speed of pool shots?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The break app needs sound and a hard enough first hit on the cueball to make a significant peak. And you need to hit another ball (the rack) with enough speed to create a second peak. I suppose someone could just try it and see.
I liked the radar gun back in the 90s….it caught the speed of the cue ball when it hit the 1-ball, which is the significant speed.
Bustie and Ellin were top speed at 34 MPH.
…..the break still required a great stroke…I saw a guy break 30 MPH at a trade show…but we needed a search party to find whitey.

The speed apps are total elapsed time….whitey is decelerating as it hits the 1- ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Down and back twice? Is that what you mean?
Yes, straight up and down the middle of the table -- the standard table speed test. "Over the spots" as they would call it in the UK. The cue ball travels four table lengths minus however far you start from the end rail.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, straight up and down the middle of the table -- the standard table speed test. "Over the spots" as they would call it in the UK. The cue ball travels four table lengths minus however far you start from the end rail.

I would call that a medium speed. Down and back once is about lag speed, just a touch faster. I'd say lag speed averages out to about 2 to 2.5mph.

2 table lengths averages out to about 3 to 4 mph on fast cloth. I'd call that a soft shot. It doesn't take much more effort to get another 2 lengths.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would call that a medium speed. Down and back once is about lag speed, just a touch faster. I'd say lag speed averages out to about 2 to 2.5mph.

2 table lengths averages out to about 3 to 4 mph on fast cloth. I'd call that a soft shot. It doesn't take much more effort to get another 2 lengths.
Here is my previous post translated into MPH, all speeds are the initial speed of the cue ball.

1 table length -- ball goes from head rail to foot rail -- 1.36 MPH
2 table lengths -- from head rail to foot rail and back to head rail -- 2.86 MPH
3 table lengths -- head rail to foot rail to head rail to foot rail -- 5.39 MPH
4 table lengths -- add one more length -- 9.89 MPH

So, I'd say that most practical shots pocketing a ball are in the 1 to 10 MPH range. If you include safeties where you are bumping a ball softly, the low end drops to maybe 1/4 MPH for three or four inches of roll.

An interesting point is that a ball going 10 MPH has 100 times the energy of a ball going 1 MPH.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I liked the radar gun back in the 90s….it caught the speed of the cue ball when it hit the 1-ball, which is the significant speed.
Bustie and Ellin were top speed at 34 MPH.
…..the break still required a great stroke…I saw a guy break 30 MPH at a trade show…but we needed a search party to find whitey.

The speed apps are total elapsed time….whitey is decelerating as it hits the 1- ball.

I don't think there is that much of a slow down between the speeds say a foot from the tip to when it hits. I would guess maybe 1mph. I would like to see a chart with cueball speeds at different lengths at the table. Probably there are some on Dr Daves site where the slow motion videos are.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't think there is that much of a slow down between the speeds say a foot from the tip to when it hits. I would guess maybe 1mph. I would like to see a chart with cueball speeds at different lengths at the table. Probably there are some on Dr Daves site where the slow motion videos are.
Yeah, I was being a bit nitty on radar vs app.
You know what I don’t understand?….I saw Bustie break at 34 MPH….whitey hit three rails…and stayed on the table….…
I saw FSR unleash just a few days ago…I’m guessing 28 MPH….and whitey AND the 1-ball left the table… 😳

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is my previous post translated into MPH, all speeds are the initial speed of the cue ball.

2 table lengths -- from head rail to foot rail and back to head rail -- 2.86 MPH

So, I'd say that most practical shots pocketing a ball are in the 1 to 10 MPH range. If you include safeties where you are bumping a ball softly, the low end drops to maybe 1/4 MPH for three or four inches of roll.

An interesting point is that a ball going 10 MPH has 100 times the energy of a ball going 1 MPH.

Using youtube videos was definitely not accurate. Lol. So I used my own videos and the "coach's eye" app to get exact times at various points.

I have an 8ft Diamond table, and it takes 8.2s for the cb to travel two lengths (lag shot from 1.5in off the rail and finishing 1.5in off the rail) Average speed from start to finish was 1.2mph. Initial cb speed was 3.1 mph. What I would consider my normal speed, medium speed, requires an initial speed of 5.5 mph.

Looks like a medium firm hit for me would be around 6 to 7 mph, not 10 as I had originally thought.

Interesting stuff.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw FSR unleash just a few days ago…I’m guessing 28 MPH….and whitey AND the 1-ball left the table… 😳
I'm guessing that he got a high-speed skid. The 1 ball leaving the table is really, really rare.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Are those the CB's initial speed off the cue tip and each of the rails during a 4-length shot?

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are those the CB's initial speed off the cue tip and each of the rails during a 4-length shot?

pj
chgo
Yes, those would be the speeds off each cushion, roughly, assuming a 55% effective COR for the cushion contact (final outbound speed is 55% of the inbound speed). If you start bouncing the ball off the first cushion or the cushions are not typical, then the numbers will change. From the initial hit, the speed is for a smooth-rolling ball. Effective COR is determined after smooth rolling sets in.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A ball hit in the center traveling at 10 MPH has energy x.
A ball hit at limit of miss-cue (2-tips right and ½ height) at 10MPH has energy 2x.

For your amusement.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I was being a bit nitty on radar vs app.
You know what I don’t understand?….I saw Bustie break at 34 MPH….whitey hit three rails…and stayed on the table….…

I think if the head ball is loose a bit, that can make the balls jump off the table much more often. It causes odd sorts of hops to happen, especially if the cueball is in the air more so than normal.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A ball hit in the center traveling at 10 MPH has energy x.
A ball hit at limit of miss-cue (2-tips right and ½ height) at 10MPH has energy 2x.

For your amusement.

But that side spin energy is almost useless to breaking since it will not be transferred to the object ball much at all. In fact that is pretty wasted energy since the force you use for the side spin is not going into the forward momentum which would be transferred to the object balls.