St. Louis Road Trip - lessons with Mark Wilson

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
I've had a new job for the past 9 months that has allowed me the time to actively pursue my dream of becoming a proficient pool player. I thought I would pop out of the woodshed long enough to relate a FABULOUS series of lessons from Mark Wilson (the "St. Louis Shooter").

I visited Mark for a 4 day series of lessons; consider it a "pool boot camp" if you will. The general sequence is breakfast, 2 mile walk, shower, pool, lunch, pool, dinner, pool, midnight snack, more pool, sleep (light on the sleep), repeat.

We mainly played on a 10 foot Brunswick, and the answer to your not-yet-asked question is: NO, POOL IS NOT EASIER ON A BIGGER TABLE!! The bigger table puts tremendous pressure on your shotmaking.

Those that think the larger position areas make position play easier on such tables are WRONG. Yes, there is more room; but you MUST get the proper angle to move whitey around with the least effort; because obtaining that proper position requires moving whitey a LOT farther than on a smaller table. On a previous trip, that table just kicked my a$$, so I've been practicing hard for 6 weeks, hoping to return the favor this trip.

Day #1 = table kicks my a$$.
Day #2 = table kicks my a$$ again, but I have a couple of good games/drills.
Day #3 = I'm having a lot of good racks/drills, and occasionally forget how intimidating this freaking table is.
Day #4 = I don't even think about the size of the table, it's just where we play.

This sequence is the result of the training that Mark is providing. The larger table certainly makes it easier for him to put pressure on your stroke (a good stroke is certainly MUCH easier to deliver on an easy shot than a difficult shot; and Mark can find shots/positions on this table that even Efren would be sweating).

I've had a couple of lesson sessions from Mark per year for at least 2 or 3 years; but the new job schedule is allowing me more time this year, and the results are very gratifying. Anyone who can't run a hundred; anyone serious about improving; anyone who wants a mechanically simple, repeatable, and pressure resistant stroke; anyone who has always wondered how those pro's got so good - should RUN (not walk) over to St. Louis and look up Mark for some lessons. It is my impression that he is more interested in working with serious students, and I'm about as serious as a heart attack.

P.S. - did I mention that this was BIG FUN??? I just spent 2 weeks in Vegas; seeing shows, eating out, sightseeing, hanging out at the pool. Four days of pool with Mark was probably just a bit more fun.
 
Last edited:
Congratulations Don! It was nice to see you, in Vegas, albeit for about a minute! Lessons with Mark are always rewarding and interesting. He is a tremendous asset, to the sport, as an instructor. I've enjoyed working with him in the past, and I look forward to more opportunities, in the future! We worked together at the Kid's Cue Camp years ago, and I'm hoping to resurrect that again, for next year! I'm sure the lessons will pay off, in helping you DEFEND the Betmore Cup, from the onslaught of AzB challengers! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I've had a new job for the past 9 months that has allowed me the time to actively pursue my dream of becoming a proficient pool player. I thought I would pop out of the woodshed long enough to relate a FABULOUS series of lessons from Mark Wilson (the "St. Louis Shooter").

I visited Mark for a 4 day series of lessons; consider it a "pool boot camp" if you will. The general sequence is breakfast, 2 mile walk, shower, pool, lunch, pool, dinner, pool, midnight snack, more pool, sleep (light on the sleep), repeat.

We mainly played on a 10 foot Brunswick, and the answer to your not-yet-asked question is: NO, POOL IS NOT EASIER ON A BIGGER TABLE!! The bigger table puts tremendous pressure on your shotmaking.

Those that think the larger position areas make position play easier on such tables are WRONG. Yes, there is more room; but you MUST get the proper angle to move whitey around with the least effort; because obtaining that proper position requires moving whitey a LOT farther than on a smaller table. On a previous trip, that table just kicked my a$$, so I've been practicing hard for 6 weeks, hoping to return the favor this trip.

Day #1 = table kicks my a$$.
Day #2 = table kicks my a$$ again, but I have a couple of good games/drills.
Day #3 = I'm having a lot of good racks/drills, and occasionally forget how intimidating this freaking table is.
Day #4 = I don't even think about the size of the table, it's just where we play.

This sequence is the result of the training that Mark is providing. The larger table certainly makes it easier for him to put pressure on your stroke (a good stroke is certainly MUCH easier to deliver on an easy shot than a difficult shot; and Mark can find shots/positions on this table that even Efren would be sweating).

