STROKE TIMING … A Complete MythBusting Study of Stroke Acceleration Effects

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that debunks many common myths and misconceptions concerning stroke timing and acceleration and their effects on cue tip contact time and shot action.

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:24 - Common Myths
1:58 - Tip Contact Time
3:22 - Stroke Acceleration
5:47 - The Study
6:30 - Results and Conclusions
8:45 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
always appreciate the info backed up by data
i think you need to emphasize that although timing has nothing to do with tip contact time or what happens to the cue ball(if i understood you correctly)
but a smoothly accelerating stroke will help in consistant tip accuracy and speed control
otherwise people might get the wrong impression that my timing doesnt matter

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
always appreciate the info backed up by data
i think you need to emphasize that although timing has nothing to do with tip contact time or what happens to the cue ball(if i understood you correctly)
but a smoothly accelerating stroke will help in consistant tip accuracy and speed control
otherwise people might get the wrong impression that my timing doesnt matter

I do emphasize this at the 8:29 point in the video.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's really odd that the most technically demanding cue sport discipline -- snooker, has the most superstitious thoughts about the game. There's probably something we can learn from that. One thing snooker players routinely point to is the "decel". Hendry blames a lot of his misses on this dreaded decel. I don't know exactly what they think is happening but I think it may be as simple as them not cueing the ball as hard as they intended to for some reason, so they don't calculate property for spin.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Observation / Hypothesis......I have zero scientific leg to stand on so this is just a "pondering"

I notice at the 6:30 mark the good accelerating stroke ball picked up forward rotation before the others...That seems to be a significant difference IMO....I wonder if the same effect would happen on draw (struck in the same spot)

I wonder if there may be some difference (from timing) due to shaft flex....I can't see how that could be measured but I suppose high speed cameras could pick up the flex.

I know in Golf shaft flex/stiffness, make a big difference based on swing speed....You basically want the whippiest shaft you can control ....Shaft too stiff and the ball comes off like a brick....to whippy and you lose control.....(add innuendoes here gutter brains....;))

I realize that the forces are applied in different directions between a Golf Club and Pool Cue....But I tend to want to think that shaft flex/taper etc....like in Golf play a significant role in the amount of "action" you get on the CB....and quite possibly could be a reason that some people swear they get better action from cue to cue or shaft to shaft....

Also a similar trade off in Pool....Perhaps a stiffer shaft....The CB comes off like a brick with the wrong type of stroke....whippy shaft...(AKA Meucci)...all kinds of CB action but hard to control.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's really odd that the most technically demanding cue sport discipline -- snooker, has the most superstitious thoughts about the game. There's probably something we can learn from that. One thing snooker players routinely point to is the "decel". Hendry blames a lot of his misses on this dreaded decel. I don't know exactly what they think is happening but I think it may be as simple as them not cueing the ball as hard as they intended to for some reason, so they don't calculate property for spin.
Yes, it's hard to see how "decel" would change a shot without side spin as far as the aim goes.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Deceleration is a big problem in pool also. If you decelerate, your speed control will not be accurate and consistent. Also, if it is a draw shot, the amount of backspin will likely be much less than expected.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I notice at the 6:30 mark the good accelerating stroke ball picked up forward rotation before the others...That seems to be a significant difference IMO....I wonder if the same effect would happen on draw (struck in the same spot)

The tip contact point was a hair above center with the accelerating stroke (hence the slight topspin), but I don't think the difference is important in the results. Good observation, though.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what the old school (never thought I'd be using that term) calls timing is about the idiosyncrasies of the stroke; the feel that wont fail them for the cash. These are habits that have been sussed out to deal with the individual's reaction to pressure.
I can't speak to the pros and cons of anyone's stroke in action but there are pros and cons to all methods.

shooter_Hans

This data means zilch.

We’re going to have a bunch of fools thinking about, not only deflection, acceleration.

It’s going to breed nothing but slow play.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This data means zilch.

We’re going to have a bunch of fools thinking about, not only deflection, acceleration.

It’s going to breed nothing but slow play.

Obviously, I disagree. Having good stroke mechanics and consistent timing are important. However, this is not something you think about during actual play. It is instead something you work on improving during practice or with an instructor.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I prefer not to think about timing a stroke in my future.

Thanks for the posting, the vid has a lot information.

The most useful part was slowing down to think about stroking the right way.

What else can go wrong during the stroke?