The AZB New Book List

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
My book "One Pocket: A Game of Controlled Aggression" is still available.
Contact me at trwirth369@gmail.com

Tom...

Is there an option to get a hardcover bound version of this book? I already have a crease in the plastic cover of mine from carrying it in my backpack. Something like how "Winning One Pocket" is bound.

This is a book I want to keep for a long time and would not mind paying a premium for a nice bound version that will hold up long term.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom...

Is there an option to get a hardcover bound version of this book? I already have a crease in the plastic cover of mine from carrying it in my backpack. Something like how "Winning One Pocket" is bound.

This is a book I want to keep for a long time and would not mind paying a premium for a nice bound version that will hold up long term.

Thank you Russ, for your kind thoughts regarding my book.
It would take a strong demand for this to happen. The price for printing small quantities whether spiral bound or hard cover is quite high. I can look into it but I"m doubtful it's going to happen. You might just want to buy another copy of my spiral bound book and keep it pristine. If you wish, I will sign and date it for you.
Keep your original as your work book.

I will offer a discount for repeat orders to those of you who wish to keep pristine copies.

Just contact me for details.
trwirth369@gmail.com

BTW The plastic cover can be replaced quite easily. Take the book to a print shop and they should be able to help you.

Tom

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Thank you Russ, for your kind thoughts regarding my book.
It would take a strong demand for this to happen. The price for printing small quantities whether spiral bound or hard cover is quite high. I can look into it but I"m doubtful it's going to happen. You might just want to buy another copy of my spiral bound book and keep it pristine. If you wish, I will sign and date it for you.
Keep your original as your work book.

I will offer a discount for repeat orders to those of you who wish to keep pristine copies.

Just contact me for details.
trwirth369@gmail.com

BTW The plastic cover can be replaced quite easily. Take the book to a print shop and they should be able to help you.

Tom

So.. Any chance of getting the loose pages before they get hole-punched? Then I can pay for the binding myself... :)

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You might just want to buy another copy of my spiral bound book and keep it pristine. [/B]
Tom
What I did. Bought 2. (however one ended up on each floor)
So.. Any chance of getting the loose pages before they get hole-punched? Then I can pay for the binding myself... :)
This will be a one-of-a-kind book. I commend you for personalizing/customizing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, I got the book. It is entirely shots from English Billiards -- which few of you have ever seen or will ever play -- and snooker. The diagrams appear to be from some other source and have been scaled so the table is wider than a 1:2 ratio. There are 48 diagrams on 24 sheets so the book is rather thin. There is no explanation of the shots other than the title on each page. One of the diagrams is repeated and two of the titles are swapped.

Stay away. The author should be ashamed but probably is not.

Here is a book I just ran across but have not bought yet. Has anyone seen it? It was published last October.

Does anyone know the author, Henry Powers? He seems to be from the Boston area.

View attachment 509562

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tim Ander, How to Play Pool

How to Play Pool
Tim Ander
ISBN 9781549709258
No publication info, presumably self-published and printed on demand
CropperCapture[236].png

45 pages with large, wide-spaced print and quite a few pictures.

The author tries to cover everything, from the rules of snooker to the force vectors involved in each shot. He covers nothing well. He evidently is not familiar with how to play any game which makes the section on rules problematic. I suppose you could give this book to a beginner if you wanted to discourage them -- it's not expensive.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Yoga of Pool
by Paul Rodney Turner
118 pp, paperback, about 6x9 inches
CropperCapture[238].png

Sorry, I don't have much good to say lately, and this book is not going to turn the tide. I'm prejudiced against pool authors who wrap themselves in some kind of moral or mystical or monkish robes. I'm also irritated by this particular author when he tries to do physics and it comes out puppy poo, but that's just a few pages, and maybe that's just me.

This book is mostly psychological positive-thinking self-help buzz-stuff. There are other authors who do that a lot better for less money. He also teaches you how to emphasize words in what you say to your opponents to take control of their minds. Really.

If you don't already have Byrne, Martin, Capelle, Mosconi, Alciatore, Gallwey, Fancher, and Fels, get those before even start to think about wasting your money here. Unless you want to know about the mind control stuff, but even there the NSA and the Trilateral Commission have much more powerful methods.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a relatively recent (2014) book I have not seen offered by the usual sources.

s-l500.jpg

The author is very structured in his approach to the game, breaking it down to various categories of things to be learned and worked on, including physical conditioning. I think this book would be best for someone who was very serious about improving, is already prepared to put in the time, and needs an outline of how to proceed.

ISBN-10: 098620840X
Author: Miller, Jon
Publisher: Attribute Training LLC
Publication Year: 2014
Number Of Pages: 354
Binding: Paperback
Dimensions: 8x0.84x10 Inches

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure where I got this one.

Here is the title page. According to the text the author is from Sacramento but I don't recall ever seeing him at Terry Stonier's Jointed Cue. He says he is a scuba diver and mountain lion breeder. I don't find his instruction clear, accurate or useful. In his diagrams, the balls are the size of watermelons and the pockets are bushel baskets to match.

Since it is from 1980, and I have never seen a copy go by on Ebay, this one is going to be a little hard to find.

Misc 001.jpg

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a relatively recent (2014) book I have not seen offered by the usual sources.

View attachment 517875

The author is very structured in his approach to the game, breaking it down to various categories of things to be learned and worked on, including physical conditioning. I think this book would be best for someone who was very serious about improving, is already prepared to put in the time, and needs an outline of how to proceed.

ISBN-10: 098620840X
Author: Miller, Jon
Publisher: Attribute Training LLC
Publication Year: 2014
Number Of Pages: 354
Binding: Paperback
Dimensions: 8x0.84x10 Inches

Love your reviews. The idea of breaking down pool into different parts and training them specifically seems solid to me. This is how you train for other sports. Football guys for example don't just play foot ball... they work on specifics to make them better players. When I raced bikes I didn't just ride... I did different things on different days to make me a better rider...climbing, sprints, endurance training, easy recovery rides etc. Most of it heart rate based.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I the late 70’s good books were hard to come by. ...
Well, Martin and Byrne were both available by 1978. Before that we did have reasonable if basic instruction in Mosconi, Knuchell, Cottingham, and maybe Lassiter. It's surprising that the boom from the Hustler didn't bring out more authors.

As for the two books pictured, it's generally a bad sign when an author doesn't put his name on the cover.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1978 I was in London and found this book. It was the first book that I found that detailed the mechanics of cueing.

9E584F87-BE78-48FC-94B6-C4867C126623.jpeg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In 1978 I was in London and found this book. It was the first book that I found detailed the mechanics of cueing.

Bill Stroud credits that book by Joe Davis for his mechanics and aiming. And Joe explained how throw affects aiming which many people at that time -- and some people today -- thought was baloney. The mechanics part of that book was actually published in 1950 in Davis' book, "How I Play Snooker."

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obtaining knowledge is a big deal with me, because I still play a lot. I grew up playing Pool, from 1956 'til now. I still learn something new, watching YouTube or reading the Pool Books that are available. If your bag of tricks is mostly empty & a $30 book is all that's needed, for you to learn some more... Here, you can have my $30....

Dr. Cue, Dr. Dave, Tor Lowry & Heath Manning are very good with their instructional videos, about the rails. You can learn a lifetime of banking & kicking info from that ol' Hoppe book (copy 1941), the Big Green one..

Learning is fun & can be profitable....