Spanish Open, June 2023, from Matchroom

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's another open tournament announced by Matchroom. It's in Lugo which is in the northwest part of Spain. It's got Roman ruins. I was there for a 3C world championship and it was a very enjoyable trip.

---------------------------------------------------------

Matchroom Pool is delighted to announce another signature multi-table major event, the Spanish Open Pool Championship set to take place from 20-25 June 2023 in Lugo, Spain at Pazo De Feiras E Congresos De Lugo with a $200,000 prize fund and the final two days broadcast live on Sky Sports in the UK and DAZN in Spain.

The Spanish Open Pool Championship is the fifth 256-player field tournament promoted by Matchroom on the Nineball World Tour with players set to fight through a seeded double elimination stage led by the top 128 on the Nineball World Rankings before only 64 make it to the single elimination rounds.

Entries will open Monday, 3 April at 2 pm UK time with the top 64 on the current Nineball World Rankings given priority entry. The remaining spots will be up for grabs with entries costing $250.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Matchroom delivers again. They are the most innovative and prolific event producers we've ever seen in pool.

This year alone, they are adding an Asian Tour, an Oceania Tour and now a Spanish Open. There are now dozens of Matchroom ranking events worldwide and pros and aspiring pros have more options than ever before.

Nine ball is a truly global sport now, with major competitions and numerous ranking events in four continents (North America, Europe, Asia, Australia).

These are happy times for pool and, given Matchroom's continuing aggressive pursuit of its vision for our sport, even happier times than these likely lie ahead.

Thank you, Matchroom!

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first thoughts when i saw the thread was Matchroom just added another title to Francisco Sanchez Ruiz β€˜s trophy collection LOL
Jokes aside, i truly appreciate what matchroom is doing for the game to grow it
Good job matchroom πŸ‘ :)

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first thoughts when i saw the thread was Matchroom just added another title to Francisco Sanchez Ruiz β€˜s trophy collection LOL
Jokes aside, i truly appreciate what matchroom is doing for the game to grow it
Good job matchroom πŸ‘ :)
My first thoughts were "Spanish Open" sounds funny.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am elated to see the news of the Spanish Open. I've been huge fan of David and Francisco, long before they achieved their championship greatness.

On the one hand, I am looking forward to seeing the Spanish Open's venue and hope it is as great as the one in Kielce, Poland. I loved seeing, experiencing, and learning about the Polish culture and its Pool Federation. It was so cool.

On the other hand, I won't bend the knee to current powers-that-be, though I do very much admire Barry Hearn and miss him at the helm.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't find any info about it, only here on azb, but no info about venue, prize money etc.

πŸ†
β–Έ Japan Open
πŸ—“
β–Έ WOMEN: September 5-8, 2023 TBC
πŸ’°
β–Έ $50,000
πŸ“
β–Έ Shizuoka, Japan
β–Ό
πŸ†
β–Έ World Junior 9-Ball Championships
πŸ—“
β–Έ September 6-9, 2023 TBC
πŸ“
β–Έ Shizuoka, Japan
β–Ό
πŸ†
β–Έ World 8-Ball Championship
πŸ—“
β–Έ September 7-10, 2023 TBC
πŸ’°
β–Έ $200,000
πŸ“
β–Έ Shizuoka, Japan

Tadaimarlon

πŸ†
β–Έ Japan Open
πŸ—“
πŸ’°
β–Έ $50,000
πŸ“
β–Έ Shizuoka, Japan
β–Ό
πŸ†
πŸ—“
πŸ“
β–Έ Shizuoka, Japan
β–Ό
πŸ†
πŸ—“
πŸ’°
β–Έ $200,000
πŸ“
β–Έ Shizuoka, Japan
Thanks! I follow this page but this is the first time that I see this.

Tadaimarlon

πŸ†
β–Έ Japan Open
πŸ—“
πŸ’°
β–Έ $50,000
πŸ“
β–Έ Shizuoka, Japan
β–Ό
πŸ†
πŸ—“
πŸ“
β–Έ Shizuoka, Japan
β–Ό
πŸ†
πŸ—“
πŸ’°
β–Έ $200,000
πŸ“
β–Έ Shizuoka, Japan
The excitement didn't last long. It's not in Japan anymore, now the event is in Austria.. I knew this was too good to be true.
https://www.facebook.com/2740250565...8L9QjTuB7aGhvRKvZ16z7TgtDZszSPJPwLl/?sfnsn=mo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This tournament starts next Tuesday. For the US it seems to be on DAZN. I can't find an entry list yet.

If you happen to be there, tickets are only 10 euros per day.