Strickland vs. Vandenberg

rogelioii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
anyone know what earl and nick were yapping about after their match? I know earl was apologizing for something.. I couldn't hear it very well from the live audio

NaClBandit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing Earl pulled a "Zidane" on Nick's cornerman.

Attachments

• vs_zidane_headbutt_ap_abc_210.jpg
    vs_zidane_headbutt_ap_abc_210.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,172

pinkisntwell

Ball Misser
Silver Member
All I can say is that Earl is an asshole. He didn't stap yapping through the match, and in the end told Van Den Berg that his "people clap like fools" and that "you don't see any fools on my corner."

And something else, did he miss a shot and complained that he missed because he was jacked up because the rails were too high? FFS!

BigMalUK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if this is true but I read this:

Den Berg dragged Strickland back after a disrespectful handshake
Strickland said "You can't do that to me!"

Van Den Berg said "You shake my hand, you look me in the eye!"

Kev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BigMalUK said:
I'm not sure if this is true but I read this:

Den Berg dragged Strickland back after a disrespectful handshake
Strickland said "You can't do that to me!"

Van Den Berg said "You shake my hand, you look me in the eye!"

Yep that's true, I heard the same thing on Eurosport.

BigMalUK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NYC cue dude said:
Just curious, where did you read this. I was listening live on the eurosport broadcast and heard the same thing.

It was posted on a UK board. I was watching but couldn't make it out at the time.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How wonderful it is to read all of the pool smut here on the forum. I'm here in Vegas and didn't know about this happening, if it wasn't for the Internet.

When I get downstairs, I'll try to get the scoop right from the horse's mouth. Earl is in great spirits when I have seen him, and it would be interesting to hear his point of view.

JAM

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its Great To See Earl Doing Better Than Most Of The Earl Hate Mongers Can Handle. He Dont Have To Take Any Shit And His World Titles Say's It All,most Of These Other Chumps Are Lucky If They Ever Win One World Title.go Ahead And Start Floating All The Rumors About His Talking,i've Seen Earl Play Many Times And 80% Of The Time He's Right,taking A Time Out To Smoke A Cig,wiping Down A Cue For 5 Minutes After Every Shot,talking While He Shoot's.these Players @#ck With Him All The Time,but Thats Ok,
Go Earl!!!:d

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
This is a c&p from the IPT Press Box web page...

Strickland Goes off the Air - Sally P. Timco

In his match with Nick Van den Berg, Earl Strickland appeared to have difficulties keeping his head on straight, though he won hill-hill. Several games into the match, Van den Berg’s family was whispering amongst themselves when Strickland turned around and asked them to “shut up” because he was about to shoot. This didn’t seem to score points with the audience, and when one member glared at Strickland, he warned, “Don’t you give me that sour look.”

Things deteriorated from there, with Strickland shouting at several audience members. He won the match and tried to give Van den Berg a half-hearted handshake, but Van den Berg grabbed his hand firmly when Strickland tried to pull away.

“He got under my skin, Strickland, because he was talking to my family and saying stupid stuff,” Van den Berg affirmed afterward, “and he even tried to start a fight with my brother-in-law. Those are things you can’t do. It’s nice to see someone who is entertaining like Mike Sigel but this was just … a disgrace to the sport. That’s all I can say.”

Strickland seemed anxious to share his side after the match. “There was a little controversy—his gurus were talking while I was trying to shoot a shot, so I thought I had the opportunity to get on him. They leave themselves open like that, I’m gonna trash them like they trash me. I don’t have anybody protecting me, so I better protect myself from these people. Until you got people protecting me, I won’t stop trashing people for running their mouth. I’m sick of it. I know I’m a terrible person but you still have to show me some kind of respect. If it would have been another fan I would not have gotten on them, but it was his gurus. If they are gonna run their mouth, they are gonna get trashed."

Regarding the match itself, Strickland commented, “Well, it was a comedy of errors, really. From me and a few from him. The tables are tightening up, and he cant make as many balls on the break … things are changing. He didn't make anything on the break seven-seven, and I ran out."

As far as advancing to tomorrow, Strickland said, “I got a tough group—it’s as simple as that. Hohmann played really well and my board is very difficult. I’ll have to play good to get out of this.”
Visit the IPT for the latest news on their North American Open 8-Ball Championship.

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cigardave said:
This is a c&p from the IPT Press Box web page...

Strickland Goes off the Air - Sally P. Timco

In his match with Nick Van den Berg, Earl Strickland appeared to have difficulties keeping his head on straight, though he won hill-hill. Several games into the match, Van den Berg’s family was whispering amongst themselves when Strickland turned around and asked them to “shut up” because he was about to shoot. This didn’t seem to score points with the audience, and when one member glared at Strickland, he warned, “Don’t you give me that sour look.”

Things deteriorated from there, with Strickland shouting at several audience members. He won the match and tried to give Van den Berg a half-hearted handshake, but Van den Berg grabbed his hand firmly when Strickland tried to pull away.

“He got under my skin, Strickland, because he was talking to my family and saying stupid stuff,” Van den Berg affirmed afterward, “and he even tried to start a fight with my brother-in-law. Those are things you can’t do. It’s nice to see someone who is entertaining like Mike Sigel but this was just … a disgrace to the sport. That’s all I can say.”

Strickland seemed anxious to share his side after the match. “There was a little controversy—his gurus were talking while I was trying to shoot a shot, so I thought I had the opportunity to get on him. They leave themselves open like that, I’m gonna trash them like they trash me. I don’t have anybody protecting me, so I better protect myself from these people. Until you got people protecting me, I won’t stop trashing people for running their mouth. I’m sick of it. I know I’m a terrible person but you still have to show me some kind of respect. If it would have been another fan I would not have gotten on them, but it was his gurus. If they are gonna run their mouth, they are gonna get trashed."