I've had a couple of lesson sessions from Mark per year for at least 2 or 3 years; but the new job schedule is allowing me more time this year, and the results are very gratifying. Anyone who can't run a hundred; anyone serious about improving; anyone who wants a mechanically simple, repeatable, and pressure resistant stroke; anyone who has always wondered how those pro's got so good - should RUN (not walk) over to St. Louis and look up Mark for some lessons. It is my impression that he is more interested in working with serious students, and I'm about as serious as a heart attack.

P.S. - did I mention that this was BIG FUN??? I just spent 2 weeks in Vegas; seeing shows, eating out, sightseeing, hanging out at the pool. Four days of pool with Mark was probably just a bit more fun.
 
I'm sure the lessons will pay off, in helping you DEFEND the Betmore Cup, from the onslaught of AzB challengers! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com


Scott,
Geez...I'm not really sure that the lessons are helping me defend the Cup. I've found that non-stop sharking, loud rock and roll music, and liberal administration of alcoholic beverages are EXTREMELY effective at incapacitating my opponent.

Mark really doesn't emphasize these parts of an effective pool game; and I'm somewhat expert already.
 
Betmore CUP endangered!!!!

Read all about it!! Right here and right NOW!!!

I see where Mr Willie Betmore has been taking lessons from Mark Wilson. And practicing his sharking techniques.

Well - it seems that I might be in 'his neck of the woods' sometime around mid July for a week or so. It seems my wife is finally 'gettin' out' and is moving to Vegas. (By the way, she is not getting out of jail - she is retiring from the Navy). Just wanted to make that clear. (And to keep Willie from all kinds of innuendo and snide remarks).

Once I get the dates a little clearer, I am CALLING OUT WILLIE!!!

I will play him a nice competitive series of games. Maybe a little 8-ball/9-0ball/one-pocket/ and 14.l)

This could be a 2-3 session event.

This will probably be the last time I will be in Indianapolis for quite awhile and would like to have a FAIR chance at winning the Betmreo Cup.

I want him to know that he is being called out - and his namesake is in jeopardy. And it would be funny if he would have to come to Vegas to try and re-claim his namesake.

So ----- what say you Mr. Willie????? Are you up to the challenger - or do you 'have more moves than a snake has hips?' The world wants to know. (By the way, TAR could be available for PPV - if your fans would buy!!)

Yours in competition,

Mark Griffin
 
Read all about it!! Right here and right NOW!!!

I see where Mr Willie Betmore has been taking lessons from Mark Wilson. And practicing his sharking techniques.

Well - it seems that I might be in 'his neck of the woods' sometime around mid July for a week or so. It seems my wife is finally 'gettin' out' and is moving to Vegas. (By the way, she is not getting out of jail - she is retiring from the Navy). Just wanted to make that clear. (And to keep Willie from all kinds of innuendo and snide remarks).

Once I get the dates a little clearer, I am CALLING OUT WILLIE!!!

I will play him a nice competitive series of games. Maybe a little 8-ball/9-0ball/one-pocket/ and 14.l)

This could be a 2-3 session event.

This will probably be the last time I will be in Indianapolis for quite awhile and would like to have a FAIR chance at winning the Betmore Cup.

I want him to know that he is being called out - and his namesake is in jeopardy. And it would be funny if he would have to come to Vegas to try and re-claim his namesake.

So ----- what say you Mr. Willie????? Are you up to the challenger - or do you 'have more moves than a snake has hips?' The world wants to know. (By the way, TAR could be available for PPV - if your fans would buy!!)

Yours in competition,

Mark Griffin

Mr. Griphon,
Of course all challenges from legitimate contenders are always accepted (but I can make an exception for you and accept yours as well if you will PROMISE to brush up your game and not embarrass yourself....remember leather tip strikes the ball, rubber bumper strikes the floor....I can send you a reminder card to slip into your case).

I know that the straight pool is quite confusing for you...all of that one ball, one point stuff had you quite unsettled the last time...but don't worry, you are SURE to make at least one point this time.

Though it seems unlikely that you will actually show; I do like the idea of multiple sessions if you can find the time (now that I won that Brooklyn Bridge from you, you should have more free time....just cleaning that bridge takes all my time...and WHOOOO them pigeons make a mess....). Please don't give me any more of that stuff about betting the BCAPL or your "share" of Diamond Billiards against the Cup. I wasn't born yesterday; the value of the Cup far exceeds those companies even if you did have some stake in them (which I don't believe for a second....that BCAPL/Vegas event that I played in was FABULOUS, WELL ORGANIZED, and ran like a WELL-OILED MACHINE on the BEST TABLES EVER; there is NO way you could have had any part in it).

