Sportmanship question (let me put on my flack jacket....)

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just trying to get the pulse of the community.

Playing in a league singles regional qualifier. Top bracket (NAPA 100+). I'm nervous and down 2-0 race to 6, been in my chair since racking game 1. Get to the table, run 2 thru 5 and for some reason didn't see the 6. My pattern just didn't include it. I shot the 7 out of sequence - my opponent immediately calls a foul, since he standing near the table watching.

I'm not judging , just curious as to how many folks would have said something before I shot?

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
How do you know that he anticipated? He could have not seen it until it happened. But no, this is not a question of sportmanship. You lost the game.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rules are rules !

If it were me and my opponent did not call a foul I would call it upon myself.

You see, there is this elusive thing called integrity. You either have it or your don't.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Coaching is not allowed.

Friday night tournament. Was coming through the losers bracket. Had my alcohol content just right. Was playing a young man that I had never met. We were playing 8 ball and having a good battle. Winner was guaranteed 3rd and in the money. I had 2 balls and he had 1 left on the table. He had left me with an extreme cut available. I took it and played the cue ball such that I had a good shot and angle on my last ball and if I missed he had the same cut. I nailed it perfectly and knew I was ready to win the tournament. Then I got down and made the extreme cut on his ball getting ball in hand shape on the 8. After calling the 8 as I was getting down on it he said, “foul”. I thought he was joking and asked, “how so?”. To which he replied, “you just shot my ball.”
I stopped, chuckled and shook his hand. I would not have wanted it any other way.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member

Playing in a league singles regional qualifier. Top bracket (NAPA 100+). I'm nervous and down 2-0 race to 6, been in my chair since racking game 1. Get to the table, run 2 thru 5 and for some reason didn't see the 6. My pattern just didn't include it. I shot the 7 out of sequence - my opponent immediately calls a foul, since he standing near the table watching.

I'm not judging , just curious as to how many folks would have said something before I shot?
I would say that in any kind of important situation, most people that I know wouldn't let you know and would call a foul on you after you shot the wrong ball. Some would even "pretend" that they didn't notice until after you made contact with the 7 ball. I'm not sure what I would have done in that situation.

Once I was shooting my third to last ball from all of the way at the other end of the table playing 8-ball. It was hill-hill and the winner of that game would be in 3rd place and get $80 (with obviously a chance to place higher). My ball was near the pocket and the 8-ball was just to the left of my object ball. I slow rolled the cue ball and made my ball. However, I noticed that the 8-ball had moved. It was so close to my object ball that I wasn't sure if I hit the 8-ball first, hit the two balls at the same time, or hit my ball first.

I got up from the shot and just starred a while, listening to hear if my opponent called a foul. I slowly walked toward the cue ball for my next shot. No foul was called. I proceeded to run the rest of the balls and win the game. However, when I was running the remaining balls, some other player on the next table saw the hit and had told my opponent that I had hit the 8-ball first and fouled. So my opponent walked up to me and instead of shaking my hand, he said something like, "If you really want to win that way!...."

I then asked a friend of mine that was watching and he confirmed that I had indeed hit the 8-ball first. The guy that was running the tournament came over and asked my opponent if he wanted to play the game over, and he refused and just left. That seemed a little odd too.

But the bottom line is, in your situation, you had nobody to blame but yourself. If your opponent was extremely honest, he could have warned you before the foul. But the fault was squarely on you. The rules don't require him to do that, so he didn't.

In my situation, my opponent needed to call a foul if he thought that I fouled. If he did, I would have given up the table, since I wasn't sure what had happened. Unless I'm positive that I really did foul, I'm not going to call one on myself with third place on the line. That was my opponent's role. But I should say, that before the tournament was over, the story had spread around that "I had cheated"! I mean, if I was up close to the object ball, I obviously would have known if I hit the 8-ball first, but from all of the way on the other end of the table on the rail, I just wasn't sure. But the price that I paid for not paying enough attention myself, was that some other players concluded that I had cheated. Actions do have consequences for sure, intentional actions or not.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Coaching is not allowed.

