Sterling Wave Case Review

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, so maybe this should be in the product review section, but let's face it, that gets like seven hits a day. I want people to actually read this review.

I got my Sterling Wave 4x8 case today, and my first impressions have exceeded my expectations. I'll start with the outside, and we can work our way in. First of all, the overall appearance of the case is quite nice. I purchased the blue and black, and I am very pleased. It's got two shoulder straps so the case can be carried backpack style, and they're both very comfortable and sturdy. Time will tell whether or not I keep both straps, as I may only need one, but if I were to decide I didn't want both, I could simply take one off, as they are removable.

There is a handle on the side of the case as well, and again, it's very sturdy, but more surprisingly, it's quite comfortable. My old case has a nylon strap handle that's got a rubber/plastic-type coating on it, which makes it somewhat uncomfortable to carry.

I know there were zipper issues with the older models, and I know they have since been fixed. With that said, all of the zippers on my case work just fine and seem to be of very high quality. The zipper pulls are oversized, (probably close to 1-1/2" long), which is a welcome sight. Too often pulls tend to be too small, and this is just one of the many minor details that was not overlooked.

There are two pockets on the front of the case for storage. The first, near the top, is the accessory pocket. It's generously sized at 7-1/2"x5" and the BEST part about it is the zipper. It actually unzips almost all the way down the entire length of the pocket. There's nothing worse than a nice, big pocket that only unzips a few inches and leaves you digging around in blindness looking for a cube of chalk or your tip tool. With the Wave, you can basically unzip it and fold the pocket all the way down. Again, another detail that was carefully considered. The bottom pocket is also a great size, coming in at 15"x5". As with the smaller pocket, it zips almost the entire way down. It's got a super soft, cushioned mesh sleeve on the inside to hold a jump cue butt, and I EASILY fit in a box of 12 Master chalk, a box of 2 Blue Diamond chalk, a towel, some old tip tools, and my jump cue butt with plenty of storage to spare.

Onto the inside. From what I understand, the interior was designed by John Barton of JB Cases, and he did a PHENOMENAL job. Both the cue butts and shafts fit snug, but don't need to be forced down into the case. They simply slide in, and with a light push with one finger, they find their home. They are completely protected from movement, and the soft padding almost forms to the shape of the cue. The first test I put it to was this: I put one shaft in the case, nothing else. I turned the case upside down, and the shaft didn't move. That is evidence of how well the interior supports the cues. Then I put all of my cues in, three butts and five shafts, and not one of them was difficult to get in or out. And again, they didn't fall out when I turned the case upside down. Incredible.

This case truly is a fantastic piece of equipment. I very highly recommend it to any and all seeking an appealing case that will protect their investments to the fullest extent. One of the best parts about this case, though, is the price point. It is extremely affordable. This 4x8 case was $150. The 2x5/3x4 goes for $135 I believe. At that price, you won't find a better deal.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sterling Wave is also durable (mine is testament)!

Okay, so maybe this should be in the product review section, but let's face it, that gets like seven hits a day. I want people to actually read this review.

I got my Sterling Wave 4x8 case today, and my first impressions have exceeded my expectations. I'll start with the outside, and we can work our way in. First of all, the overall appearance of the case is quite nice. I purchased the blue and black, and I am very pleased. It's got two shoulder straps so the case can be carried backpack style, and they're both very comfortable and sturdy. Time will tell whether or not I keep both straps, as I may only need one, but if I were to decide I didn't want both, I could simply take one off, as they are removable.

There is a handle on the side of the case as well, and again, it's very sturdy, but more surprisingly, it's quite comfortable. My old case has a nylon strap handle that's got a rubber/plastic-type coating on it, which makes it somewhat uncomfortable to carry.

I know there were zipper issues with the older models, and I know they have since been fixed. With that said, all of the zippers on my case work just fine and seem to be of very high quality. The zipper pulls are oversized, (probably close to 1-1/2" long), which is a welcome sight. Too often pulls tend to be too small, and this is just one of the many minor details that was not overlooked.

