Tell 'em like it is, Alex!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Renegade said:
I would rather defer my opinion on the matter to those of forum members better placed to know something about these things, such as Bandido, Bayawak, gop-i, Jay, and pheobe choy.
cuycuy, also a member of this forum, is from raya sports and is, i believe, related to yen makabenta, president of raya sports and the current BSCP chairman. Yen Makabenta was last year's BD (or is it Inside Pool?) Man of the Year for Raya Sports' successful staging of the 2006 WPC in Manila. i wonder what he has to say regarding this controversy?

I have communicated directly with Yen recently. That is when I posted that there is another side to this situation.

I will say this about Yen Makabenta. He has worked tirelessly to improve the lot of professional pool in the Philipines. It is mainly thru his efforts that the WPC was brought there by Matchroom.

He has also worked hard to create new and bigger tournaments for pro players to play in around Asia. You will soon see an all new Asian Ten Ball tour. And they have a telelvision show set to kick off in September. All these are opportunities for professional players to make a living and become more well known, so they can get endorsements and private sponsorship. And they can win real money too!

Being a pool promoter can be a thankless task. You're a bad guy if you somehow make money at it, and you are perceived as taking advantage of the pool players. It is not easy to produce events as anyone who has done it will attest. Most promoters do it for the love of the game. I suspect Yen has not been enriched for his efforts thus far, and many pool players have. Ronnie Alcano to name one.

If Pool is prospering in Asia and in the Philipines, Yen has been instrumental in making that happen. And unlike some recent American promoters, the players DO get paid over there when they win. By the way, foreign players are being invited to participate in these tournaments. It is not a closed door for them. And a few will be going, like Shane VB.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
Thanks, Jay. That certainly puts a new perspective on things. I read before that Raya Sports would only recoup their investment in last year's staging of the WPC if the one this year would be as successful. Which is why they have put out all the stops to make pool all the more interesting this year, not only for the fans, but also for the mainstream public and the advertisers.

It's also good to hear about the planned developments for Asian Pool, in particular the 10-ball tour. I think this would be a huge success, especially if foreign players would be invited to attend. Or better yet, why not make it an open event?

Last edited:

Schon-desi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to clear up some issues, Alex has a problem with BSCP, Yen Makabenta is only a member of the BSCP as chairman. Raya Sports is run by Yen but Raya is separate from BSCP. Solar sports and Puyat Sports had co-produced the Phil. 9-ball Open and will be holding the next one in September.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Renegade said:
Thanks, Jay. That certainly puts a new perspective on things. I read before that Raya Sports would only recoup their investment in last year's staging of the WPC if the one this year would be as successful. Which is why they have put out all the stops to make pool all the more interesting this year, not only for the fans, but also for the mainstream public and the advertisers.

It's also good to hear about the planned developments for Asian Pool, in particular the 10-ball tour. I think this would be a huge success, especially if foreign players would be invited to attend. Or better yet, why not make it an open event?

My understanding is that these events will be open to foreign players who have achieved some status in the sport. The top Americans and Europeans should be welcome to play. I know that Shane, Max, Corey and a couple of others have been contacted to participate.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
Schon-desi said:
Just to clear up some issues, Alex has a problem with BSCP, Yen Makabenta is only a member of the BSCP as chairman. Raya Sports is run by Yen but Raya is separate from BSCP. Solar sports and Puyat Sports had co-produced the Phil. 9-ball Open and will be holding the next one in September.

Thanks for the clarification, schon-desi. Do you have any idea where this controversy is coming from?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bandido said:
Oh so true. Working on getting player/players, if not the sport itself, to that status is the current goal. So, these controversies damage whatever positive image that was worked hard for.

About the emboldened part of your post:
Players should quit acting like they do generate millions for sponsors because they don't. Like I said in another thread, some players need to get off of their imaginary high horse and help work on getting themselves on a real one.

Do you have any affilliation with the BSCP?

JAM

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
JAM said:
Do you have any affilliation with the BSCP?

JAM
Nothing set in stone until I get it in writing. Actually, I was one of the earlier critics of the previous administration. But since the regime change, I've been giving my support to whatever project that could have a use for it. And it's with any group here that does good for pool.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
Schon-desi said:
Solar sports and Puyat Sports had co-produced the Phil. 9-ball Open and will be holding the next one in September.
Yup and the qualifiers are starting this Saturday. And as last year, Ish, the Puyat Sports TD, can just holler when she needs help when somebody bullies her about play regulations.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
Here's a great blog about the "Alex" incident and with video too.
The article was titled, "No clowns allowed in pool?". Judge for
yourselves guys...

http://pedestrianobserver.blogspot.com/2007/07/no-clowns-allowed-in-pool.html

Gee, the audience is engaged, applauding, laughing, enjoying themselves as they watch Alex Pagulayan competing in the tournament.

This is the reason the BSCP pulled Alex from the tournament? What a bunch of donks they are. Alex is good for pool. The BSCP made a big mistake, IMHO!

JAM

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
JAM said:
Gee, the audience is engaged, applauding, laughing, enjoying themselves as they watch Alex Pagulayan competing in the tournament.

This is the reason the BSCP pulled Alex from the tournament? What a bunch of donks they are. Alex is good for pool. The BSCP made a big mistake, IMHO!

