Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Has nothing to do with what I wrote, but, okay?

Has everything to do with what you wrote, huge pockets or not, you still need to have an idea about how to play 14.1 to string racks together, the POCKETS won't do that for you! Had Ruslan stuck around for a week, you might NOT be talking about Jason Shaw running 714 today!!! Think about THAT!!

In fact, if Ruslan broke the record chances are you wouldn't have even seen Jayson Shaw play at all!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If Shaw didn’t play another rack of 14.1 for a few years then started this high run thing again he’d probably start out the same way he did this time. Then as he got back into it he’d get in 14.1 stroke again.

I know the knowledge doesn’t totally go away but it will move to cold storage when not in use. That’s with anything.

I believe the pearl, for what it’s worth. Rock on
With age, yes, your eyes can go bad, yes your back can hurt, yes you might need to go to bed earlier, yes you might even be on medication, yes you might not even hold your cue the way you use to, might even have a shake stroke to, BUT what you never forget, is HOW to play the game!!

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Has everything to do with what you wrote, huge pockets or not, you still need to have an idea about how to play 14.1 to string racks together, the POCKETS won't do that for you! Had Ruslan stuck around for a week, you might NOT be talking about Jason Shaw running 714 today!!! Think about THAT!!

In fact, if Ruslan broke the record chances are you wouldn't have even seen Jayson Shaw play at all!

How hard would it be to sell a record breaking run if accomplished in kommie kountry

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So is it true that this contest has apparently been put completely on hold, at least until they can figure out what to do about this pocket size public relations issue?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the table has already been broken down and the rails/cushions/facings redone or removed, to get rid of any remaining potential evidence. It’s a good thing for them that I am not on the BCA record accreditation committee.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Man, just like with Hu’s nuclear plant, the best part of AZB is when you get a glimpse into the wild world of some members’ non-pool related lives.

There are stone heavyweights that visit here and a lot can be gleaned, if your so inclined

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So is it true that this contest has apparently been put completely on hold, at least until they can figure out what to do about this pocket size public relations issue?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the table has already been broken down and the rails/cushions/facings redone or removed, to get rid of any remaining potential evidence. It’s a good thing for them that I am not on the BCA record accreditation committee.
For right now I guess its on hold because the players that want to play in it are all at DCC. So, we'll have e to wait and see if Bobby wants to put up another grand prize to another record breaker or not, John Schmidt's record is broken now, so we'll see if there's really anymore reason to push the record even higher! That might turn out to be a little to rich for Bobby’s blood. I can definitely see the record being broken at least 2 or 3 more times in the next few months, if the incentive is there, and don't get reduced to being not worthwhile.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
There are no details because they haven’t been released. Early on there was one photo of a corner pocket with a caliper up to what was an attempt to sell to us to be the mouth of the pocket, reading 4.95 inches. That could not be confirmed as an accurate mouth measurement to those of us wise enough to realize it, due to the angle the photo was taken from.

I believe after the record run, an overhead screenshot of a corner pocket with two balls sitting inside the mouth was released I believe by Jayson, I’m sure very much against the wishes of the organizers. Based on that photo it’s quite obvious the pocket mouth is closer to 5-1/4 inches than to 5 inches. Otherwise, it’s being kept a tightly held secret.

As to the number of attempts for Jayson, I’m guessing a few hundred over the 5 to 6 days, but a majority of those were less than 50 ball runs. He did have numerous runs over 200, a few runs over 300 including one close to 400, which he accomplished in the early portions of his last marathon session.

TKS for the info

Lou made to Lt Col or Col as a public mouthpiece during his distinguished career in the Air Force, i'd skip the ranks and promote you to a General of some kind

That's the gist of what i thought i read somewhere, was looking for confirmation, none of what you posted dimenishes Jason's accomplishment in any way

When focused on pool, which from all appearances JS is, he'll once again be one of the top three players in the world

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TKS for the info

Lou made to Lt Col or Col as a public mouthpiece during his distinguished career in the Air Force, i'd skip the ranks and promote you to a General of some kind

That's the gist of what i thought i read somewhere, was looking for confirmation, none of what you posted dimenishes Jason's accomplishment in any way

When focused on pool, which from all appearances JS is, he'll once again be one of the top three players in the world
Yes, he is without question one of the top 5 rotation players in the world. As for ranking those top 5, I’m going to pass on that. It’s certainly not as clear cut as it would be for golf or tennis.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member

Except it really doesn't have anything to do with what I wrote.

You're talking about theoretical.

I'm talking about reality. SvB did play. Earl did play. Ruslan did play. None of them put up surprising numbers.

If you want to theorize that it was only a matter of time before Ruslan or anyone else made 714 that's nice. You might be right. But it's a theory.

Also, I asked if SVB, Earl or Ruslan had either commented on the table OR congratulated Jayson on the 714. Their opinion would be highly valuable, but I haven't seen them offer it. Did they?

