Spanish Open, June 2023, from Matchroom

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wu Jiaqing is very intriguing in this spot. Nobody knows what to expect, and this was the case at the 2019 US Open 9-ball, too. In that event, he made it to the finals before losing to Filler.

There's little question that an in-form Wu is the equal of FSR and Filler, but will his lack of play at the game's highest competitive level hold him back? At very least, it might. If Wu is in form, however, he seems a safe bet to reach the quarterfinals, at least.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And Tyler's showing he really can hang in there neck and neck with Pia. If he wants a wildcard pick for Mosconi Cup, he'll need to find a higher gear on these tight pockets. Those down-the-rail shots are deceptively difficult.
"Really hang in there neck and neck"
I thought for sure he'd dog it

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Tyler seems to have a huge variance in playing ability. He can look like he belongs among the elite at times and also like he's a semi-pro at best.
Watching his skill set, I feel Tyler is a better player than his Fargo of 768 would suggest. His eye test Fargo, in my opinion, is more like 785.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wu Jiaqing is very intriguing in this spot. Nobody knows what to expect, and this was the case at the 2019 US Open 9-ball, too. In that event, he made it to the finals before losing to Filler.

There's little question that an in-form Wu is the equal of FSR and Filler, but will his lack of play at the game's highest competitive level hold him back? At very least, it might. If Wu is in form, however, he seems a safe bet to reach the quarterfinals, at least.

it took the ko brothers a good couple of tournaments to get back in stride. but everybody is different, and if anything wu is what you would consider a natural talent. and unlike the ko's had been, wu has been in competition. different discipline, but it's still the same size table. balls and cue are also the same. another undefeated run to the finals wouldn't shock me

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is or was? he just hammered a top 15 player
50/1 was pre-tournament. Even if he is off for few years, you would think he would be much lower or same pre-tournament as Wojciech or Aleksa Pecelj at 30/1. More likely a case of bookie asking "Wu? Who?
it took the ko brothers a good couple of tournaments to get back in stride. but everybody is different, and if anything wu is what you would consider a natural talent. and unlike the ko's had been, wu has been in competition. different discipline, but it's still the same size table. balls and cue are also the same. another undefeated run to the finals wouldn't shock me
I consider him and Filler the 2 natural talents of this millenium. He has taken time off in past (for eg. to coach Chen Siming and Singapore team) and returned to still play at high level. But in past couple of years post covid-19, the rotation pool universe has changed with establishment of "real" world tour of Matchroom and Predator/CSI- the standard is higher , much more competitive with bigger crop of top players so I agree with you that need to spend more time on the tour to get in the groove. Notwithstanding that, I think he can get to at least last 16 or last 8 here. Win or lose, it is a bonus just to see him play in this WNT tour:LOL:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Social media folks are brutal :ROFLMAO:

f30.JPG

f31.JPG

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pre-tournament bookie odds are off.
Based on recent form, Ko Ping Chung is very underrated. He has been top few performers in Matchroom events in past few months. I think he is due another major win either here or other majors later this year
Albin and Shaw can never be underestimated, sleeping tigers who can just turn it on and make a deep run
Mario He, Max Lechner, Zielinski are dark horses have not won a major and due to win one
Wu would be top few favorites but after long break away still needs to iron tweak his game. Showed some of old Wu brilliance in his first match but still has to work on his break and these MR tables, environment :LOL:

View attachment 704673
I think the book is going by MR standings rather than Fargo standings. Not too smart imo;)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many Americans actually started? I count 5 in the image Bob posted, but I think a few were no shows.