Str8Shots Has Not Paid for CO State 8-Ball Championships

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Your money is good enough to take.

What happens to your money after that is a problem?

What if tournament costs go over? That is your problem not the promoters.

If its a accounting issue than delayed payment is better than no payment. Just wait it out.

Prize money can't just be cash in and cash out. People work to run a tournament and they need to address their issues first.

Obviously not a successful business executive or student of business management.

Never take your business's mistakes out on your customer.

J

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Your money is good enough to take.

What happens to your money after that is a problem?

What if tournament costs go over? That is your problem not the promoters.

If its a accounting issue than delayed payment is better than no payment. Just wait it out.

Prize money can't just be cash in and cash out. People work to run a tournament and they need to address their issues first.

I've played in over one hundred Joss Northeast events over the years. Never once did Mike Zuglan fail to pay the players (or auction winners) before leaving the event. Allen Hopkins is another shining example. There are TD's and promoters who do the job correctly. Guess the old axiom of "if it appears to be too good to be true, it probably isn't"!

Lyn

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I've played in over one hundred Joss Northeast events over the years. Never once did Mike Zuglan fail to pay the players (or auction winners) before leaving the event. Allen Hopkins is another shining example. There are TD's and promoters who do the job correctly. Guess the old axiom of "if it appears to be too good to be true, it probably isn't"!

Lyn

What is different about the State 8-ball is that the margin of business between prize payouts and profits. Its a tight margin meaning if one thing goes wrong, complaints happen. But if things go right, everyone is happy.

Its not some Dragon Promotion type business where Charlie Williams is basically losing money to keep his tournament afloat.

The CO state has to keep costs down because no one is backing them the way CW can afford to burn money.

So what if the money for prizes is in the same bag as money for paying off equipment rentals. It just means whoever collects first gets paid first. If there isn't enough to go around, well this isn't a insured investment.

Pool tournaments are risky if you have issues with it, then don't play.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the money and a purse were stolen, was there a police report filed? If so then be transparent about it, offer the police report for the players to see.

If the police wasn't contacted - why not??

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
What is different about the State 8-ball is that the margin of business between prize payouts and profits. Its a tight margin meaning if one thing goes wrong, complaints happen. But if things go right, everyone is happy.

Its not some Dragon Promotion type business where Charlie Williams is basically losing money to keep his tournament afloat.

The CO state has to keep costs down because no one is backing them the way CW can afford to burn money.

So what if the money for prizes is in the same bag as money for paying off equipment rentals. It just means whoever collects first gets paid first. If there isn't enough to go around, well this isn't a insured investment.

Yeah I think you should probably stop posting about this, because everything you're saying is completely and utterly stupid.

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member

Yeah, that's a whole lot of ignorant right there.

justnum

Silver Member
Yeah, that's a whole lot of ignorant right there.

A less ignorant statement would be is anyone willing and able to take over the pool tournament scene in CO.

Any pool promoters think about franchising?

I'd pay to operate under Dragon Promotions.

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Shit I will if I can be expected to pocket...

A less ignorant statement would be is anyone willing and able to take over the pool tournament scene in CO.

I will take it over if I can be expected to just keep 1st-4th prize money...'(I am NOT saying that this is what Str8Shots did!!!!, I am solely referencing Justnum stating that it is part of playing...)

What kind of stupid is that other statement you made...

Yeah, just expect to not get paid if you get fifth or better or don't play....lmfao...

Jaden

Last edited:

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member

I'd pay to operate under Dragon Promotions.

This thread isn't about "taking over the tournament scene" in Colorado. The guy got stiffed money because the owners of Str8Shots didn't pay out -- they lost the tournament funds due to their own negligence. It's not his fault, so he's due his winnings. I can't even begin to fathom how inside your head you believe it's perfectly to roll up in here and act all high and mighty about "It's your fault. If you have a problem with that possibly happening, don't play."

Get real, dude. And you're not even remotely close to correct about how Charlie is losing money with DP. Please, just stop while you're behind.

justnum

Silver Member
This thread isn't about "taking over the tournament scene" in Colorado. The guy got stiffed money because the owners of Str8Shots didn't pay out -- they lost the tournament funds due to their own negligence. It's not his fault, so he's due his winnings. I can't even begin to fathom how inside your head you believe it's perfectly to roll up in here and act all high and mighty about "It's your fault. If you have a problem with that possibly happening, don't play."

Get real, dude. And you're not even remotely close to correct about how Charlie is losing money with DP. Please, just stop while you're behind.

Being owed winnings and a company not being able to pay the winnings are issues at the heart of the matter.

Companies go bankrupt and leave their debts unpaid. How is this any different? Because you think some guy can just borrow money from his credit card.

That guy who runs it is depending on how his business is registered is not fiscally liable, sometimes.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

This comment gives me the impression if you paid a $150.00 tournament entry fee and several hundred dollars more on accommodations, fuel, food, and maybe even 1 or 2 days of lost wages from time off of work that you would not complain or even be surprised for that matter if you did not get paid the $2000.00 winners share if you had entered and won a similar tournament. You would just simply sum it up by saying "yeah, pool tournaments are sketchy, this kind of stuff happens when you live life on the edge and partake in this kind of risky behavior".

