SVB vs Chang Update Thread

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course no country is a monolith and everyone has their own opinions. The point I was making is that the ROC is not the same thing as the PRC. Just because it has China in the name doesn't mean that you should call the Ko brothers Chinese...
What should you call them when speaking about them as a whole?

Chinese or Taiwanese?

Even some of the people who were born in Taiwan and have past generations of ancestors being born in Taiwan refer to themselves as Chinese. The rest may call themselves Taiwanese.

hkwong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What should you call them when speaking about them as a whole?

Chinese or Taiwanese?

Even some of the people who were born in Taiwan and have past generations of ancestors being born in Taiwan refer to themselves as Chinese. The rest may call themselves Taiwanese.

I’ve learned from experience that most Taiwanese prefer to be called Taiwanese and not Chinese. Generally when I meet someone. I’ll specifically ask are you from China or Taiwan just to know the difference. I personally don’t care what people think or say regarding my race. I just accept it.

Similarly, my last name is spelled “Wang” pronounced “Wong” when I introduce myself to people. I generally say it’s Wang just to avoid confusion and questioning the pronunciation of my name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
race is just the guy you are looking at that looks different from you, is thinking you look different than him.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve learned from experience that most Taiwanese prefer to be called Taiwanese and not Chinese. Generally when I meet someone. I’ll specifically ask are you from China or Taiwan just to know the difference. I personally don’t care what people think or say regarding my race. I just accept it.

Similarly, my last name is spelled “Wang” pronounced “Wong” when I introduce myself to people. I generally say it’s Wang just to avoid confusion and questioning the pronunciation of my name.

I have leaned from almost 50-years experience that you never know what they prefer to be called until you ask them or know them.

I lived there from 1973-76 and go back to visit every so often.

My wife is from Taiwan. Sometimes she refers to herself as Taiwanese and other times as Chinese. She has never been to mainland China and I am not sure how many generations it would go back if her family ever were in China.

Last edited:

hkwong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have leaned from almost 50-years experience they you never know what they prefer to be called until you ask them or know them.

I lived there from 1973-76 and go back to visit every so often.

My wife is from Taiwan. Sometimes she refers to herself as Taiwanese and other times as Chinese. She has never been to mainland China and I am not sure how many generations it would go back if her family ever were in China.

One of the main reason when I meet some who speaks mandarin if they’re from China or Taiwan is to know how to address them.

Most times I refer to myself as Chinese when I meet people. I guess similar to you wife I guess it depends on the situation. Explanation or no explanation

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It’s funny I think Shane’s head to head record against the Taiwanese players is overall loss. But he is substantially higher than all of them in FargoRate.
What's even funnier, is that NO other American Professional Pool players are willing to follow SVB,s lead. Must not be able to reach an agreement on a spot to make a match up fair, otherwise American Pro's don't have the balls to play even up!!