There are two pockets on the front of the case for storage. The first, near the top, is the accessory pocket. It's generously sized at 7-1/2"x5" and the BEST part about it is the zipper. It actually unzips almost all the way down the entire length of the pocket. There's nothing worse than a nice, big pocket that only unzips a few inches and leaves you digging around in blindness looking for a cube of chalk or your tip tool. With the Wave, you can basically unzip it and fold the pocket all the way down. Again, another detail that was carefully considered. The bottom pocket is also a great size, coming in at 15"x5". As with the smaller pocket, it zips almost the entire way down. It's got a super soft, cushioned mesh sleeve on the inside to hold a jump cue butt, and I EASILY fit in a box of 12 Master chalk, a box of 2 Blue Diamond chalk, a towel, some old tip tools, and my jump cue butt with plenty of storage to spare.

Onto the inside. From what I understand, the interior was designed by John Barton of JB Cases, and he did a PHENOMENAL job. Both the cue butts and shafts fit snug, but don't need to be forced down into the case. They simply slide in, and with a light push with one finger, they find their home. They are completely protected from movement, and the soft padding almost forms to the shape of the cue. The first test I put it to was this: I put one shaft in the case, nothing else. I turned the case upside down, and the shaft didn't move. That is evidence of how well the interior supports the cues. Then I put all of my cues in, three butts and five shafts, and not one of them was difficult to get in or out. And again, they didn't fall out when I turned the case upside down. Incredible.

This case truly is a fantastic piece of equipment. I very highly recommend it to any and all seeking an appealing case that will protect their investments to the fullest extent. One of the best parts about this case, though, is the price point. It is extremely affordable. This 4x8 case was $150. The 2x5/3x4 goes for $135 I believe. At that price, you won't find a better deal.

9BallMarksman:

As a fellow Sterling Wave case owner, I couldn't agree more, and I honestly struggled to find something to add to this (a great thorough review!). The only substantial thing I want to add -- and I'm not sure if you're aware of this -- but the Sterling Wave, due to that soft/flexible interior, is probably the ONLY tube-style case on the market that can fit an entire Tony Ryan cue extension INSIDE THE CASE! I've attached a photo I snapped in the basement of a friend's house, that shows how well a cue extender fits in my Sterling Wave 4x8.

As you can also see, my Sterling Wave is the older model (one of the first to come off the production line, if I'm not mistaken -- John Barton can certainly elaborate on this). As such, it has the old zippers, but to be honest, I haven't had any problems with my Sterling Wave *at all*. Mine is of the Nubuc leather motif (has a suede-like feel), and once in a while I have to take a gummy eraser to the outside of it to remove the dirt, scuffs, etc. (I say, "big whoopie!" in the face of all the other positive things about this case.) My case is almost 3 years old, and still looks almost brand-new.

Hope this is a helpful addition, and again, nice job on the review!
-Sean

Attachments

• Photo_021010_001.jpg
    Photo_021010_001.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 662

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice addition, sfleinen. Thanks for adding a pic. I was going to take some pics of mine, but my thread got much longer than I anticipated so I decided against it. If anyone did want me to take some pics or a video of the newer model, I'd be more than happy.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I am considering getting a 3 Butts, and 4 Shaft for when I have to walk to the Pool Room, as I have heard the Back Pack Setup is GREAT.

sfleinen looks like you got a Toney Ryan Extension in your?

twal

"W"
Silver Member
Wave case

Can anyone tell me how the look/feel of this vinyl is. Very hard to tell from the different websites. Also thos who actuall own one of theses new 4b/8s cases can you take an actual measurement of the case. I need a full 32" to fit my 31" butt and protector. How hard is that top lid/cover? If I don't have protector will I beat this thing up? That bottom pocket looks to be quite a nice size to. I then to carry around too much stuff with me. That would help.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Can anyone tell me how the look/feel of this vinyl is. Very hard to tell from the different websites. Also thos who actuall own one of theses new 4b/8s cases can you take an actual measurement of the case. I need a full 32" to fit my 31" butt and protector. How hard is that top lid/cover? If I don't have protector will I beat this thing up? That bottom pocket looks to be quite a nice size to. I then to carry around too much stuff with me. That would help.