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
Being owed winnings and a company not being able to pay the winnings are issues at the heart of the matter.

Companies go bankrupt and leave their debts unpaid. How is this any different? Because you think some guy can just borrow money from his credit card.

That guy who runs it is depending on how his business is registered is not fiscally liable, sometimes.

facepalm.jpg

justnum

Silver Member
This comment gives me the impression if you paid a $150.00 tournament entry fee and several hundred dollars more on accommodations, fuel, food, and maybe even 1 or 2 days of lost wages from time off of work that you would not complain or even be surprised for that matter if you did not get paid the $2000.00 winners share if you had entered and won a similar tournament. You would just simply sum it up by saying "yeah, pool tournaments are sketchy, this kind of stuff happens when you live life on the edge and partake in this kind of risky behavior".

When you live through something worse than just losing a day or twos worth, try more like a half a years salary. Then you let me know.

Getting worked up over a few dollars. It happens but so do people that do bad business.

If you think this is a case that can be saved, that is where our attitudes differ.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you think for one minute Charlie is burning his own money to run a tournament, you need to go get a mental exam immediately.

asianevil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you justifying business embezzlement?

justnum

Silver Member
Are you justifying business embezzlement?

I am not acting like it doesn't happen.

Not everyone can be great business people.

Even if you are great at business it doesn't mean people you hire won't cheat you.

Lastly when a business fails for whatever reason, customers suffer. In this case the OP.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
If I were in possession of a few thousand, that wasn't mine, the first thing I would do is leave it laying around.
Maybe put it on the light with a sign {Take ME }:scratchhead:

asianevil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not acting like it doesn't happen.

Not everyone can be great business people.

Even if you are great at business it doesn't mean people you hire won't cheat you.

Lastly when a business fails for whatever reason, customers suffer. In this case the OP.

I don't understand your stance on this... if all businesses can be cheated or embezzled, large, small, great, or failing then don't do business with ANYONE for the fear of not being paid....? Your stance is justifying embezzlement.

I think this discussion is about getting the OP paid for his winnings which was advertised and promised. OP should be paid out regardless of any losses. The company has an obligation to pay all debts if the company wishes to continue, which I believe it has. That is a business model, this is plain thievery. And there is always bankruptcy...

OP is calling out STR8SHOTS for not paying out winnings, are you saying that is OK for STR8SHOTS not to pay because their business model is not profitable? Have you read the OP's full post that no communication has taken place? OP is asking for communication on why no payment has taken place.

OP is taking this to a forum before taking STR8SHOTS to small claims, which he/she should have a long time ago.

justnum

Silver Member
I don't understand your stance on this... if all businesses can be cheated or embezzled, large, small, great, or failing then don't do business with ANYONE for the fear of not being paid....? Your stance is justifying embezzlement.

I think this discussion is about getting the OP paid for his winnings which was advertised and promised. OP should be paid out regardless of any losses. The company has an obligation to pay all debts if the company wishes to continue, which I believe it has. That is a business model, this is plain thievery. And there is always bankruptcy...

OP is calling out STR8SHOTS for not paying out winnings, are you saying that is OK for STR8SHOTS not to pay because their business model is not profitable? Have you read the OP's full post that no communication has taken place? OP is asking for communication on why no payment has taken place.

OP is taking this to a forum before taking STR8SHOTS to small claims, which he/she should have a long time ago.

I am just saying don't get your hopes up because your on the forum.

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
The thing you are all forgetting or simply did not know is that Str8 Shots advertised themselves as a non-profit business, so this whole thing about their business model not making them money doesn't really fit into the whole situation. The plain and simple facts are this. They are still paying out money to pros like John Schmidt, I copy and pasted one of his recent Facebook posts thanking Str8 Shots for sponsoring him, that money should be going to people like the OP who is owed money. When they had the Colorado state tournament, they either had the money and treated it with extreme wreckless abandon or they didn't have it and were just lying to people the whole time.

Something I posted on another thread about this is the fact that the money just "HAPPENED" to be left where the cameras just "HAPPENED" to not be working that day/night even though I have heard there is footage from those cameras up until shortly before it supposedly happened. How can this be explained? How can thousands of dollars go missing, right after cameras supposedly stop working, and they want people to believe it happened right before it was time to pay up 4th place? Sounds like Lottery high odds to me.

Another thing is the back and forth story about when the money was "stolen". I have heard completely different stories from people there AND from Str8 Shots about how the money was stolen way early in the day but they didn't announce it until it was time to pay, to, they discovered the money was stolen when it was time to pay up to 4th place. Now, the first one seems more likely because, how can you not notice that 4 envelopes of hundreds of dollars are missing out of your purse? Especially when you are taking out other envelopes to pay the lower finishers...Seems a bit fishy to me...