Superman's downfalls ?

Flakeandrun

yes, it was de luna.
Don't think it was a shark tbh. I think Mika got off easy, and people were quick to shit on Jeff. Mouthing isn't the same as calling a ball. I mean, Mika loses his shit so easy, Jeff just played the situation. It's like winding up an older brother, just to watch them lose their shit at that point.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think it was a shark tbh. I think Mika got off easy, and people were quick to shit on Jeff. Mouthing isn't the same as calling a ball. I mean, Mika loses his shit so easy, Jeff just played the situation. It's like winding up an older brother, just to watch them lose their shit at that point.

Jeff “playing” the situation was clearly sharking plus it was so obvious only a nit would call it like De Luna did.

Flakeandrun

Jeff “playing” the situation was clearly sharking plus it was so obvious only a nit would call it like De Luna did.
He couldn't see his face, and he didn't audibly nominate. Why else did they need to check the situation? Rules is rules, and I'd say mouthing it doesn't cut it, when the objective is to make ref/player aware of the intended shot. Nitty it may be. I don't think he would have pressed it if Mika didn't act like such a baby, and it wasn't so funny. Mika sharked himself more than Jeff sharked him. Didn't matter so much anyway, given that Mika still won. It's one of the funniest overreactions/blow-ups I've seen.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Roberto Gomez is one of my favorite players. He always plays with great imagination and shows a lot of emotion at the table.

He's friendly off the table, too, and finds a way to have fun. I recall that he borrowed Mike Massey's guitar and sang a song for about twenty of us in the hallway during the 2022 International Open. He has a nice voice.

Outside of Alex Pagulayan, Gomez is probably the most charismatic Filippino player in the game today.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Gomez...
The older I get, the less I hate.

He called an important foul in a money set for me once.

He's not elite level but if he gets the chance....he can beat anybody.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think so. Look at someone who seems to be tech savvy like Fedor. You think he’s unaware of AZB. Doubt it. Others who used to post have long gone. Why because they get dragged down by the negative stuff.

Look at the stuff said about some people’s drug use or dating life. Nobody at my job makes me justify any of that garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This
And the predominant league mentality here.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
This
And the predominant league mentality here.
That's bad enough but you get people calling out individuals out some stuff they have heard third or forth hand. This guy dumped such and such. It's not possible that he had a bad game or just missed? This guy has a gambling problem. The whole sport is encircled in a gambling culture. This guy has a substance problem...hold on here...please hold my beer.

I've been here about 25 years and have seen many a pro come and go. Generally because they get abused or can't stand the mob mentality when they misstep. The great part of our sport is access. We can go to a hall or tourney and speak to all the current top players with almost zero cost or issue. 10 years ago (during one of the TAR events) I had dinner with Jayson Shaw and Mike Dechaine. I mentioned that I was probably eating with two future US Open champions. They both smiled ear to ear. I guess I was half right.

Ask yourselves this: How much better would AZB be if we had former greats (Varner, Rempe, Sigal, Hopkins, McCready, Hall, Pierse, Daveport, Howard, Archer etc) participate and share stories. Instead we have some clown arguing about an aiming system who can't run three balls. Or bemoaning why a player blew 10K at the craps table.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if you want pros to come here often they need a way to make some money from it. it is their business.

and enough of this sharking crap. a player doesn't have to act the way his opponent wants him to. or how people watching believe he has to act. he can act anyway he wants within the rules of the tournament. if he strays from the rules then he should be penalized.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

de luna said "liar" from the chair. but mika lost his shit, that part is also true.

Flakeandrun

de luna said "liar" from the chair. but mika lost his shit, that part is also true.
Well he technically didn't say it, he mouthed it. He wasn't facing Jeff and couldn't be heard. Mika's reaction to the situation prompted him to dig back. Stand by my original point. This was more winding someone up than it was sharking. I think Jeff is a pretty light-hearted and playful guy. Has been the times I have watched him play/interacted with him.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well he technically didn't say it, he mouthed it. He wasn't facing Jeff and couldn't be heard. Mika's reaction to the situation prompted him to dig back. Stand by my original point. This was more winding someone up than it was sharking. I think Jeff is a pretty light-hearted and playful guy. Has been the times I have watched him play/interacted with him.

fedor gorst got to experience that lighthearted playfulness in full i guess, when they played their money match. magic rack went missing, breaking with cb outside the kitchen, starting nonsense discussions on whose break it was.. i have never seen such stuff from gomez

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fedor gorst got to experience that lighthearted playfulness in full i guess, when they played their money match. magic rack went missing, breaking with cb outside the kitchen, starting nonsense discussions on whose break it was.. i have never seen such stuff from gomez
U ever seen Gomez act playful and happy-go-lucky when he's losing? I haven't.

Flakeandrun

Haven't seen that one, can you link it here? sounds hilarious 🤣

Texas Carom Club

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U ever seen Gomez act playful and happy-go-lucky when he's losing? I haven't.
If you’re playing someone are they not allowed to enjoy themselves or is peoples skin that thin?
How do you act while down on a match , probably stern and focused

Texas Carom Club

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose then you should also include those that yell out after a win for people that gloat because there’s no bigger fu to the opponent than to yell out loud after beating them

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what gets me. How can someone who has followed the game long enough to be a pro player, not even be aware that the site exists. I know that some of them really dislike the site for various reasons, but not even know that it exists???? That just baffles me.
But there's certainly be a distinction between the Americans and euros, vs the rest of the (non English) world.

If an American pro alleges he doesn't know Azb, he's a-lying!

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you’re playing someone are they not allowed to enjoy themselves or is peoples skin that thin?
How do you act while down on a match , probably stern and focused

Good points. I agree.

However, there's a difference between laughing off your own mistakes, and going na-na-na boo-boo at your opponent during a serious match right after he dogs a hit.
I have seen Roberto do that to Tokoph. I found it to be obnoxious, and even disrespectful.