Due to the overwhelming desire on the part of serious pool players everywhere (and you too) I have decided to change the Cup a bit; sort of like the British Open where we engrave the name (or use crayon) of the Cup winner permanently on the pedestal of the Cup (I'm going to use a cap from my can of Quick Clean....but it's kinda expensive...). If you are still game to try to have your name listed in the pantheon of all-time greats winning a "Betmore Cup Competition", then bring it on (I'll be shopping for beer soon, so please let me know if I need another refrigerator...I only have 2).
 
Last edited:
If the history of competition has taught us anythng, it's that champions need to be pushed to their max to reach their highest level. In the annals of top competition, Ali had Frazier, Affirmed had Alydar, Borg had Mcenroe, and Williebetmore has Mark Griffin. Let the games begin!
 
Thanks for the write up. I always enjoy reading your posts.

What part of your game needs the most work? What did Mark W. spend the most time on with you?

Is the 10'er in Marks house? What is the make and model?

How does Mark's style of teaching differ from that of say Grady Mathews or Danny Diliberto.

Sorry for all the questions.

My favorite "write up" from Williebetmore
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=62606
 
This I have to see for myself. Keep me informed, I need some time down to kick back....SPF=randyg
 
If the history of competition has taught us anythng, it's that champions need to be pushed to their max to reach their highest level. In the annals of top competition, Ali had Frazier, Affirmed had Alydar, Borg had Mcenroe, and Williebetmore has Mark Griffin. Let the games begin!

sjm,
You forget Mosconi and Crane. By including them in your series; I could then extrapolate that I will play like Mosconi, and Mr. Grifffffin will play like Alydar (similar levels of pool knowledge...I can try to find a stall for him if he needs a place to stay....come to think of it the front lawn could use a trim, perhaps he could graze out there for a while between sessions...).
 
Thanks for the write up. I always enjoy reading your posts.

What part of your game needs the most work? What did Mark W. spend the most time on with you?

Is the 10'er in Marks house? What is the make and model?

How does Mark's style of teaching differ from that of say Grady Mathews or Danny Diliberto.

Sorry for all the questions.

My favorite "write up" from Williebetmore
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=62606

OMG, I was unprepared for an actual pool discussion, but RELISH the opportunity to expound. I do not know the make and model of the 10 footer owned by Mark.

The main focus of all of the lessons I have had with Mark has been on developing a PERFECTLY straight stroke; with as few moving parts/planes as possible; as orthodox as possible (my request...it makes troubleshooting your stroke much easier if things go awry). We also work on eye movement/patterns; pre-shot routine; breathing patterns; bridge formation; stroke rhythm. The amount of precision required to play pro level pool is incredible; and his goal is to teach the student how to develop such precision - it takes WORK.

It would be presumptuous of me to even try to estimate my own areas of weakness. I just hit balls for 5 or 10 minutes in front of Mark (or Jerry Briesath...same thing), and they will tell me EXACTLY what my weakness is and proceed to fix it.

Most of these things (as time goes by) require less and less radical changes; just minor refining/tweaking. There are no secrets, as Mark can present the basics in a standard 4 hour introductory lesson. You then owe him 10,000 hours of practice, after which he will re-do the lesson, and all of the things you were told initially have new meaning and new benefit. Make no mistake, it is a LOT of work; but having a trained eye to tweak an orthodox stroke yields fairly instant improvement (I don't wait weeks to see any improvement; it is fairly immediate, then continues with focused practice). Had I been able to visit Mark more than once or twice a year in the past, I would have progressed MUCH more rapidly.

This week we made a very minor right elbow position adjustment, a moderate bridge hand adjustment, and what seemed like a miniscule stroke rhythm adjustment (that yielded a HUGE improvement).

Mark also is expert in pool "physics", and regularly tries to find areas/shots of which I am unaware - this also helps break the monotony of drills for some students (I like drills). I believe he is seeking to show me the boundaries of what is and is not possible. If you don't explore these areas you may ignore a world of possible shots.

We also compete (I receive a handicap) at things like bank drills, Equal Offense, straight pool. Mark's emphasis at these times seems to be on the principles of proper position, game strategy, mental focus, and proper thinking - while still delivering the very best stroke possible, EVERY shot.

Lessons with Danny D. and Grady are very different - we never discuss the stroke; just game strategies and all different types of specific shots. They also have a wealth of road stories. Mark has also had an effect on my straight pool strategy - and his road stories are tremendous as well.

P.S. - We also listen to music...Tom Petty, Beatles are favored. An occasional Accu-Stats video during lunch can be inspirational as well.
 
Last edited:
Mark is definitely the best to take lessons from. The only person we ever recommend.

markscreensave.jpg
 
Back
Top