The 6th player in the Mosconi Cup

RShellhouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am well aware there will be two sides to this if not more....so here is the talking points...

how much is the crowd playing a part in this...

Is it the same in Vegas? I just can't imagine so..

Was it cool for the non playing captain of the Urrrr-rup team to be actively instigating the hollering as well as wolf whistling when Shuff went down to break?

Are earplugs allowed?

Feel free to jump in...

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
Mosconi cup puts a lot of pressure on players, i don't think they miss/choke a shot cuz of loud noises or any external disturbance, its the "pressure" that plays a role here and that's just the nature of the beast.
I do know that a lot of players complain about noise, people walking around etc.. but thats just part of any sport. Fans are going to be crazy and they have every bit of right to do so. would you rather shoot pool in a graveyard ? and even if you do how better you gonna play there as compared to noisy environment ?

Read this http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=299545, and imagine playing pool in that environment, but a great player would deal with it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The crowd is what makes this event so special.

I am personally inviting every person attending the Mosconi Cup live to the Derby City Classic and ask them to be just as loud.

Pool can be electrifying, and Europe has shown us the way. Let's follow their lead, for pool can be this exciting in the USA.

So much for nine ball not being exciting. Short race nine ball is the most exciting brand of pool there is, and it's the reason that the Derby City Classic 9-ball, with its race to seven format is my favorite event of the year in America .... and the best part is that it's only six weeks away.

Matchroom Sports ..... you are simply the best.

Last edited:

ThePitster

Registered
Agree with sjm. It creates a brand of pool that works on TV.

I would only draw the line on singing, cheering, whistling etc
when players are on shot. Obviously fans throwing in personal comments
should not be tolerated.

Unfortunately, a few light weight drinking fans have
over stepped the line this year.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was so sick of hearing that one guy yelling "EUROPE!!" constantly to the point where Michaela has to tell him to shut up...

Especially during Johnny's match

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
The crowd is what makes this event so special.

I am personally inviting every person attending the Mosconi Cup live to the Derby City Classic and ask them to be just as loud.

Pool can be electrifying, and Europe has shown us the way. Let's follow their lead, for poolcan be this exciting in the USA.

I have been to two or three cups (I honestly forget) in Vegas and I just never got into the whole manufactured hype thing. The Euros do that stuff because by the second match the whole crowd is blasted.

If matchroom wants an equal crowd they should do it in Philly and have two for one beer night.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I am well aware there will be two sides to this if not more....so here is the talking points...

Was it cool for the non playing captain of the Urrrr-rup team to be actively instigating the hollering as well as wolf whistling when Shuff went down to break?

Are earplugs allowed?

Feel free to jump in...

No different than American sporting events where the crowd tries to shark the opposing team. I mean for a pool event it's shocking and hard to fade but at the end of the day it's a guy facing a stationary pool ball, not someone trying to hit a 90mph pitch.

So, deal with it. The refs are there to keep it controlled and they did that.

And I have no problem with either team rousing the crowd. Pool is poor, we can't afford sexy cheerleaders. ;-)

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too was sceptical before I had a chance to watch it live,
but it really fits into the event in a special way, good for promotion under the current circumstances.
Great tournament, congratulations to both teams!!
Petros

freedomfry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are earplugs allowed?

Feel free to jump in...

Just to clear this up. Johan was whistling after the rack was won by Melling. There is no way a guy like him would participate in whistling while a player is down or during the rack.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have been to two or three cups (I honestly forget) in Vegas and I just never got into the whole manufactured hype thing. The Euros do that stuff because by the second match the whole crowd is blasted.

If matchroom wants an equal crowd they should do it in Philly and have two for one beer night.

Apparently I can't give you any more rep.

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

NOW you are talking... let the Jimmy and Pete Fusco be co captains and have them bring the "crew" for security.... NO one would be for the Euros by the end of the night (LOL)

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

Two for one beer night?!?! I'm gonna start driving to Philly right now just incase.

RShellhouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to clear this up. Johan was whistling after the rack was won by Melling. There is no way a guy like him would participate in whistling while a player is down or during the rack.

Yes however when you watch the replay Shuff leans over the table to break and over his shoulder you see Johan puts his fingers and wolf whistles...it was fine until Shuff steps to the table and literally Shuff bending down is what makes Johan visable....

I never said it was intentional just the fact it happened

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Yeah, those Europeans...

I was so sick of hearing that one guy yelling "EUROPE!!" constantly to the point where Michaela has to tell him to shut up...

Especially during Johnny's match

Yeah, you'd never hear Americans screaming "USA! USA!" at a sports event. We're far too mature, humble and polite.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have been to two or tthe more seeriohree cups (I honestly forget) in Vegas and I just never got into the whole manufactured hype thing. The Euros do that stuff because by the second match the whole crowd is blasted.

I think you may be onto something here, JCIN. Perhaps American fans need to drink more during events, or not ....

Seriously, though, this is a made-for-TV circus event that thrilled us. Still, I'm glad it's just once a year. Even two of these a year might drain it of its electricity.

There's room in pool for this kind of event, for tournaments having
huge, elite fields, and for the one-on-one matchups that TAR brings us.

As a result of their matches at Mohegan Sun and at the Mosconi Cup, the Appleton - Shane rivalry has reached a very high level, and TAR 30 is gonna be great for me and others who purchase it, and when it's over we'll see both of them at Derby City.

I like the way all these events might be able to feed off each other's energy.