super glue

jaydog468

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone try the super glue gel with the brush??? I pick some up tonight and going to give it a shot

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Has anyone try the super glue gel with the brush??? I pick some up tonight and going to give it a shot

Forget the brush. If you want to do a CA finish then contact Chris Hightower & get his advice. It can be done...but a pain in the azz...and there are much easier ways to clear.:wink:

jaydog468

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget the brush. If you want to do a CA finish then contact Chris Hightower & get his advice. It can be done...but a pain in the azz...and there are much easier ways to clear.:wink:

I was talking about for tips and such.... seen to be cleaner to work with

Last edited:

jaydog468

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A drop from a bottle is fairly clean. How much to do you use when putting a tip on?

I'am new to cue repaire.... Just one drop, The wife see the CA with the brush... Was just trying some thing new. didn't know if someone else had try it.

W.Earp

Go away Hillary
Silver Member
Bob Smith Industries in the purple bottle (temporary brain fart) has always been great for tips.Havent lost one yet. Maybe someone can help on actual viscocity?

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'am new to cue repaire.... Just one drop, The wife see the CA with the brush... Was just trying some thing new. didn't know if someone else had try it.

Get some from lowes or home depot,the gorilla toughened super glue. BSI also make a toughend super glue but forget the colour coding of it.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my buddy uses Krazy glue with the brush and he likes it,says he has never had one come off.

Morgantownfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on if your talking about gel or thin CA. I like the loctite professional very well. Joe Blackburn turned me on to it a few years back and it is the nuts and only costs about $7.00 a bottle from lowes. If you like the gel try the duro gel or loctite 454. I have had good luck with both. Dosen't hurt to experiment with different types along the way since your new to repairs. Find a product you like and go from there!

Monk Slayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had issues in the past with anything but locktite, and in fact have had to ask for advice here concerning a customers cue, with a tip that kept falling off of a predator. Switched to locktite, problem solved.

Trent

Banned
ive had great luck with titebond CA glue "medium" i havent had a issue yet and its very reasonably priced, and it comes in big sizes i think up to 8ounces

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Loctite super glue GEL that comes in the pin point applicator bottle. It never clog up if you let it sit for a few days. Sqweeze the sides and get out only what you need. Looks like the side pieces wedge in like a couple of rollers to meter the glue out. $5 bucks but you get twice as much as the normal small tubes. When I buy anything larger I end up throwing half of it away. Look for it @ Walmart in the home tools area. They shelve the GEL there. If you find it in the office area they only have the THIN there.

Whatever you do don't cheap out and buy the stuff from a dollar store. All SG has a shelf life. If you buy the old stuff you'll be popping tips left and right.

jaydog468

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Loctite super glue GEL that comes in the pin point applicator bottle. It never clog up if you let it sit for a few days. Sqweeze the sides and get out only what you need. Looks like the side pieces wedge in like a couple of rollers to meter the glue out. $5 bucks but you get twice as much as the normal small tubes. When I buy anything larger I end up throwing half of it away. Look for it @ Walmart in the home tools area. They shelve the GEL there. If you find it in the office area they only have the THIN there.

Whatever you do don't cheap out and buy the stuff from a dollar store. All SG has a shelf life. If you buy the old stuff you'll be popping tips left and right.

Dano, This is the same Loctite super glue gel but it has the bush instead of the pin point applicator. I used the pin point applicator first, just seen the locktite super glue gel with the brush. I have been puting tips on and then cuting them off over and over trying to get the hang of it

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have time,polyeurathane glues work very well also.Most are shock reistant which is what is required for tips. Some here in NZ use contact adhesive also.

jaydog468

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have time,polyeurathane glues work very well also.Most are shock reistant which is what is required for tips. Some here in NZ use contact adhesive also.

I will give that a try... I have just been playing around with the new lathe

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I've used a Loctite with the brush,and if you are inclined to use CA to seal the sides of mushy tips like Elk Masters,or UGLY tips (j/k) like the Sniper,it works great,until the brush starts to get sticky. Rest assured you will get to that point long before you run out of glue,unless you have Joe Blackburn-like work volume.

I squirt some onto a fresh paper towel and use it to seal the surface of linen-based ferrules like Aegis,the Ivorine family,etc,especially if they are really clean to start with,or can't be totally cleaned without RADICAL sanding. On occasion,these materials will show up on even new shafts with crap molded into it,and only an actual cut will take it out,and at times not even then.

It helps me later on,because to a man,every one that comes to me for repairs likes the fact that it's as clean and nice as I can get it when I give it back. Only really dirty/poorly maintained for years leave my hands without looking as close to new as I can get it without sanding all day.

Sometimes,a little dab of CA can help a bad ferrule seam without having to take a cut on it and blend it back flat.

I've never had much of a problem with GETTING bad glue. My problem has been getting great glue and it GOES bad before I use it all. I stopped using the stuff I thought for years was the best out there,Satellite City Hot Stuff/Super T because I'd wind up throwing away half or more of a 17.00 bottle,because of the area I service I just don't get the volume some have. I do more work than both of the other guys that call themselves repairmen in this area combined however,because it's been at least 3 years since I HAD to do a tip for free.

The best choice these days for me is the Gorilla Glue CA in the squeeze tubes,it's a fairly new product so it couldn't have gone bad on the shelf yet,plus it's CHEAP,less than 2 bucks a tube in the packs I get. It's good about going sometimes 5-6 weeks without going bad,and a killer product,no functional failures at all yet if I do my part.

For accelerator,I use an unbranded Bob Smith product in a brown spray bottle. Tommy D.

johnqbs

john@qbs
Silver Member
i have a small lathe can do ferrules and tips . i use quick gel works good for me , and makes a good bond. put tips on just to take off ,i put a drop
on tip and spread out with tip of glue spout, do the same to cue.
the ones i have changed had a good and solid bond very consistent
all over . will add i don't think i have had one to come off.
if it's not broke don't fix it john107:anderson sc

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Loctite 454 is the best and the costliest I think.
I think coating the tips with Hot Stuff thin CA then using accelerator ( using a cotton swab ) on the ferrule and a medium CA, work just fine.
I think the white gorilla glue doesn't last as long as CA's.