Table lights, LED?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9' table with a three light fixture over it. It's OK with 100 watt bulbs, but you can't buy those anymore. I've tried the CFL bulbs but the ones rated at 100 watt only put out around 60 watts of light. I see they have 150 watt LED bulbs and I would try those but they cost $39.95 each.

Has anyone hung LED bulbs over their table? How do they work out? Or what are you using for replacements?

I may end up building a 8 foot fixture like the pro series Gold Crown or Diamond lights. But I need some lighting now.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do 'environmentally friendly' LED lights cause BLINDNESS?

Spanish research has shown that blue LED light can irreparably damage the cells in the eye's retina
This is not the first time energy-saving bulbs have been criticised - fluorescent bulbs emit dangerous UV light

By Rachel Reilly

PUBLISHED: 08:13 EST, 14 May 2013 | UPDATED: 16:01 EST, 14 May 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...LED-lights-cause-BLINDNESS.html#ixzz2sD2MuwZj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm currently building an 8' x 2' x 2.5" LED light with Diamond diffusers to match my new Diamond Pro 9 footer that Donny is installing Wednesday. Around $250 in materials including a solid oak frame. I'll post pics and parts list later this week.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuejo, Thanks for the link. I've PM'ed him for more information. Have you or anyone shot under those lights? DeadStick, I will be looking for your photo's and parts post. I've been thinking about building something like that since I first saw a Diamond light. I'm really interested in the diffuser part.

LAMas, I'm already a geezer who can't pick up the 6 on green cloth. Which is why I went to 860 blue. Which is why these damn dim CFL lights are pissing me off. Now I'll go blind using bright LED lights? Now I'm going to have to go to Canada to smuggle in 100 watt light bulbs? Maybe that can be my part time retirement gig.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
I play under these lights quite a bit,
I just posted into the other thread with pics of my current light....
I plan on putting 4 of these panels in my current light box because they are so good!
I'm going to use 4-2x2 panels :)
If you don't get a response from Brian, shoot me a pm and I'll get him in touch with you :), he doesn't have tapatalk on his phone and doesn't get notifications

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do 'environmentally friendly' LED lights cause BLINDNESS?

Spanish research has shown that blue LED light can irreparably damage ...

A quote about that research and a non-technical article it spawned:

"The internet is a wasteland of misinformation, this article simply another bleak stone in that desert."​

One of the points made in the ensuing discussions was that you get more ultraviolet from compact fluorescent lights and HID lights than from standard "white" LEDs.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuejo, A couple of questions. According to Brian's post he sells 2x4 panels for a 9' table. I have a 9' GC. Would one panel be enough for me? How come you're looking at 4 2x2's? Why not 2 2x4's and would you hook it up with a rheostat?

My current light is a 48" fixture with the bulbs on 20" centers. It was made for a 7 or maybe 8' table. The bulb from table surface is 36" I have a 9' ceiling so I could hang it at any height. What have you found is a good table to panel height for coverage on a 9'er? Because of the light I have now I wonder about limiting to a 4 foot spread.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member

perfect!

yes, OP - these are killer & i'm working on them in my furniture business.
as for the new CFL lights, i can tell you that none of us use them:

1) my CA rep, also works in a furniture store. they installed all CFL in their ceiling. they had a power outtage. and when the power surged back on - THE BULBS EXPLODED. all over everything, in their store.
2) my previous husband was a contractor. they installed these in UNC-Greensboro job when they 1st came out. same thing.

none of us, use them. go w/ the old incandescent (cheaper & truer colors) for now. (cause you're not wired for halogen & they get too hot & expensive) and check out LED - it's the wave of the future!

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
For a pool room, one panel is really good, slight shadows on the ends, but compared with typical 3/4 bulb lamps there is no comparison the LEDs are way better.
For my own table I like overkill
I have 12-4' full spectrum tubes at the moment.
The 2' panels are 52 watt I belive versus the 85 watt 4' panel
So using 4-2' is more than 2-4' as far as brightness goes.
I have a 4x8 light box with parabolic reflector grid, so that swallows up some light but reflects it super evenly.

These panels are low voltage and dimmable, so if you are replacing an existing light you replace the existing switch with a led dimmer and hook it up
Here's a pic of my existing light, very small shadows
Panels will just be brighter for me, and easy on power, and longer lasting, and more even light throughout the life span of the panel :)
3y9agy8u.jpg
ujude9a4.jpg
ta2udu9y.jpg

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
LED flat panels are a no-brainer in my opinion, even though I'm obviously biased. Why buy an expensive fixture and then the lights to go inside it, when you can buy the lights and the fixture all as one unit, and at a fraction of the cost?

We're also looking at some angled concepts using multiple panels, which should have the effect of virtually eliminating shadow under the balls altogether. I'll post some concept drawings of that later this week. I think you'll all find it very interesting.

Last edited: