Spin Doesn't Transfer from CB to OB

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
no doubt

Banking proves it easily. There is another proof too. I first learned about helping english over forty years ago on a wickedly tight snooker table set up for golf. Many shots wouldn't go without helping english and a lot more wouldn't go if you put the wrong english on the cue ball to play shape. The table was very tight and had deep shelves. Tight pockets with shallow shelves still play fairly easily on a pool table. Add rounded corners and deep shelves and the table becomes a monster to play on. Proper speed and english were musts.

A side note, that table taught a lot about playing angles and english. When I was going to the world's pool hall regularly(Buffalo's Metairie LA) I was talking to a friend from the Philippines one day. I started talking about that old snooker table and he got excited. He said that was exactly the table he learned to play on. Makes me wonder how many of the monster players from the Philippines also spent time on a table like that.

Hu

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a diference between transfering english from a CB to an OB and creating english on an OB by hitting the OB at an off-angle with the CB. These videos show both. They are very different.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a diference between transfering english from a CB to an OB and creating english on an OB by hitting the OB at an off-angle with the CB. These videos show both. They are very different.

Now we're cooking...

Far more spin on the object ball can be created with an angle as opposed to the transfer of spin by the cue ball to the object ball.

Freddy's bank shot is creating spin on the OB because of the angle.

In the original video example, provided by the original poster, you can see with the straight in shot there is very little spin transferred to the OB ... however there is clearly some transfer, but very little.

Nice thread ... interesting topic.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't say they are "very" different. Both involve friction. Both involve CB surface speeds relative to the OB surface at the contact point. I'd argue the two phenomena are much closer than they are different. But it's true they are not exactly identical.

And yes, both involve spin transferred to the OB.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
im sorry.

I can hit a ball dead straight make the Cb stop dead and impart spin on the ob...

Jaden

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG, I can't believe anyone other than a beginner doesn't know some spin is transferred. Who ever doesn't needs to start playing banks and one pocket. Then you'll learn something

foospot

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I agree

Spin does not transfer to OB unless it is a bit dirty on straight or angle shot, put a spit on OB and CB the OB will never spin or throw..The evidence when you play on new balls or newly clean balls banks do not always behave same as we knew it (throw and spin)

If u don't get rid friction completely-spin transfers.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do not know what the term would be in todays world, but the old school term was
"The gear effect". Absolutely spin will transfer. And it is controllable.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
not Jaden

Hmmmm? Explain.

Not Jaden but I have done just that many times. When I did it the object ball is hit just a gnat's ass off straight and the angle and spin on the cue ball cancel out. The object ball goes where intended and the cue ball stays in place.

One night when I was a kid I did that for an hour or two, firing every near straight shot as hard as I could just to see how long the cue ball would spin. When on a roll you can hit shots with significant angle and the cue ball stun completely or only move a few inches. Best I remember it was a touch of inside and a twenty-five mile an hour strike. :wink:

I did manage to annoy most of the people trying to play pool or even listen to the juke box. :grin:

Hu

John Brumback

Silver Member
OMG, I can't believe anyone other than a beginner doesn't know some spin is transferred. Who ever doesn't needs to start playing banks and one pocket. Then you'll learn something

Yeah,no kidding. Or buy a "how to bank" dvd. Then watch it and pay attention:wink: John B.

PS: If you think spin cannot be transferred to the ob.....then I have a saying for ya..."to smart to learn"