Steve Klapp's SUPER Wood!

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't wait to get mine! Should be here in a couple of weeks. Steve is a pleasure to talk to and deal with. Super guy!

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Ordered mine today, I cant wait til it's here on my Pechauer. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!!! Could not be more happy with Steve's customer service, he has been a pleasure to deal with.

SpeedyPete84

9 Ball Choke Artist
Silver Member
I ordered one from him based on all the positive feedback on AZ. Have to be honest though -- not thrilled. The wood is great, no doubt, but I can't say I'm especially pleased with the final product. Tip popped off within first two hours of play and taper was not what I asked for at all (and I was pretty clear). Took it in to have new tip installed and discovered had a slight wobble on the lathe and ferrule was not quite straight (looked slightly hourglass shaped, but not that extreme). I've since had the ferrule repaired at my own expense (locally) and the shaft is still playable with the slight wobble.

To be clear, I like the feel of the shaft reasonably well and the wood is the best looking I've seen. But given the initial quality issues previously mentioned, I don't know that I would buy another. I'm hoping this is just a one-off type problem and that my experience is isolated. My interaction with Steve was strictly through email, so I cannot really comment on his demeanor, but he was courteous and professional in his messages to me. I have yet to contact him regarding the aforementioned issues and am debating whether it would even be worth it to bother.

In terms of deflection, it is about on par with a McDermott G-core shaft, but not nearly as whippy feeling (despite having a very similar taper). My OB2 shaft is significantly lower deflection, as would be expected.

That's my two cents -- take it for what it's worth. From all accounts, Steve is a great guy and I don't mean this post to be disparaging. I just wanted to give a brief accounting of my experience as it pertained to the thread.

EDIT: Now, after having the ferrule cleaned up and having a new tip installed, I'm enjoying the shaft. I've gotten used to the taper over the last couple months and it's actually become my primary playing shaft. I'm actually in the process of trying to get these shafts for my other cue. Looks like my initial impression was wrong and I stand corrected. Steve, if you're reading this, I apologize. Your shafts really are top notch.

Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I would let Steve know, from my personal limited conversations with him I would imagine he would want the feedback. He has been very free with his time discussing his cues and shafts with me. I have read every review I could find on his shafts and knowing that it is a lot easier to post a complaint than a compliment I am surprised I did not see one complaint. Regardless, I am sure everyone will appreciate your input SpeedyPete84 as it may save someone the trouble in the future if there is an issue that can be addressed. Hopefully as you said it is just a one off type problem. Once I get mine I will leave a review also after I have a chance to give it a go.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would let Steve know, from my personal limited conversations with him I would imagine he would want the feedback. He has been very free with his time discussing his cues and shafts with me. I have read every review I could find on his shafts and knowing that it is a lot easier to post a complaint than a compliment I am surprised I did not see one complaint. Regardless, I am sure everyone will appreciate your input SpeedyPete84 as it may save someone the trouble in the future if there is an issue that can be addressed. Hopefully as you said it is just a one off type problem. Once I get mine I will leave a review also after I have a chance to give it a go.

Actually,I kinda disagree with you.On this site I think its harder to post
a complaint then a compliment.Depends who its against, can get you many
keyboard crusaders,lambasting you for doing so.Not saying this will happen
but wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

nucues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered one from him based on all the positive feedback on AZ. Have to be honest though -- not thrilled. The wood is great, no doubt, but I can't say I'm especially pleased with the final product. Tip popped off within first two hours of play and taper was not what I asked for at all (and I was pretty clear). Took it in to have new tip installed and discovered had a slight wobble on the lathe and ferrule was not quite straight (looked slightly hourglass shaped, but not that extreme). I've since had the ferrule repaired at my own expense (locally) and the shaft is still playable with the slight wobble.

To be clear, I like the feel of the shaft reasonably well and the wood is the best looking I've seen. But given the initial quality issues previously mentioned, I don't know that I would buy another. I'm hoping this is just a one-off type problem and that my experience is isolated. My interaction with Steve was strictly through email, so I cannot really comment on his demeanor, but he was courteous and professional in his messages to me. I have yet to contact him regarding the aforementioned issues and am debating whether it would even be worth it to bother.

In terms of deflection, it is about on par with a McDermott G-core shaft, but not nearly as whippy feeling (despite having a very similar taper). My OB2 shaft is significantly lower deflection, as would be expected.

That's my two cents -- take it for what it's worth. From all accounts, Steve is a great guy and I don't mean this post to be disparaging. I just wanted to give a brief accounting of my experience as it pertained to the thread.

