T.V. balls colors..??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just checking to make sure my eyes are working. Aramith and Cyclop t.v. sets ARE different color combinations, right? Been watching some matches on-line and can't figure out which ball is which. The t.v. colors outta be standardized imo.

Last edited:

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just checking to make sure my eyes are working. Aramith and Cyclop t.v. sets ARE different color combinations, right? Been watching some matches on-line and can't figure out which ball is which. The t.v. colors outta be standardized imo.

Cyclops makes 2 non-traditional sets. One looks like candy colors and the other is the TV colors.

Attachments

• Cyclop-Billiards-Balls-2-1-4-Tournament-9-Ball-game-American-pool-balls-Resin-balls-Ares.jpg_640.jpg
    Cyclop-Billiards-Balls-2-1-4-Tournament-9-Ball-game-American-pool-balls-Resin-balls-Ares.jpg_640.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 989

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the Aramith purple 4/12 or centennial brown to the tv pink. To me the 4 and 5 are sometimes difficult to tell apart on the tv balls.

I don't see the benefit other than the company gets to sell more sets of balls.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was an unfortunate day when they decided to change the traditional colors of several of the balls. IMO the choices they made were not good for TV matches (most particularly the six, seven, fourteen and fifteen). The traditional colors are much easier to see on television and differentiate one from the other.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was an unfortunate day when they decided to change the traditional colors of several of the balls. IMO the choices they made were not good for TV matches (most particularly the six, seven, fourteen and fifteen). The traditional colors are much easier to see on television and differentiate one from the other.
I agree. In the now ancient non-HD days i could kinda see the reasoning behind the t.v. balls but with current HD broadcasts you have zero issues telling traditional balls apart. That baby-puke green that Cyclop uses for the 6-14balls is just wrong.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree. In the now ancient non-HD days i could kinda see the reasoning behind the t.v. balls but with current HD broadcasts you have zero issues telling traditional balls apart. That baby-puke green that Cyclop uses for the 6-14balls is just wrong.

And what color name do you use for the pale blue??? "Pale blue" or "aqua" don't exactly roll off the tongue lol

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
At least with "Pink" there is an easily recognizable name. Likewise "Brown"

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

The trick to making a good telecast for TV or Stream is to close on the balls between shots. There is usually a ten to fifteen second window when a close up of the most relevant balls could be shown clearly so the viewer knows the layout of the balls before the player takes his next shot. This does not need to be done on all shots, especially the obvious ones at the end of a rack, but it can be very helpful early in a rack of 9-Ball (especially when balls are tied up) and much more so during a game of One Pocket.

Not all directors use this tool in the most beneficial way. It takes someone who understands the game of pool and the game being played to know how to do this effectively. Pat Fleming is probably the best we have currently at showing trouble shots and tricky layouts.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, the TV colors are harder to see than the traditional colors; like the 4, 6 & 7 for example. Lighter shades are harder to see IMHO.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate the TV balls, all versions of them. The Cylcop TV balls are worse than the Aramith balls. I wrote to Accu-stats asking them to never use Cyclop TV balls again. They responded they agree they are the hardest to differentiate, but if they are the sponsor...

IMO, the best balls to differentiate as a fan while watching a stream are:
Best: Aramith Duramith Tournament Set (regular colors)
Second: Brunswick Centennial (regular colors)

Everything else is a large distance behind these two.

Dead last by a mile is Cyclop TV set.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Cyclop balls take me back to the first day I played pool.....
....I have to look at the numbers again.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
And what color name do you use for the pale blue??? "Pale blue" or "aqua" don't exactly roll off the tongue lol

I’ve been calling them Teal Blue and Lime Green (7-ball, 6-ball) on the streams. After getting used to that for the US 10-ball, I get all screwed up with the 14-ball and 15-ball in the US 8-ball.

Freddie <~~~ blinded by the colors

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate the TV balls, all versions of them. The Cylcop TV balls are worse than the Aramith balls. I wrote to Accu-stats asking them to never use Cyclop TV balls again. They responded they agree they are the hardest to differentiate, but if they are the sponsor...

IMO, the best balls to differentiate as a fan while watching a stream are:
Best: Aramith Duramith Tournament Set (regular colors)
Second: Brunswick Centennial (regular colors)

Everything else is a large distance behind these two.

Dead last by a mile is Cyclop TV set.

+1
Someone mentioned the baby puke green 6/14 balls... just wrong.

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cyclops makes 2 non-traditional sets. One looks like candy colors and the other is the TV colors.
HEY! I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING! I was looking at the balls in post #3. I'm 58. Since age ten I've spent many, many thousands of hours hovered over stretched green cloth. Ok...I just noticed for the first time.....There are seven balls higher numbered then the 8 ball. The first of those balls ( the 9 ball) has the same colored stripe (yellow) as the 1 ball. The second ball after the 8 ball (the 10 ball) has the same colored stripe (blue) as the 2 ball......it's the same thing with the next five balls and balls 3 thru 7!

DID YOU GUYS ALL KOW THIS?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
HEY! I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING! I was looking at the balls in post #3. I'm 58. Since age ten I've spent many, many thousands of hours hovered over stretched green cloth. Ok...I just noticed for the first time.....There are seven balls higher numbered then the 8 ball. The first of those balls ( the 9 ball) has the same colored stripe (yellow) as the 1 ball. The second ball after the 8 ball (the 10 ball) has the same colored stripe (blue) as the 2 ball......it's the same thing with the next five balls and balls 3 thru 7!

Welcome to the 19th century, Elroy.:D

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

Crazy man!!

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy man!!
I'm offended! I'm a basement player. You can't help after 47 years learning the colors of 1 thru 8. You can't help learning that the 9 - ball has a yellow stripe if you watch enough matches on TV or YOU TUBE. Twenty four hours ago though, if someone had asked me what color the stripes were on balls 10 thru 15, I wouldn't have had had a clue.

I've only played 8 - ball at home with friends or at bars in college. You don't have to know the numbers of the striped balls to play 8 - ball! Balls 10 thru 15 are not even used in 9 - ball. This lack of knowledge has never been a detriment to me! I'll save my brain energy for more pressing matters!

There haven't been many pressing matters on my mind lately. I'm cognizant of this and I don't want my brain to atrophy; so last night while looking at those balls in post no. 3, I decided that although it's unecessary knowledge, in an effort to simply give my brain a workout, I'd memorize the colors of the stripes on balls 10 thru 15.

........and I came to a discovery! All I'm doing is sharing my discovery with others who have never felt the need to memorize the colors of the stripes on balls 10 through 15,

As I wrote.....I'm offended......JEEEEEZE!