Southwest Cue Wait

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Southwest was made famous by Jery Franklin who died, his widow runs office today. Like Santa helpers who are Unknown Cuemaker build, and demand is more then supply.

Kind of like crazy business model.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just received my SW cue in January. Wait was 15 years and 9 months 'ish. Worth the wait!

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly forget I put my name on the list in 2017 until threads like this one pop up. This is probably the most fair system in this industry. You email and ask to be added To the waiting list, Laurie confirms you’re on there and that’s that. No 20 percent down. None of that until it’s your turn. When it is, they call and ask if you’re still interested. If you are not intereste/not answering your phone/dead they move on to the next person.
This is the way.

Getting on the list costs nothing, just a few minutes of a phone call. Laurie is incredibly nice and friendly. A real pro.

Think of it this way: how many of us have been playing the game for at least 15 years? How many of us intend to be involved with pool until our dying day?

If you’re on the fence, get on the list and forget about it. One day you’ll get a phone call and shortly thereafter will get to receive a sweet SW cue.

Or do me a favor - eschew the list and make the wait for mine shorter!

2014 here and in no hurry.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Problem with SW list, some people sell their spot.
If I were Laurie, I'd stop taking requests and just sell finished cues .
She could open an FB group and sell out anyway.

And we have people wondering why SW cues cost so much .
Yet, the price keeps going up year after year .

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The other problem is since everyone can get on the list without a deposit, lots of folks have the mindset well it doesnt cost anything I will put my name on the list.

Ken

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I am sure Laurie is doing fine with her business model. She take name, and if person who waited 10 plus days NO. On to next name.

kind of like VW Bugs in 1950’s more demand, then supply. Or the first 240Z Datsun. MSRP + 1500-2000 bucks because people had to have.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No way I could wait that long for anything. There are plenty on the secondary market and most southwests look the same to me LOL I’m no longer into the collector cues and a better player for it. To each his own though

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No way I could wait that long for anything. There are plenty on the secondary market and most southwests look the same to me LOL I’m no longer into the collector cues and a better player for it. To each his own though
I buy used every time if possible. I like to hit it first. NO way i'd wait over maybe a year or two for a cue. So many nice cues on used market.

71dewajack

Take a look at the following picture. This is Yuri. The picture of Yuri on the left was taken the day he got his name on the SW waiting list. The picture of Yuri on the right was taken the day he got his cue.

1623174146050.png

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

15 year wait list and values keep going up, but you have a better sales plan. Gotta love AZ

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am on the list. Figure it will make a nice gift for my Grandson to keep the family tradition going.

merylane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the past, I commissioned a couple cues a year, for years. All was well and good until I paid a 25% deposit on a cue with John Showman and he quoted a 5 year wait. After 6 years no cue, I called him and now he wanted double the price of what he quoted (and took my deposit for). I learned that I was not alone, and he played this game with lots of buyers and most just ponied up the 2 or 3 times the quoted price to get their cues. After getting an attorney to send a letter, I finally got my deposit back. The nut huggers here and other places still defend John despite not knowing the details.

That pretty well killed the golden goose and I have only bought cues on the secondary market or from Rick Howard, who I consider a friend.

My other issue with these cue makers and their lists. I think it is a guide, and they will break in to build cues for folks irregardless of the list. I know this to be a fact with most cue builders and you just have to learn to live with it. It really isnt fair, but I have friends that have connections with some of the top cue makers (not Southwest) that "aren't taking orders" and have had cues done very quickly.

Best of rolls,

Ken

That's a fucking lie.

As I said before post up your proof.

It's funny you started bitching about me one year before your cue was due and here you are posting your not bitching about South West being late.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I had one I never hit a ball with it. It was a Jerry Franklin era cue. Took maybe 3 years for it to be delivered. I was out there and I stopped by to get a repair on a cue and next thing I know I ordered one. $265.00 with two shafts. When a few guys knew it was on the way I started getting offers sight unseen. Guy gave me $1000.00 for it.

merylane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I honestly hate hearing of your Showman misadventure, that was simply not cool. IMHO when the price jump over the original quote, and you decided not to move forward at the higher price. That person should have shot you a check, and you should not have had to get an attorney involved.

JUST NOT COOL. IMHO
As mentioned that's bullshit.... You jump on the bandwagon without any proof

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well Laurie doesn’t even quote a price until your number come up. I have zero idea of what a Southwest cost today.

Should find out sometime early “22” when my number comes up.