Regarding the match itself, Strickland commented, “Well, it was a comedy of errors, really. From me and a few from him. The tables are tightening up, and he cant make as many balls on the break … things are changing. He didn't make anything on the break seven-seven, and I ran out."

As far as advancing to tomorrow, Strickland said, “I got a tough group—it’s as simple as that. Hohmann played really well and my board is very difficult. I’ll have to play good to get out of this.”
Visit the IPT for the latest news on their North American Open 8-Ball Championship.

RIGHT,WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO SIT THERE WHILE VB MOMMY AND DADDY ARE TRYING TO SHARK HIM,WHISPERING LOUD ENOUGH FOR EARL TO HEAR WHILE HE SHOOT,BET THEY WERE SILENT WHEN SONNY BOY WAS ON THE TABLE.

BigMalUK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuedoctor said:
Its Great To See Earl Doing Better Than Most Of The Earl Hate Mongers Can Handle. He Dont Have To Take Any Shit And His World Titles Say's It All,most Of These Other Chumps Are Lucky If They Ever Win One World Title.go Ahead And Start Floating All The Rumors About His Talking,i've Seen Earl Play Many Times And 80% Of The Time He's Right,taking A Time Out To Smoke A Cig,wiping Down A Cue For 5 Minutes After Every Shot,talking While He Shoot's.these Players @#ck With Him All The Time,but Thats Ok,
Go Earl!!!:d

Nobody is denying he is a great player but do you think he should be allowed to disrespect opponents? There's no rumor here - lots of people heard and saw it clearly. Van Den Berg did not f*** with Earl, quite the opposite in fact. I hope Earl continues to play well - I love to watch him play and I admire his ability, I just think they guy does not understand the concept of grace in victory or defeat. He disrespected Hundal's famliy at t
the Mosconi Cup and now has mouthed off in a similar vein to Van Den Berg. The world is watching this and Strickland is coming across really badly I can tell you.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuedoctor said:
RIGHT,WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO SIT THERE WHILE VB MOMMY AND DADDY ARE TRYING TO SHARK HIM,WHISPERING LOUD ENOUGH FOR EARL TO HEAR WHILE HE SHOOT,BET THEY WERE SILENT WHEN SONNY BOY WAS ON THE TABLE.

Thought I wasn't there, I seriously doubt that Nick's family was intentionally trying to shark Earl.

Sometimes players are sharked by the strangest thing, a foot movement, a Twinkie wrapper, and slurp of a soda. LOL

I could write a book on 100 of the most favorite excuses exclaimed by pool players on why they didn't win.

In Earl's defense, I think he's so intensely focused when he's competing, especially for this kind of dough, that he may hear and/or see things within the audience that seem directed at him in the form of a shark.

AND sometimes he's right. Everyone loves to poke at Earl Strickland to see him react. After all, if he didn't react one way or the other, then he wouldn't be Earl now, would he?!:D

JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Go Earl Strickland!

JAM [always rooting for the home team]:p

GO EARL!
At this juncture, my American fingers type:

USA, all the way! USA, all the way!

My second pick, though, to win, if it can't be an American, would be my man, Sandor Tot!:p

JAM

BigMalUK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Thought I wasn't there, I seriously doubt that Nick's family was intentionally trying to shark Earl.

Sometimes players are sharked by the strangest thing, a foot movement, a Twinkie wrapper, and slurp of a soda. LOL

I could write a book on 100 of the most favorite excuses exclaimed by pool players on why they didn't win.

In Earl's defense, I think he's so intensely focused when he's competing, especially for this kind of dough, that he may hear and/or see things within the audience that seem directed at him in the form of a shark.

AND sometimes he's right. Everyone loves to poke at Earl Strickland to see him react. After all, if he didn't react one way or the other, then he wouldn't be Earl now, would he?!:D

JAM

I agree with that. When he plays in the UK, the crowd know they can get a reaction from Earl so one idiot might try to rattle his cage and Earl will fly off the handle. I was sitting in the audience watching him one time and a guy behind us whispered something totally innocent to his wife beside him and Earl turned at the guy and called him an 'idiot'! Earl being Earl, he's going to get some people deliberately trying to upset him, but I think a lot of it is in his own mind to be honest.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Go Earl Strickland!

JAM [always rooting for the home team]:p

GO EARL!

At this juncture, my American fingers type:

USA, all the way! USA, all the way!

My second pick, though, to win, if it can't be an American, would be my man, Sandor Tot!:p

JAM

BigMalUK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol - good one. I've got two bases covered - I'm a Brit and my wife is American! We just need to find some Filipino line in our family and I think we have it won.

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BigMalUK said:
Nobody is denying he is a great player but do you think he should be allowed to disrespect opponents? There's no rumor here - lots of people heard and saw it clearly. Van Den Berg did not f*** with Earl, quite the opposite in fact. I hope Earl continues to play well - I love to watch him play and I admire his ability, I just think they guy does not understand the concept of grace in victory or defeat. He disrespected Hundal's famliy at t
the Mosconi Cup and now has mouthed off in a similar vein to Van Den Berg. The world is watching this and Strickland is coming across really badly I can tell you.
Unfournately,i dont think the world cares,especially after what happen at the world cup soccer,look who was voted the best player! Earl is Earl,and yes,he does go off,but VB should have just walked away also

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Ask Jason Kirkwood how the English team/fans treated him when he played Darren Appleton in the finals of the Grand Masters. It was like listening to a drunken English soccer match. At least Jason was good natured & tried to give them some ribbing and shouting back but he was a sole entity compared to the Appleton entourage.

Jam--that was your greatest post ever.

GO USA

I'll pull for my man, David Matlock, but he might come up a little short.