What can I do to rectify this for you. Steve

SpeedyPete84

9 Ball Choke Artist
Silver Member
What can I do to rectify this for you. Steve
Steve,

I was actually just getting ready to email you about this. Thanks for being a stand-up guy and asking about it proactively. I think that really reinforces the good things people have said about your customer service.

I was thinking perhaps I could send it back to you and have you see what can be done. The things that seem problematic aren't major, so I wouldn't want you to remake it unless that were absolutely the only way to fix it. It'd be a shame to waste the material and the time that went into it. I'll send you a PM with what I'm noticing, specifically, if that's ok -- either that or I can give you a call, whichever you'd rather.

As far as the taper, it wasn't really what I asked for, but I'm finding that I'm adjusting well to it, so that's really a non-issue at this point. I was initially disappointed, but am liking it now.

I'm sure we can get this figured out. Thanks again.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Steve is a great guy and cue maker, he's stood behind his work from day one.
His phone number is posted in several sections/areas on this site where it's viewable to everyone, if I was you and had questions or concerns about the cue or any part of the cue you should of called Steve to bring these issues up and have him take care of it or ask his opinion what's to be done to address the issue. Not sure altering a shaft from original shape/cuts/taper before contacting him about the issue would of been the best take in my opinion before hanging out any dirty laundry.
I'm not throwing stones or saying your flaming his work but there are a few steps of best interest that you skipped that would of taken care of the conserns from the initial start.
There is no doubt that Steve's old growth shafts play like a dream.
Hope the best for both the customer and the cue maker in the outcome of this issue.

Rob.M

oscar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have to shaft from steve one for his cue with his taper it hits great and he made one to my specs for my bludworth and it also turned out great and hits great

SpeedyPete84

9 Ball Choke Artist
Silver Member
Steve is a great guy and cue maker, he's stood behind his work from day one.
His phone number is posted in several sections/areas on this site where it's viewable to everyone, if I was you and had questions or concerns about the cue or any part of the cue you should of called Steve to bring these issues up and have him take care of it or ask his opinion what's to be done to address the issue. Not sure altering a shaft from original shape/cuts/taper before contacting him about the issue would of been the best take in my opinion before hanging out any dirty laundry.
I'm not throwing stones or saying your flaming his work but there are a few steps of best interest that you skipped that would of taken care of the conserns from the initial start.
There is no doubt that Steve's old growth shafts play like a dream.
Hope the best for both the customer and the cue maker in the outcome of this issue.

Rob.M
In hindsight, I agree that I should have taken other steps first. My mistake, and for that I sincerely apologize to Steve. I tried to be clear and objectively talk about the few, small objections I had. I wasn't trying to throw mud or anything like that and was hoping not to give that impression.

And, true to his sterling reputation, Steve has kindly offered to make me another shaft. I don't know many people in any industry who stand behind their products like that! I'm impressed! That was far beyond what I had expected.

That being said, I stand corrected; I would gladly buy again ANY TIME from someone who backs their work so thoroughly.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
SpeedyPete84, I just want to put out there I did not think you were putting anyone on blast. I was just hoping to reiterate from my experience that I believed Steve would take care of you. I personally appreciate everybody who gives feedback on their personal experience. Also, scsuxci you are right. I personally just meant in general, people tend to make sure everyone knows about their bad experiences a lot more frequently than their good ones. THx

Last edited:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I just received a cue that Steve finished up for me. Mark Bear was making me a cue when he died, and Steve just finished it up and included one of his shafts along with one of Mark's. I got it last week. I just played it yesterday for the first time, and will post pics and review this coming week in the gallery.

The fit and finish is perfect. The shafts were perfect. The cue and both shafts play great and do everything I want them to do. Steve was in touch throughout the whole process, clearly doing his best to give me what I wanted and that's exactly what he delivered...what I wanted. Good communication takes both parties being involved for the best outcomes, and Steve is a great communicator. He also is willing to bend over backwards to please his customers, as he did me, and will do for you too.

oscar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just got my second cue from Steve it looks great and shoots great thanks again steve my bludworth cues are now foresale never thought i would sell them

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Got my Klapp OG shat last week and I can definitely say I am very pleased. I love how it plays and it breaks like a monster. Pretty safe bet I will be ordering another, if not a whole cue. Thanks Steve. I'm really looking forward to your new butterfly cues coming out in the near future.

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Klapp is coming to new york city this weekend to visit myself and my girlfriend Emily Duddy whom he sponsors. he is bringing what will be my 7th cue from him......his cues are grossly underrated for the extreme quality of play they produce. if anybody is interested in one of Steves cues visit his website at
www.klappcustomcues.com his contact info is on the website