While I do not have the 4x8...mine is the 2x5/3x4 config...I am pretty sure all the Wave cases are the same length. Mine measures out at 34" in length. Even when he was at Instroke, John always seemed to make the cases able to handle longer cues...at least among the Premier line cases. I had no problem with storing a 60" with JPs in one, and from the looks of this case, there should be no problem.

Not sure what you mean by 'how hard is the top lid/cover?'....once the cues are inside the case, THEY DO NOT MOVE. Turn the case over, and THEY DO NOT MOVE. When you are ready, just a little upward shake, and they all pop up for easy access.

I have the black/brown faux tooled leather (vinyl) and it is pretty heavy duty...you're not going to get any little tears or anything...this is upholstery grade vinyl. But not all of the Wave cases come in the vinyl...depending on the color chosen, some may be a mix of vinyl and another material, or nylon covered. I have not seen the nylon cases up close yet, but suspect that the materials John uses are meant to stand up to us pool players. The man knows how to build a case.

Lisa

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The case measures in a 34" from top to bottom. You should have no problem getting your butt and protector in. The vinyl is like a high end upholstery vinyl. The pictures on cuesight.com are pretty accurate. The feel is hard to describe, but it's nice. Almost comparable to a very nice suitcase material.

The cover isn't rock hard, but I wouldn't see any problems from it. I think it offers plenty of protection unless you plan on running it over with your car or throwing it off a cliff. Hope this helps.

pudge

Registered
What a great case. I have the brown and tan 3x6? anyway it will fit that many.I really like the dual zippers, it makes it easy to get things in and out.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
What a great case. I have the brown and tan 3x6? anyway it will fit that many.I really like the dual zippers, it makes it easy to get things in and out.

Which model is this? The "3 cue" wave cases on cuesight are all listed as 3x4's or 2x5's. In other words there are seven holes.

BTW, Pudge, is the tan material a suede-like or nu-buck kind of texture? That's what it looks like from the pictures.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bottom pocket will fit multiple cue balls

Will the bottom pocket hold a cue ball?

JimS:

Definitely -- not just one, either (believe it or not, when I was playing in three different leagues per week a while back, I'd carry my own measles ball [for big tables] and genuine Aramith green-"S"-logoed magnetic ball [for bar tables]. That bottom pocket can probably fit more than just two cue balls -- probably three comfortably (albeit, stacked on top of each other, and you'd have to pull the zippers down the sides accordingly depending on which cue ball you wanted to remove).

Hope that's helpful!
-Sean

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I did a quick search but couldn't find a manufacturer's website for them... Anyone have it? I was curious if there was an option to choose my own colors? Hoping for a black/dark-red combo.

Thanks for the in-depth review... I was looking at some of the other cases out there, but I can't possibly justify $6-800 for a case; although if I win the lottery, I wouldn't have a problem with that. heh

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I did a quick search but couldn't find a manufacturer's website for them... Anyone have it? I was curious if there was an option to choose my own colors? Hoping for a black/dark-red combo.

Thanks for the in-depth review... I was looking at some of the other cases out there, but I can't possibly justify $6-800 for a case; although if I win the lottery, I wouldn't have a problem with that. heh

www.cuesight.com is basically Sterling Gaming's retail web site, and the cases can be ordered there. If you contact John Barton on here (JB Cases), he can likely have one made up in the color option you requested.

Lisa

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The interior looks great. What about the hardness of the exterior of the case?

If I bump into a table holding the case, is there a hard shell exterior that will take the impact?