Speed Pool - How do they aim?

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. Like I said, both sides of the brain work in harmony with each other. The right side handles all of our senses, perceptions, feelings, spontaneous creativity, etc.... The left side is continually analyzing this information, making judgements and comparisons to logically formulate what we refer to as reality. Both sides are always working in conjunction, but sometimes a person shows signs of being more right or left brain oriented. We end up with an occasional Pablo Picasso or a Stephen Hawking, and sometimes we get a mixture of both, like Richard Feynman.

Yes!
My point was to clarify that during a right brain activity such as speed pool the left brain is still inherently engaged.
For example, If I were to do a 60 second 10 ball rack of speed pool....it would be a right brain activity with left brain support.......It would be so wrong to think of speed pool as a visual activity only.

Stan Shuffett

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes!
My point was to clarify that during a right brain activity such as speed pool the left brain is still inherently engaged.
For example, If I were to do a 60 second 10 ball rack of speed pool....it would be a right brain activity with left brain support.......It would be so wrong to think of speed pool as a visual activity only.

Stan Shuffett

I guess that's what sparked my curiosity with speed pool, the way it appears to be totally right-brained, but knowing for a fact that the left side of the brain is always involved through its ability to monitor, analyze, and re-evaluate the actions being performed by right-brain functions. And all of this occurs at once in rhythmic process.

Unfortunately, when it comes to learning skills the average person doesn't allow this natural rhythm to occur, or doesn't know how to allow it to occur. I know with musicians this is a big stumbling block. And I'd say learning pool players are no different. They find ourselves too often playing with an imbalanced rhythm. They either over-analyze and fail to give the right brain enough freedom to explore (to discover and develop skills), or they let the right brain run wild, unchecked, with no regard for left brain analysis and meaningful reason.

As you know, being a teacher for many years, learning requires cooperation between both sides of the brain. Creativity can't fully blossom with the absence of logic, and logic can't operate without at least having access to a little creativity.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I guess that's what sparked my curiosity with speed pool, the way it appears to be totally right-brained, but knowing for a fact that the left side of the brain is always involved through its ability to monitor, analyze, and re-evaluate the actions being performed by right-brain functions. And all of this occurs at once in rhythmic process.

Unfortunately, when it comes to learning skills the average person doesn't allow this natural rhythm to occur, or doesn't know how to allow it to occur. I know with musicians this is a big stumbling block. And I'd say learning pool players are no different. They find ourselves too often playing with an imbalanced rhythm. They either over-analyze and fail to give the right brain enough freedom to explore (to discover and develop skills), or they let the right brain run wild, unchecked, with no regard for left brain analysis and meaningful reason.

As you know, being a teacher for many years, learning requires cooperation between both sides of the brain. Creativity can't fully blossom with the absence of logic, and logic can't operate without at least having access to a little creativity.

Sure the action is right brained but the left side will be green flagged for overclocking

I’m a cuestick Aimer so I just point it at the desired target and besides initial hand placement which I see in whole view eyes always on target one stroke and turn the corner and rip my pants button to knee on the corner cap.

True story. Glad I had on some boxers lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two hemispheres of the brain do not work independently of each other as if...the right brain does this and the left brain does that. The two sides of the brain always work together. It is more correct to think of specific tasks as being right brain activites but that does not exclude the left brain as being an intregal part of a right brain oriented process and vice/versa for left brain activities involving the right brain.

It does not matter how right-brained speed pool is, the left brain is still a part of the activity. The left brain can't be rooted out.

Stan Shuffett

I'm not up on the very latest but there is plenty of research to suggest that some people are more right or left brained. Yes, the hemispheres work together, but one side may dominate or be in exclusive use for a particular task.

My personal experience has been that for the longest time I wanted, I needed to, let my left side dominate. And then, somewhere along the path, I would get down on a shot and though I wanted to label and identify what I was about to do, the other side of me just wanted to let fly. So in time, I began to trust the other side and deliberately chose not to worry about some aspects of a given shot with great success.

Sometimes it's best to go with the right side and in fact the whole "The Inner Game of Tennis" premise of Timothy Gallwey was built on that.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes!

Stan Shuffett

Not necessarily. I think it would depend on the player.

Lou Figueroa

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not necessarily. I think it would depend on the player.

Lou Figueroa

Does not matter who the player is. It's "whole brain" .....He may be the top right brain player on the block but he'll have no choice in disengaging the left side. Does not work that way.
"In everything we do both the left brain and right brain are involved."
David Lazear

Stan Shuffett

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sure the action is right brained but the left side will be green flagged for overclocking

I’m a cuestick Aimer so I just point it at the desired target and besides initial hand placement which I see in whole view eyes always on target one stroke and turn the corner and rip my pants button to knee on the corner cap.

True story. Glad I had on some boxers lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's funny!

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If a player is at the table thinking with his middle brain whether the left brain or right brain is going to be the primary decision maker on any given shot, that would be somebody I'd want to be playing for a large sum of money.

The conflict going between those two sides would be like his masculine and feminine side railing against each other.

M: "Hell yeah I can pull off this shot and get a runout! When my opponent sees this baby going in he'll have all the wind taken out of his sails for the rest of the night.

F: "Go ahead sweetie. If you miss he's going to run all over you like a tank the rest of the night for all the cash. Your big ego and tough guy act always gets you in trouble.

M: "Kiss my butt Broom Hilda. I'm not going to be a weak knee little twit like you are."

F. "We'll see about the knees big boy because yours are going to be bloodied from crawling all the way to the car at the end of the parking lot after he drains you of every penny in your pocket along with your cue and case."

Opponent: "Hey! Will you friggin' shoot already. We're going to be here all night for three lousy games if you keep turning from your right to the left and then the left to the right like you're talking to someone between every shot. Shoot the damn ball already!"

Right brain, left brain, left brain, right brain - who gives a damn! Everybody knows the brain that rules over man isn't the one in his head. It's much lower on the anatomy!

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
LOL, but I never wanted to F*#K a pool table.

:wink:
If a player is at the table thinking with his middle brain whether the left brain or right brain is going to be the primary decision maker on any given shot, that would be somebody I'd want to be playing for a large sum of money.

The conflict going between those two sides would be like his masculine and feminine side railing against each other.

M: "Hell yeah I can pull off this shot and get a runout! When my opponent sees this baby going in he'll have all the wind taken out of his sails for the rest of the night.

F: "Go ahead sweetie. If you miss he's going to run all over you like a tank the rest of the night for all the cash. Your big ego and tough guy act always gets you in trouble.

M: "Kiss my butt Broom Hilda. I'm not going to be a weak knee little twit like you are."

F. "We'll see about the knees big boy because yours are going to be bloodied from crawling all the way to the car at the end of the parking lot after he drains you of every penny in your pocket along with your cue and case."

Opponent: "Hey! Will you friggin' shoot already. We're going to be here all night for three lousy games if you keep turning from your right to the left and then the left to the right like you're talking to someone between every shot. Shoot the damn ball already!"

Right brain, left brain, left brain, right brain - who gives a damn! Everybody knows the brain that rules over man isn't the one in his head. It's much lower on the anatomy!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does not matter who the player is. It's "whole brain" .....He may be the top right brain player on the block but he'll have no choice in disengaging the left side. Does not work that way.
"In everything we do both the left brain and right brain are involved."
David Lazear

Stan Shuffett

I agree that the whole brain would be engaged, but for some tasks and for some individuals, one area vs another dominates.

Interestingly, some of the more recent research on how the brain operates is focused on top and bottom brain vs left and right.

Lou Figueroa