south west with a maple forearm and butt is a bad choice?

Thxms

order a sw just like title said.The guys I played with said it is rubbish.I was looking forward to it,But now I wonder if I should choose ebony or cocobolo

i play chinese 8 ball,which is better choice,pls give me some advice

Attachments

• 4010d686b330655424370d95dc03ebf.png
    4010d686b330655424370d95dc03ebf.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get what you like… Who waited 15 years, you or your friends?

If you’re buying purely for resale, ebony might be easier to sell. It also costs more.

You have to consider how certain woods will impact weight.

Laurie told me that all ebony cues are made with their slim-taper, which, supposedly, can’t be felt in the hand.

I‘m not even sure if cocobolo was available when I ordered mine last year. If it was, it may have had the highest upcharge and possibly even shipping restrictions, but don’t quote me on that.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
order a sw just like title said.The guys I played with said it is rubbish.I was looking forward to it,But now I wonder if I should choose ebony or cocobolo

i play chinese 8 ball,which is better choice,pls give me some advice
The vast majority of how a cue plays is in the shaft. A Southwest shaft may or may not suit your current game, but you can always get an add-on shaft that works for you. In general, and in my opinion, a Southwest is best left in storage since it is so collectible. The main advantage of a Southwest butt is that it impresses those who know what it is. Order what looks good to you. A fancier one will probably appreciate more but the cue market is fickle.

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maple forearm and butt?? Make sure it’s birdseye.
Ebony points. NO veneers
Southwest offers 2 tapers. Ask which one suits your game. - Good luck.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t know much about Southwest Cues, but I believe at one time someone posted the wood combo that Jerry liked the best. I’d go with that if available. I think it was Pau Ferro and possibly rosewood, which is probably not available. Otherwise I’d like a Birdseye plain jane with rings at all points.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know much about Southwest Cues, but I believe at one time someone posted the wood combo that Jerry liked the best. I’d go with that if available. I think it was Pau Ferro and possibly rosewood, which is probably not available. Otherwise I’d like a Birdseye plain jane with rings at all points.
Did he like the look or the making of one?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did he like the look or the making of one?
Pretty sure the posting said He thought it was the best combo for a playing cue, in regards to harmonics or tonality. Again, I know nothing about Southwest, just recalling a prior post. I’m sure someone could find it here on AZ.

Thxms

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I've only been playing billiards for half a year. Like a level 1 player picking a Level 100 weapon. The main reason for buying this cue is that it looks good, and the brand convinced me that the workmanship and materials would be good. I'll get my cue tomorrow. I'm really, really looking forward to it:D

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I've only been playing billiards for half a year. Like a level 1 player picking a Level 100 weapon. The main reason for buying this cue is that it looks good, and the brand convinced me that the workmanship and materials would be good. I'll get my cue tomorrow. I'm really, really looking forward to it:D
You sprung for a Southwest for a first cue? Lawyer or Politician?