stolen cue and case

Kathy Keegan

Registered
I had a black J Flowers case, with the name Kathy Keegan tooled in white, along with the usual tooling. I also had a personalized cue, with my name inset in the butt. The cue was very simple, rosewood and tiger wood, no points, just my name on one side of the bottom of the butt below the wrap and the makers name opposite on the butt. I would really like to get it back. The case was a Christmas gift from Jay and T R McIntosh one year from when I worked for TR. The cue was custom made for me by the maker, who actually had me work on the initial turns while he was making it.
My daughter saw a spider sitting on it during the time I was hospitalized several years ago and stuck it into the utility room. She has a horror of spiders. Some folks go bananas about some things, her phobia is spiders.
If anyone sees this case in S Florida somewhere, please tell the person that it is stolen property and the owner wants it back. I am in Tampa. TR would be able to contact me if you do not find me here.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Hope you at least contact the local, big pawn shops. Will help to have a picture, too. Will keep my eyes peeled up here in TN.

Kathy Keegan

Registered
There was a rumor that it was seen in the Brooksville, Fl area. I am not sure if that was true. The cue is about 20 oz. 13 mm tip. It was mostly a gift, too. I know I did not pay full price. The maker worked with Wayne Gunn and later took over his shop when Wayne moved from Bakers Billiards to his own shop. He did not make many cues, his real love was designing and building custom furniture. I did some of the work on it myself. They taught me how to turn a shaft on a lathe, etc. Wayne is a good friend, too. Jay and his wife were
also good friends. Jay even brought Ewa Mataya into Bakers once to practice with me, but I had a Drs appointment that afternoon and could not stay to play.
I was disabled for a while, because of being on anti seizure meds. I would like to get back to playing, but it is not the same without my cue. Most bar cues seem to be shaped like the figure S.:rolleyes:

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I wish you luck getting your cue and case back and since they both had your name on them that limits what the thief can do with them. I feel bad for you and I can certainly sympathize with you since my GMC truck was stolen while I was playing in my 9 ball league on a Monday night. I came out to go home and my truck was gone and believe me I got zero help from the police. It's like I never owned the truck and all the money I spent fixing it up was lost. I hope your situation turns out better than what happened to me.

James

Kathy Keegan

Registered
Oh well, it was worth a try.
I guess I have to dig up another one. I guess I cannot blame whoever wound up with it. It was the best playing cue I ever touched. The guy made a masterpiece.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Wayne passed away July 19 of this year, not sure you were aware of the Kathy.
Was it Larry "Larue" Haymes that you were working on the cue with at the old shop in Bakers?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish you luck getting your cue and case back and since they both had your name on them that limits what the thief can do with them. I feel bad for you and I can certainly sympathize with you since my GMC truck was stolen while I was playing in my 9 ball league on a Monday night. I came out to go home and my truck was gone and believe me I got zero help from the police. It's like I never owned the truck and all the money I spent fixing it up was lost. I hope your situation turns out better than what happened to me.

James

Wow James! That really sucks. Good luck getting g your truck back...and best of luck To Kathy in getting her cue back.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They ought to do the same thing they did with horse theives in the old West.

Hang em.

Let them swing for a few days.

Ken

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This scenario has to be every pool players nightmare. It is there one minute and gone the next. I was in a small club the other day and carried my cue & case into the men's room. A guy in there (not a pool player) gave me a sideways funny kind of look. So I told him it's got my wallet, keys, money and cues wouldn't you carry it into the men's room to? He agreed saying," never occurred to me".. What he didn't know was the cue inside was a very nice Cognoscenti! Be ultra careful and CYA, it's a nasty world full of creeps ready to steal everything you have at a moments notice. Hope the OP gets her cues back, you never know!!!

Kathy Keegan

Registered
No, I did not know he had passed. I will miss him.
It was Larue that I got the cue from, yes. I did help turn the wood in the early stages. From what I understand, he went back to his first love, custom furniture. Larry is a nice guy. I used to do tip repair for a number of bars and in pool rooms for a number of years. I would show up at a bar and get mobbed to put tips on. I had a regular circuit for a while. I took my kit with me to tournaments, too. I believe the Glove was the one who talked me into doing tips for other people, when he saw me doing my own one night. Glove and Steve Cook were room mates for several years. Both were good friends.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Larry was a great guy, he made me a cue in 1991, Cocobolo with real Ivory points, I still have it, he learned from Ricco, we have been lucky here in Tampa to have some great cue makers, Tillis, Ricco, Gunn, Larue and now Wayne Ball over in the old shop at Robertsons. Jay made me a case in 1987, and made it in Blue to match my Palmer,
click on the Cue Gallery Link, all my stuff is there.

Last edited:

Player Rick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a cue stolen a few years ago. It was a Schon that I owned and shot with for over 14 years. I had left it in my car and thieves were hitting any unlocked car for whatever they could find. I doubted it would make a difference but I reported it anyway. Good thing I did, about a month later I got a call from a detective who said he had a cue he thought was mine. I described it over the phone, and was able to retrieve my cue. Sometimes the system works, it did for me. He said there were a lot of items that they had that were never reported. Phones, cameras, etc. Do report it, just in case, and look around at pawn shops, craigslist, and ebay. Good Luck.