Southwest Cue Wait

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I will explain how the selling works, you can not sell your spot.

Sounds like "technically" you can't sell your order but there's nothing stopping someone from going to their buddy and saying "Hey, my spot's coming up for a SW cue but I can't afford it, how about you pay me $500 and I'll order the cue to your specs".

EDIT: clearly the buddy is also going to pay for the cue but now he's not going to pay the full premium of a new on the market SW cue and for the record, the $500 was just a random number, I have zero idea what new SW cues go for.

Where there's a will, there's a way ;)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I'd buy a Chinawest if I knew who made 'em. Nobody sells the Kaiser versions anymore.
Personally, I think Zeus makes a higher quality copy. Try Chady Liu, he's the importer. With a SW shaft, its the closest to the real thing at a fraction of the price.

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
Congrats to those who got their cue after such a long wait. That's not for me. I'd rather have something like a Schon or Mezz by the end of the week and then focus on my game.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since Jerry Franklin passed away, how many shop workers did he have and how many now building cues?
Is there a big turnover of the builders or are they long time, similar to McDermott and Pechauer?
I ask because a know-it-all at a home I sometimes play in gets all riled up when I purposely mention it! lol

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Pictures would = thousand words.
I have the wrap-less 6 pointer purpleheart. 2nd from the left or right, depending on your point of view. First 3 are stock pictures from Zeus. Last four are mine. Adjusted the balance so it's practically the same as my playing cue. Last picture with a Franklin era shaft.

Attachments

• 1422602_918731841504339_8863957930428620199_n.jpg
    1422602_918731841504339_8863957930428620199_n.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 11054361_918732111504312_7237481827376569190_n.jpg
    11054361_918732111504312_7237481827376569190_n.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 11047915_918731871504336_2597748830828954381_n.jpg
    11047915_918731871504336_2597748830828954381_n.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 20210214_152327.jpg
    20210214_152327.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 20210118_184208.jpg
    20210118_184208.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210121_205759.jpg
    20210121_205759.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 20210520_224630.jpg
    20210520_224630.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have the wrap-less 6 pointer purpleheart. 2nd from the left or right, depending on your point of view. First 3 are stock pictures from Zeus. Last three are mine. Adjusted the balance so it's practically the same as my playing cue. Last picture in the case, with a Franklin era shaft.
Very cool so does this builder have website?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they are so great why can't they make a straight cue. When I see some for sale most say it has the Southwest roll or
lift at the joint. 15-20 years for that, Not a chance in hell!
In the 90s a friend of mine left his South in the car. Those framed reverse points did their thing and torqued the butt into a visible curve. End of cue.

Personally, I think Zeus makes a higher quality copy. Try Chady Liu, he's the importer. With a SW shaft, its the closest to the real thing at a fraction of the price.

Very nice collection. I think what I actually want is a mono color Schmelke.;)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If they are so great why can't they make a straight cue. When I see some for sale most say it has the Southwest roll or
lift at the joint. 15-20 years for that, Not a chance in hell!
Because their taper is curved . They roll funny on the table .

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I used to own a SW copy. I didn't intentionally go out to look for one, I just thought it looked neat. In hindsight, I'd never buy one again. First, the taper was not a SW copy, but rather the same, lame, pro taper that people seem to favour in the US. That also raises the problem of buying one used off the internet, even off a reputable dealer. You can bet the idiot who owned it first has retapered it and ruined the SW characteristics of it, making it, essentially, like any other, regular cue with a nice look and possibly better materials at a phenomenal markup. Some places in Asia they also ruin the shaft with rough scourpads or sandpaper, "peeling" they call it.

The shaftwood of my knockoff was inferior and the cue didn't play well even at its price-point. A humble McDermott would play circles around it. That, incidentally, is what I'd suggest you get instead of a cheap knockoff. They've got big pins, wood to wood joints and many have really nice quality shaftwood. They don't have the SW taper, but neither do most knockoffs...There are thousands upon thousands (maybe millions) of McDermott cues in circulation. You can try maybe 20 different ones, and find the perfect one for you. Sometimes, out of random chance, a cheap McDermott gets everything right and plays like a million dollars, and the regular ones play very well to start with. Bad ones are few and far between.

Second, while the SW look is ok, it's no longer something I'd want a copy of, because it's a unique look. It's like having one of those "kit-car" Ferraris. It looks quite like the real thing until you get in close. Then you see the cheap fibreglass, rubbish dashboard details etc. That is all assuming you're hard of hearing and can't hear whatever clunker of an engine they've stuck in there. Naturally the performance is just horseshit (rather than the actual horse). It's usually some kind of VW chassis with a low end Ford engine or something lame like that. I don't care much for brand prestige. If you have a Ford or a VW that has good performance, I'd think it is pretty great. What is not great is looking like someone who WOULD LIKE a Ferrari, would like people to BELIEVE he does have one, but doesn't ACTUALLY OWN one. Which IMO is not a good look.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
You forgot to mention all the fake Rolex watches out there...;) Yes..you made a good point. BTW, I drive a 2009 Bullitt edition Mustang and Keith Josey made my playing cue. Both are what they are and serve me pretty well.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Where to get these Zeus copies? They look nice. What prices do they go for?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
God bless you guys that can wait 15-20 years for a new cue. When I decided I wanted a new cue, I wanted it sooner rather than later. I had my heart set on a double full splice Rauenzahn and discussed the build with Jerry including woods, ringwork, balance point, weight, shaft taper, etc. It turned out, he had a blank already made with the woods I wanted and the veneer/butterfly colors I wanted too. The planets had aligned. He quoted me two months to finish it to my specs along with 3 shafts and an 8" extension. I figured 2 months in cue builder time would be 6-8 months. I received the cue two months to the day I sent the deposit. Jerry said had the blank not been made, it probably would have taken 6 months. Jerry was great to deal with, sending me progress pics and confirming specs along the way. The cue was built to my exact specs and hit great; one of the best hitting cues I've played with.

Last edited:

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to those who got their cue after such a long wait. That's not for me. I'd rather have something like a Schon or Mezz by the end of the week and then focus on my game.
I waited for the SW. I love it....but my OLD Schon is still my baby and favorite player.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I bought mine on FB. When they first came out, they were going for $350. I bought mine for $625, comparable to an Adam Balabushka. You can put up a WTB in AZ marketplace or FB marketplace.

$350.00 in what year? Did not know FakeBOOK was that old.