SVB will be the first millionaire pool player??

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting, I guess I just haven't spent enough time learning the rack!

Now, what about my other two questions?

- do you think earl was doing this?
- is it legal/ethical?

IMO its legal, but unethical.
Its a part of the problem with rack your own. Tournament directors went with rack your own to shut people up. Players were whining so much about the rack, stuff like getting slugged or pattern racking to make tougher runouts etc. instead of addressing and enforcing what is basically good sportsmanship in making sure racks are honestly as random and racked as good as can be, they gave into the whiners. Grady Mathews was a huge proponent of rack your own, and in one pocket it works out better because you really are just avoiding getting screwed as opposed to setting up dead balls, you can tilt the rack to help avoid the accidental scratch, but thats not as huge of an issue IMO as it doesnt happen as much.
So now, in turn rack your own set up a situation where guys can pattern rack for themselves, and gap the rack for the wing balls (easier to set up than the nine ball).
As a purist, I consider it a bastardization of the game, and contributes to dishonesty and unethical behavior in pool. There was always a good amount of both so why add to it IMHO.
Chuck

Last edited:

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
Shane making investments

Shane will probably be a millionaire when he retires. He is already investing money in rental property and things right? At least that's what I have heard.

Well we all know how smart that is. I've been hanging out with players, pro, semi-pro all my life and no matter what talent they have, none of them have a pot to piss in. Earl Strickland was up at our hall for the last 4 days doing some lessons with a guy and we got to hanging out and talking about it. It's a sad state of affairs, but it doesn't have to be. Earl admits he's made a LOT of money in his career, had he invested it wisely, he'd be living on easy street now instead of traveling the country trying to make a living at 56, it ain't easy.

We all agree pool will probably never be the recognized sport that tennis and golf are, so the sponsorship and payouts will never be there for these talented athletes who obviously MUST realize that they won't be able to play at the same caliber their playing at now forever. Heck I'd even invest some of my winnings in Cryptocurrencies, what better way to hide your winnings, avoid taxes and invest for the future.

Earl is fortunate he's in great physical shape and is a true natural who plays the game for the love of he sport so he can still play at top ranking level, he realizes he'll never get rich doing it though.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Lots of millionaire pool players, just not many that got there by playing pool.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for Shane. I don't know him but he seems to be level headed enough to put the money in a safe interest paying fund and let it grow.

I'm sure there have been players who made that much but were gambling addicts and couldn't keep the cash.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edit.. just noticed this was from 2014.. ahhh..

If we are talking about a million won in tournaments, are we also talking about "challenge" matches? I would assume sponsor and ad money would be not in this discussion.

The HK Challenge got Efren 100,000 many years ago, plus the IPT winnings, that gets him to about half a million right there in only a couple of events.

Frost and a few others made good money from IPT and also from that card player, I think Frost got half a million from those two sources alone. He posted a picture of his house and said it was from IPT money.

Earl got quite a few hundred thousand from the settlement, I think the amount or close the amount was given out, and he won like every other tournament in his prime, including the world championships when they actually paid out good money.

With the Chinese 8 ball money, if that hangs around for a bit and some pool player pros can win or cash in those events, there is a chance for a few more million dollar tournament winners to be made.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We paid $3.4 Million for my last club, Carsons Palace which generated over 37 million in revenue and it was mainly because of pool. "CJ's Billiard Palace" also grossed over 17 million in the 17 years I owned and operated it, with Earl Strickland winning the Million Dollar Challenge at CJ's as well (worth $630,000 at the time of the event).

When we closed one part of the Carsons Palace deal (a million dollar personal loan) the loan officers said bluntly "we don't know why we're finalizing this loan just on your signature, although you can always attributed it to what you've accomplished in pool".

The prize money hasn't been that great in pool, however players like Allen Hopkins, Steve Mizerak, Nick Varner, and myself have generated millions as a result of leveraging other pool related businesses (billiard supply, trade shows, clubs, etc).
10458771_959247110767992_583062176823890026_n.jpg

I was gonna throw in Nick Varner's name also, but CJ beat me to it. I know Nick did well in 89' and 90' in tournaments but who knows what he reeled in on money games? That figure could be very high.
He also had a line of cues and I think a pool hall for a while, not sure if it's still running?

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From this retelling, is it reasonable to infer that Earl somehow figured out a way to rack in order to create a "wired" or "live" nine bal?

How would somebody rack to create a "wired" or "live" nine ball?

Is this considered legitimate, or would it somehow violate/skirt WPA/BCA rules?

For the first 5 racks he did by himself, the last 5 had a neutral racker. The way I hear it, Earl actually racked 6 by himself and was told he had to do the last 5 with a neutral racker. So....he did 5 with a neutral racker giving him a total of 11 racks if memory serves me correctly?
The last shot on the 9 ball was no hanger. It was a table length combo that was very tough. Earl nailed it like it had eyes.
No matter how you slice it, he shot some perfect pool that day :)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The HK Challenge got Efren 100,000 many years ago, plus the IPT winnings, that gets him to about half a million right there in only a couple of events. ...

Hey, you're shorting him. Efren won $765,000 in the 3 IPT tournaments.

[But we don't know how much of that went to backers.]

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow

Jeannette Lee is probably the player who has made the most money consistently, and probably the most overall due to her significant endorsements. This article gives a good picture of her earnings.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/new_current_issue/apr_08/

Thanks for posting that link; I knew Jeannette Lee had made great effort and strides in promoting herself, but had no real idea the magnitude of her success.
It's pretty awesome how much she grew her brand and how far reaching outside of the billiards world.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is silly because there’s so much speculation about tournament winnings, taxes, gambling, spending habits, expenses, sponsorships, pool-related investments, non-pool investments, etc.

I’d prefer to not guess about anyone’s worth because I’m sure any effort would probably be way off the mark.

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, you're shorting him. Efren won $765,000 in the 3 IPT tournaments.

[But we don't know how much of that went to backers.]

Yeah, he got the money in the IPT, COM, etc... and that's what we know of... cash action, who knows? I'm betting all in, it's Efren.

Attachments

• IPT.Cash.jpg
    IPT.Cash.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 164

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I read in Fats/Rudy Wanderlone’s biographies he used to do demonstrations in baseball stadiums, as did Greenleaf back in the day (forgive me if my spelling of their names is wrong). They had to have some serious cash.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Just curious. Does anybody know for sure if Shane has continued to do well financially? I just don't see how it's possible with the expenses and payouts.