JAM

Granted Alex might have been an a--hole when he asked for compensation, I still don't see why he is let go of the team. They can criticize him for asking too much, but come on, removing him from the Guinness tour was just a payback because he pissed someone.

And the excuse they gave was just so lame, "clowning around". Why don't they just say that the whole reason was that Alex is not willing to sacrifice some of his time to promote pool in the Philippines, so we are giving other player an opportunity to make a name for himself that could help pool in Philippines during the process. I would have been amenable with that.

Last edited:

vin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is leevan from the bugsy stable? if yes.. another reason may be they want a full bugsy lineup! still lame but theres politics in it :D

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
vin said:
is leevan from the bugsy stable? if yes.. another reason may be they want a full bugsy lineup! still lame but theres politics in it :D

LeeVan is from the Bacolod stable of Mr. Sy.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This article is a slap in the face for the BSCP. Read on...

ESPN Starsports says they got no complaints about Pagulayan

ESPN Star Sports says they received "no complaints whatsoever from
players, coaches or organizers regarding the behavior of Alex Pagulayan"
the 2004 World Pool Champion who was replaced by the Billiards & Snooker
Congress of the Philippines from the Shanghai leg of the Guinness 9-Ball
Tour.

BSCP president Ernesto Fajardo had told Viva Sports/Manila Standard
Today that the executive committee had decided to replace Pagulayan
with Jeffrey De Luna because Pagulayan "clowned around too much" during
his semi final match against Ibrahim Amir of Malaysia in the Singapore leg of
the tour.

In a statement issued by ESPN Star Sports public relations executive Dux
Carvajal the worldwide leader in sports which covers and telecast the
Guinness 9-Ball Tour maintained that neither the sports network nor
Guinness requested a change in the player line-up of the Philippines.

However, they did make it clear that ESPN Star Sports "respects whatever
decision the BSCP or any local governing body implements."

Despite the claims by Fajardo that they had received complaints both from
here and abroad about Pagulayan?s behavior, ABS-CBN reported that
Fajardo couldn?t name a single person who complained.

Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today received an email from an ESPN Star
Sports official who was in Singapore during the Pagulayan semi final match
who said "everybody enjoyed watching Pagulayan play. The fans simply
adored him and ESPN Star Sports and Guinness were duly impressed by his
audience draw."

The official said that Pagulayan was one of the favorites not merely
because of his skill but also because of his "refreshing entertaining style" in
the Asian tour which has become lackluster and monotonous.

In fact YouTube ran a video showing Pagulayan making funny expressions
after he played a great safety shot and cut to the fans who were laughing
and cheering the little Filipino.

Source:

http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.cfm?storynum=4539

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
ESPN Star Sports says they received "no complaints whatsoever from players, coaches or organizers regarding the behavior of Alex Pagulayan"...BSCP president Ernesto Fajardo had told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that the executive committee had decided to replace Pagulayan with Jeffrey De Luna because Pagulayan "clowned around too much" during his semi final match against Ibrahim Amir of Malaysia in the Singapore leg of the tour... Despite the claims by Fajardo that they had received complaints both from here and abroad about Pagulayan's behavior, ABS-CBN reported that Fajardo couldn't name a single person who complained....

How sad that is, not one complaint about Alex, but this Fajardo dude yanks him off Team Philippines!

JAM

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
How sad that is, not one complaint about Alex, but this Fajardo dude yanks him off Team Philippines!

JAM

From the looks of it, Guinness wants Alex on the tour, unfortunately, they
have to respect the BSCP's decision. I really hope that Guinness will give
Alex a free pass just like Ronnie for next year's tour.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
JAM said:

JAM

Eventhough pool is big in the Philippines, no one really talk about it there outside the aficionados.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
From the looks of it, Guinness wants Alex on the tour, unfortunately, they
have to respect the BSCP's decision. I really hope that Guinness will give
Alex a free pass just like Ronnie for next year's tour.

Ronnie is a Guinness endorser. I don't think Alex will get a free pass, or else Guinness has to give all the other countries another slot.

poolchic

help me lord
Silver Member
JAM said:
Front page news this morning, an article about Alex Pagulayan, one of the most beloved pool players in the entire world, getting kicked off the Team Philippines for an upcoming Billiards and Snooker Congress of Philippines (BSCP) event.

Alex requested to be compensated if they were going to use his likeness on a televised pool match, and when he said show me the money, the BSCP promptly kicked him off the four-man team, replacing him with Jeffrey De Luna.

Pagulayan made the statement after the BSCP replaced him as a member of the four-man Philippine team that is scheduled to compete in the Guinness Asia 9-Ball Tour in Shanghai, China, on August 3-5. He also said that he had spent money for his plane fare to come, missed a couple of tournaments and exhibition matches, which deprived him of earnings. Pagulayan said it's good that they did this so "I can now go to media and tell them what has been happening".

Do you stand by with Alex's stance, or should he have kept quiet? I'm on Alex's side. The pool industry is the one making all the big bucks, while pool players scrape for crumbs. What say you?

JAM

I saw where efren played for free...Besides if my memory serves me correctly Alex is a canadian right?
But as far as my opinion goes....they should have at least taken care of his expenses.

mikev_wvufan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree totally. If you use somebody to promote anything they should be compensated. He ought to be reimbursed for his plane fair.