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Marketing and advertising are not the same thing and certainly don't have to go hand in hand.

Marketing without advertising happens all day every day.

How is it marketing when all they do is answer the phone? No facebook, no tag lines, no catalog, no sponsorships, hell I dont even know how someone would get the phone number if it wasnt from someone who had it.

Its nuts when you look at it. A ten year backlog of business with $0 spent on ads or marketing.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
How is it marketing when all they do is answer the phone? No facebook, no tag lines, no catalog, no sponsorships, hell I dont even know how someone would get the phone number if it wasnt from someone who had it.

Its nuts when you look at it. A ten year backlog of business with $0 spent on ads or marketing.

Nuts has nothing to do with it. Quality is no accident. BTW good call on the poster that identified the Asian players that play with South Wests. I believe if they keep winning with those cues it will drive the Asian SW market further into chaos.

Cuemakers that make quality cues have a waiting list, that's all there is to it. BTW there are also repairs to factor in, in SW's case, they do a lot of shaft replacement and restoration on their older cues. That is all a factor of the 10 year wait.

JV

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Nuts has nothing to do with it. Quality is no accident. BTW good call on the poster that identified the Asian players that play with South Wests. I believe if they keep winning with those cues it will drive the Asian SW market further into chaos.

Cuemakers that make quality cues have a waiting list, that's all there is to it. BTW there are also repairs to factor in, in SW's case, they do a lot of shaft replacement and restoration on their older cues. That is all a factor of the 10 year wait.

JV

Oh I get why it is the way it is. In the gun world its the same way with super high end 1911's and more and more tactical gear made by small one or two man shops. The problem is that when a shop gets that big a backlog they dont know how to handle it and it usually ends badly.

Its a testament to Laurie's ability to run the business and the guys craftsmanship that they have been in such high demand for so long and been able to negotiate that minefield.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member

I wasn't speaking in regards to Southwest Cues per se, I'm not familiar with them as a company at all. I was referring to marketing and advertising in general.

Word of mouth marketing can sometimes be the best strategy of all... especially when you have forums like this one that can create buzz and influence demand like no other. They've created a quality product at a reasonable price for years, their materials are easily exported, and it's a quality American made product... Kind of reminds me of Levi Jeans... nothing special but people love them and they cost 100 bucks overseas.

Oh I get why it is the way it is. In the gun world its the same way with super high end 1911's and more and more tactical gear made by small one or two man shops. The problem is that when a shop gets that big a backlog they dont know how to handle it and it usually ends badly.

Its a testament to Laurie's ability to run the business and the guys craftsmanship that they have been in such high demand for so long and been able to negotiate that minefield.

On a happier note I will bet all my Southwests on Corey if John Schmidt is playing left handed the whole time:grin::eek:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JV

I have heard also Asian players love them ,,someone told me they like the way the butts tapperd are they tapperd differant than most cues made today?

southwestkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I waited

Well I ordered one in 2001, 11 years!!....and guess what, It's being built as we speak, and I should have it in a few months. I've bought and sold 20 cues since I ordered it, and I love SW's. They are great players, and I haven't seen many warped. And as for 300 cues a year...I dont think so. I'm thinking more like 100 if that..anyways...cues are worth what people will pay for them, and if use have noticed, when a SW goes up for sale, they dont stay for sale long. cant wait to show you guys pictures once I get her.

mpex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can confirm the 10 year wait period. Ordered one in May of this year and the letter states:

'We will be in touch with you about 6 months ahead of time to confirm woods, designs and prices. We are running about 10 years on our delivery time right now.'

I will be ordering one every year if I can.

dom_poppa

Banned

"10 years to make one"
"10 years backlog"
"10 year waiting list"

That's the marketing right there when they tell their clients that. Knowingly that the word would spread. That is advertising and marketing.

Why do you think Southwest is synonymous with the number 10.

Also, the dealers help drive prices up. It wouldn't surprise me if Southwest did sell to dealers first to drive up the price of their cues. So when you finally get your call and your quote for a cue, it would be high and you have no choice to buy it because of said "10 years"

dom_poppa

Banned
Let's also not forget that no pool cue is made the same. They are all different, so who's to say there's some duds or bad SW cues floating around.

I would not take that chance but I definitely will flip them.....

"There's one SW owner born every minute....."

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can confirm the 10 year wait period. Ordered one in May of this year and the letter states:

'We will be in touch with you about 6 months ahead of time to confirm woods, designs and prices. We are running about 10 years on our delivery time right now.'

I will be ordering one every year if I can.

With all the SW hate mpex what made you order one? Obvious the wait/backlog didnt deter you. Just curious.

GoBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If half dropped off of a 10 year waiting list, in about six years there would be no waiting list and a couple years after that, they wouldn't sell 300 cues a year and within a decade the value of all their cues would plummet. That 10yr waiting list took 25 years to build.

So, if Laurie plans on retiring and wants to Dale Perry it on out, she should take your advice.

dld

LOL@this comment!!!! Dale Perry is to South West as Schwinn is to Rolls Royce. They will get you there but you are gona hafta peddle.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a combination of a very good cue and one of the best marketing models in the history of the industry. The long wait list (10 years) puts the secondary resale market into high orbit...the primary retail market gets dragged up with it. So long as people are willing to pay $4K plus for a new SouthWest that they didn't actually order from scratch or wait more than 10 years for one made to their order, then that's what they're worth.

With this reasoning I shall announce the following...

I have not started a cue making business, but plan to within the next 5 years. Five years after that, I plan on making decent playing cues. Another 5 years and I plan to have a wait list of about a year or so. Add all that up and I currently have a wait list of 16 years. Anyone that is interested can send me $4k now to get on the wait list, just PM me and I'll send you my paypal info. :)

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
"10 years to make one"
"10 years backlog"
"10 year waiting list"

That's the marketing right there when they tell their clients that. Knowingly that the word would spread. That is advertising and marketing.

Why do you think Southwest is synonymous with the number 10.

Also, the dealers help drive prices up. It wouldn't surprise me if Southwest did sell to dealers first to drive up the price of their cues. So when you finally get your call and your quote for a cue, it would be high and you have no choice to buy it because of said "10 years"
You dont have any idea what the hell you are talking about yet you continue to spew. Go away now.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
South West makes a great playing cue that holds up to abuse. And even the fancy ones play great with no problems.

I play with an ivory pointed cue with ivory ferrules. I break, play and jump with it.

It flies over 100,000 miles a year with me and it has been in cargo holds and every type of climate without warping. I've had other custom cues that just don't hold up to this treatment.

I've turned down $15K for it but won't sell it.

This is me with my cue in Bangkok. We had a 3 city challenge match between Bangkok, Shanghai and Jakarta. We won.

Attachments

• MySW.jpg
    MySW.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 251