Friday night tournament. Was coming through the losers bracket. Had my alcohol content just right. Was playing a young man that I had never met. We were playing 8 ball and having a good battle. Winner was guaranteed 3rd and in the money. I had 2 balls and he had 1 left on the table. He had left me with an extreme cut available. I took it and played the cue ball such that I had a good shot and angle on my last ball and if I missed he had the same cut. I nailed it perfectly and knew I was ready to win the tournament. Then I got down and made the extreme cut on his ball getting ball in hand shape on the 8. After calling the 8 as I was getting down on it he said, “foul”. I thought he was joking and asked, “how so?”. To which he replied, “you just shot my ball.”
I stopped, chuckled and shook his hand. I would not have wanted it any other way.
I actually had something funnier than that happen. I was running out and executed a really tricky leave just perfectly to get on the 8-ball to win. However, the cue ball was on the rail. I was still a huge favorite to make the 8-ball though. But I rushed the shot and missed the 8-ball. I was really mad at myself....UNTIL...my teammates informed me that I still had the 6-ball left on the table! Had I made the 8-ball, I would have lost. I ended-up winning that game eventually. LOL

My teammates said the same thing to me. Dude, we were dying to tell you, but we couldn't coach! But obviously my opponent didn't tell me that I had the 6-ball left either. He was patiently waiting for me to make the 8-ball and lose!

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
it's not nice but your opponent has no obligation to tell you that you are shooting the wrong ball........................

Kim

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Is he supposed to stop you every time he thinks you are possibly making a bad choice?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DryFlyTrout

I don't think I would tell you that you were about to shoot the wrong ball. It's your responsibility to pay attention and decide on what shots to play. It's not my place to debate your choices while you're at the table.
If you saw a better shot than the one your opponent was lining up, would you say something? Hopefully the response is of course not. I don't see this any differently.

Nikrnic

Your really not supposed to say anything before your opponent shoots so why would you call out a potential foul.. To be a nice guy I suppose. Nah.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the best jump shots I ever made was a thin cut into a side pocket on the six ball with perfect 3 rail shape on the seven. Unfortunately, the five was still on the table… 😑

Don’t do dumb things.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

You are responsible for what you do.
if a guy was on my team and warned an opponent that he was about to commit a foul, either I’m leaving the team, or he is.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Is he supposed to stop you every time he thinks you are possibly making a bad choice?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This reminds me of an 8 ball game where my opponent was upset that I was going to take an intentional foul by pocketing his ball. The break ball for an unmanageable cluster. After I explained that I knew it was his ball and he would get ball in hand, he wasn’t satisfied. So I asked him if he expected to be able to choose all my shots.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since your question is, how many of us would have said something, I’ll answer that. I most likely would not have said anything. For me to speak up when my opponent is over the ball is rare. Not because I am trying to use the rules in my favor but out of fear of offending/sharking my opponent. I’m never sure what my opponent is trying to do.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been on both sides of this, probably more than most. I'm colorblind and I get the balls mixed up a lot. I've shot at the wrong ball many a time, and sometimes my opponent will stop me beforehand, and sometimes they will not. I'm always appreciative when they stop me. But when they don't, I'm never angry at them. I'm usually embarrassed I made that mistake.

On the other side of it, an opponent shooting at the wrong ball is rare. I recall one guy we always battled hard, we wanted to kill each other on the table and take each other's money by any means possible. He was shooting at the wrong ball, and I knew it. As soon as he shot I said foul. He was not happy. During that time in my pool career, I just wanted to beat him to a pulp on the table, and take his money. If we were to play now, 20 years later, I'd for sure tell him he's on the wrong ball. But at that time, no way.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I remember more than a few years ago we had a thread similar to this one. I also remember that in that thread I commented that unless I absolutely detested my opponent, I would surely warn him if he/she were about to shoot the wrong ball.

I have since changed my mind.

After literally years of watching underrated players getting spots and winning without the spot, players doing all kinds of subtle sharking, players paying more attention to their cell phones than they are their game, etc., I am at the point where I will try to win the game in whatever way I can do it within the rules.

Last I checked, there were no rules for warning your opponent that they are shooting at the wrong ball. And the posters that say "it's on them" are absolutely correct.

YMMV

Maniac