If the pockets are 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9" wide it's a fair debate how fair that is to previous records. But if multiple pros step up and shoot their normal-ish scores and approximately their normal personal bests (plus or minus a statistically reasonable number) and then only one player steps up and dominates the table, how much should I care about the pockets? It's a little like the debate of 7 foot table versus 8, 8.5, 9 or 10 foot table. Easy pocketing vs more clusters, and so on.

Regardless of the pocket size, Jayson was playing unbelievably consistent break ball position. Over and over and over again, great cut angles to open up the rack. About the only thing that varied was whether he broke from the left or right side :D

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I'm talking about reality. SvB did play. Earl did play. Ruslan did play. None of them put up surprising numbers.

If you want to theorize that it was only a matter of time before Ruslan or anyone else made 714 that's nice. You might be right. But it's a theory.

Also, I asked if SVB, Earl or Ruslan had either commented on the table OR congratulated Jayson on the 714. Their opinion would be highly valuable, but I haven't seen them offer it. Did they?

If the pockets are 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9" wide it's a fair debate how fair that is to previous records. But if multiple pros step up and shoot their normal-ish scores and approximately their normal personal bests (plus or minus a statistically reasonable number) and then only one player steps up and dominates the table, how much should I care about the pockets? It's a little like the debate of 7 foot table versus 8, 8.5, 9 or 10 foot table. Easy pocketing vs more clusters, and so on.

Regardless of the pocket size, Jayson was playing unbelievably consistent break ball position. Over and over and over again, great cut angles to open up the rack. About the only thing that varied was whether he broke from the left or right side :D
I guarantee you, if the top 64 players in the world were playing in a world 14.1 world championship event, and the 16 tables they were playing on had these size pockets, and only 8 players were going to walk away with some kind of money in their pocket, you'd hear the complaints then!!!!

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Do you really think anyone getting paid is going to complain about the pocket size??
Fair point. Nevertheless you are comparing a theoretical against reality (ie: theoretical is your own guess for why they didn't comment, positively or negative, versus reality which is that I haven't heard of ANY comment either way).

I find it interesting if they haven't congratulated Jayson though, considering how much flack John S got despite actually congratulating him.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I guarantee you, if the top 64 players in the world were playing in a world 14.1 world championship event, and the 16 tables they were playing on had these size pockets, and only 8 players were going to walk away with some kind of money in their pocket, you'd hear the complaints then!!!!
If every table was the same, and 64 players competed, what would the complaints be?
Sounds like the top 8 players walked away with money because they played better than the other 56 players on identical tables.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If every table was the same, and 64 players competed, what would the complaints be?
Sounds like the top 8 players walked away with money because they played better than the other 56 players on identical tables.

In a race to 200, do you really think there wouldn't be any blaming if the pocket sizes to account for the 200-0 score losses?? Darren Appleton is the only player in history with a 200-0 win in the finals, what would the players be thinking if there was several 200-0 losses?

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
In a race to 200, do you really think there wouldn't be any blaming if the pocket sizes to account for the 200-0 score loses?? Darren Appleton is the only player in history with a 200-0 win in the finals, what would the players be thinking if there was several 200-0 lose
If that happens, then at least you could point to something reality-based instead of theoretical.
If we want to play the theory game I could say that players would complain they are scratching too often off of the break because the pockets are buckets.
Pick your poison.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but hopefully it will be by reality, not theoretical concerns.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If that happens, then at least you could point to something reality-based instead of theoretical.
If we want to play the theory game I could say that players would complain they are scratching too often off of the break because the pockets are buckets.
Pick your poison.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but hopefully it will be by reality, not theoretical concerns.
So I guess you don't think Jayson's record can be broke either, right?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

sums up my position. jayson beat the previous event high run with 400 balls and that speaks for itself. wouldn't mind full specs on the table though.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson Shaw put on a clinic and deserves accolades for his 714.

However, the complete specs of the table need to be revealed so that any future attempts can be done on a table with the same specs so that accurate comparisons can be made.

He ran hundreds of balls on multiple attempts, but he also made many, many multiples of balls that would NEVER go on ANY normal Gold Crown in Hawaiian Brian's or any other pool hall in Hawaii.

kanzzo

hobby player
imagine if the way we acted on the internet translated into real life. a bunch of avid pool fans all gathered around the derby to celebrate pool and some of you guys just walked up to some of those guys and started yelling and screaming about the dimensions of their pockets. what a funny world we live in.
in Derby both players play on the same table. If they play one pocket and bottom right pocket is a little more favorable then bottom left - they play alternate breaks and next game you can choose the more favorable pocket. So this problem doesn't come up in Derby normally.

If it's a high run event and there is a price (like world record) for the high run but John Schmidt is allowed his tries only on a 5'' table while Jayson Shaw is allowed to play on 5 1/4'' table, then most viewers probably wouldn't consider it fair.

And no one is screaming. I never got louder. ;)