statement from matchroom sports

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read the statement from matchroom sports regarding their payment policy. It clears up some of the misinformation recently published.

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=8922

In the recent Run Out Radio broadcast with Mr Barry Berhman, there were certain statements made by Mr Behrman about Matchroom Sport and how it goes about paying players competing in its three pool events, the World Pool Masters, the World Cup of Pool and the Mosconi Cup.

For the avoidance of any doubt, Matchroom Sport does NOT pay players at its events 30 days after their conclusion. Furthermore, none of our events are broadcast on a pay-per-view basis, nor do we go around collecting checks from broadcasters in order to pay the players.

Matchroom Sport is a large business encompassing ten sports with a multi-million dollar turnover and as such we have many large, long-term, multi-year broadcast contracts in place with TV stations around the world.

To be absolutely clear, we generally pay early round losers in cash at the venue wherever practical. All other players are paid on return to our offices by international transfer which will take up to five working days for the money to arrive in the recipients bank accounts.

By Luke Riches - Matchroom Sport - 2011-07-12

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well I`ll try. All tournaments which aspire to be world class events should guarantee advertised prize money. If someone cannot afford to promote an event that way they should accept the fact that it is destined to become a minor league affair. The quality of the field makes an event world class, not the name of the tournament. Hope that helps

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=8922

In the recent Run Out Radio broadcast with Mr Barry Berhman, there were certain statements made by Mr Behrman about Matchroom Sport and how it goes about paying players competing in its three pool events, the World Pool Masters, the World Cup of Pool and the Mosconi Cup.

For the avoidance of any doubt, Matchroom Sport does NOT pay players at its events 30 days after their conclusion. Furthermore, none of our events are broadcast on a pay-per-view basis, nor do we go around collecting checks from broadcasters in order to pay the players.

Matchroom Sport is a large business encompassing ten sports with a multi-million dollar turnover and as such we have many large, long-term, multi-year broadcast contracts in place with TV stations around the world.

To be absolutely clear, we generally pay early round losers in cash at the venue wherever practical. All other players are paid on return to our offices by international transfer which will take up to five working days for the money to arrive in the recipients bank accounts.

By Luke Riches - Matchroom Sport - 2011-07-12

I can vouch for this. I've been there and watched them write the checks, IMMEDIATELY after a player is knocked out of the tournament! There is no other promotional group in pool quite as professional as Matchroom. Dragon Promotions is another good organization for professionalism.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can vouch for this. I've been there and watched them write the checks, IMMEDIATELY after a player is knocked out of the tournament! There is no other promotional group in pool quite as professional as Matchroom. Dragon Promotions is another good organization for professionalism.

Absolutely- I sooooooooooooo wish they would take the WPC back and return to Cardiff. I offered to sponsor it for 10K worth a few years back if they would. Unfortunately circumstances are different for me now but I'll still contribute 5K for as long as the stock market stays above 10,500

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

CSI is another good one. Johnnyt

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

Did you bump your head? DP is what it is. What it isn't is anything like Matchroom. One is the most respected promotions company in pool with a long history of integrity and first class promotions. The other one conjures world championships at a whim, doesn't let the truth get in the way of a press release and has a habit of burning bridges and pissing people off wherever it goes.

Ones not like the other.

Matchroom is the definition of class. DP is DP.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you bump your head? DP is what it is. What it isn't is anything like Matchroom. One is the most respected promotions company in pool with a long history of integrity and first class promotions. The other one conjures world championships at a whim, doesn't let the truth get in the way of a press release and has a habit of burning bridges and pissing people off wherever it goes.

Ones not like the other.

Matchroom is the definition of class. DP is DP.

:banghead: I did bump my head! OUCH!

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Dumb association/comparison

Matchroom is the pinnacle billiards promoter and we should all dream that they put on more events or organize a world tour.

Anyone bringing up their name in the breathe of the recent goings on is being foolish - IMO.

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member
What a hot mess!

If pool were a business...it would close it's doors tommorrow the way it is run today. It is not a business however....It is more of a everybody do WTH you want free for all!

The only thing I have seen progress in the right direction in pool these days is TAR. (as well as other streamers such as BigTruck ect ect.) It is the hottest thing in pool by far. Maybe TAR should start getting into the promotion of big Tournaments. Everyone else is.

Last edited: