stick opinion

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope the photos are good. What is this stick?

Attachments

• DSC03108[1].jpg
    DSC03108[1].jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 681
  • DSC03110[1].jpg
    DSC03110[1].jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 679
  • DSC03116[1].jpg
    DSC03116[1].jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC03111[1].jpg
    DSC03111[1].jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 675
  • DSC03113[1].jpg
    DSC03113[1].jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 682

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Teach me why you say so quickly so I don't keep offering up crap. The stick is 56.5 inches and weighs

17oz.. 4 points with 4 veneers-from the outside in they are blue,yellow,red, green. full splice --actually may
be two full splices as the lighter broader part of the points is one piece. The bumper shows that the stick has
had long use.All rings and veneers are smooth as is the joint. Why is it so easy to put it down? This is a nice cue.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Teach me why you say so quickly so I don't keep offering up crap. The stick is 56.5 inches and weighs

17oz.. 4 points with 4 veneers-from the outside in they are blue,yellow,red, green. full splice --actually may
be two full splices as the lighter broader part of the points is one piece. The bumper shows that the stick has
had long use.All rings and veneers are smooth as is the joint. Why is it so easy to put it down? This is a nice cue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why is it so easy to put it down? This is a nice cue."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, no, it isn't.

It may be a well made blank... but "fix" and the Doc know exactly what
they are talking about.

The joint is the quick tip off.

FWIW - if you really want to increase your knowledge base for cues,
try doing a search for old "ID-this-cue" threads.

Or just look at 'all posts' by Chopdoc.

HTH
Dale

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
don't believe them

That is a early Szamboti for sure. You will start to get PM's to take it
off your hands from the same guys that said it was a cheap import.
Don't let it go for under 5 figures.
jack

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a nice cue.

Shoot with it. If you like it, then that's all that matters.

As far as how it is identified so quickly, the joint type is the first most obvious thing.

That joint type has only been used on inexpensive cues.

The shaft wood is pretty poor. It may even be ramin wood instead of maple but I need a better pic to tell for sure. Ramin was commonly used in inexpensive cues but is now itself endangered in fact.

The ring type and materials is also common in this type of cue.

The splice type and veneers, also common in this type of cue.

You mention the bumper. Bumpers and screws like that were commonly used on inexpensive imports. Better cues usually use machine screws, bolts, with socket heads. Many antique cues and/or house cues used common wood screws.

There are a very great many inexpensive imports that were made with real splices, real veneers, real inlays. It is a mistake to think that such cues did not include such features. I have seen a few "converted" with an upgraded joint and shaft etc.

Some cues like this were branded by Brunswick, can be very fancy, and can attract some higher pricing. Lately they have been selling for over $200 on Ebay, only because they are Brunswick branded. I am not sure why except to say that some see them and figure they are better because they are Brunswick branded, but they are really just inexpensive imports. If yours had a brunswick badge on it you could throw it on Ebay and get something for it.

Even without the Brunswick branding some will attract some money on Ebay occasionally. Like in the $100 to $200 range. I think these are "Ebay collectors". People that don't really know anything about cues and they seem to create their own market for such cues.

I promise it is for sure what people here have said it is. It will hit balls, but just about any bottom end sneaky pete will be better, and any bottom end merry widow from McDermott, Viking, Schmelke, etc will be better. Even many very inexpensive imports will be better, like an Action brand cue or something.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very low quality, dead giveaway is the pin in the shaft

To be fair, there are some very good old cues with the pin in the shaft.

Spain did that. And obviously his cues are worth a lot.

Many old Brunswick cues as well as Rieper, Katz, and numerous others had the pin in the shaft.

Obviously, this isn't one of them.

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stick

I have a stick almost identical to yours, same pin and inlays except for the dots. Twenty years ago my uncle found it at a garage sale for like $5 bucks and bought it for me. The kicker was there was an old note attached to it stating Minnesota Fats used it to fleece Earl "The Weasel" Coates out of a lot of money long ago. This stick wouldn't make good firewood, a real POS. It's gotta be worth thousands, right..... LOL! OK guys, place your bids now!!!!:D

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not quite accurate Doc. For the most part, you're correct. That said, Eddie Laube made all of his cues with his patented implex joint, with the screw in the shaft. They were fantastic playing cues, and Eddie said that they were so finely machined that any shaft he ever made would match up perfectly with any butt he ever made. I had one of his early cues for many years...terrific playing cue...just too heavy for me. The cue in this thread is a cheap Asian import.

EDIT: I see that you mentioned Spain and a couple of others, but forgot to include Eddie Laube!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

As far as how it is identified so quickly, the joint type is the first most obvious thing.

That joint type has only been used on inexpensive cues.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not quite accurate Doc. For the most part, you're correct. That said, Eddie Laube made all of his cues with his patented implex joint, with the screw in the shaft. They were fantastic playing cues, and Eddie said that they were so finely machined that any shaft he ever made would match up perfectly with any butt he ever made. I had one of his early cues for many years...terrific playing cue...just too heavy for me. The cue in this thread is a cheap Asian import.

EDIT: I see that you mentioned Spain and a couple of others, but forgot to include Eddie Laube!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Yes, my list was not intended to be complete. I only wished to point out that there were and are good pin in shaft cues.

Whenever this issue comes up I am quick to point out Spain because more will immediately recognize his name...such as those that are not collectors.

Laube made great cues. I would love to have one in my collection.

The reality is, as far as function, that whether the pin is in the butt or shaft is really incidental IMHO.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robinson joint as well. Very nice and well engineered pin in shaft joint. Doc did a nice job of explaining the spot. Seems allot of these Ramin shafted cues with veneers from Taiwan are being offered as 'Mystery Custom Cues' to the un-knowledgeable novice's on the Bay.

-Kat,

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard that Burton Spain used to do the same thing when he went around trying to sell his blanks, and many purchased them because of it. Wanted to show how strong his splices were.