The Biggest reason Lower level players can't improve ????

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Like I said I do not get you Perfect Aiming, saw the DVD Fast Larry had, it was nothing earth shaking. Sort of difficult to understand. IMHO a instruction DVD should make ideas easy to grasp, not confuse people.

IMHO it an aiming system is just one tool nessessary to build a home. It is not some holy greatly tool that does everything like a migicians magic wand. Magic is not real, it is an illusion with slight of hand, and or props with trick compartments.

Geno you did not reply to why your DVD is not on the web-site of say Serberts, PoolDawgs etc. Could it be they see noting they want to stand behind but smoke & mirrors?

Let's just say your DVD is not a popular as Master Chalk, that everyone has for sale.

Please move you sale pitch to For Sale Section. That is where thing change hand for money.

BTW ever hear of Jerry Brieseth? He is a teacher, who actually gets results if people do as instructed. You know what his lesson are all about? Basic, not advance anything. He builds foundations to build upon.

BTW if you can not swing $300.00 for a personal 4 hour lesson, he sell a basic DVD. Under $25.00, master it, be better then most Nuckelheads. But you got to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Easy to understand, comprehend able for most who have eyes & ears.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When giving a lesson I sometimes use this method when nothing else seems to work. Stand in the preshot and be in your starting position with your body turned to 2:00 if your right handed. Move your head over so you are lined up in the preshot. Doing this will kinda get the body where it needs to be and will help get the eyes there naturally. Come down on the shot looking at the object ball, keeping the cue ball in your line of sight. Once down you can look at the cue ball and get the cue where it needs to be exactly. If you kept your head still the shot will still look as good as it did when you first got down.

Unfortunately there are not 2 or 3 best ways to do things executing a pool shot.

If your eyes and alignment isn't good nothing seems to work well.
You might be horrified at my current method but trust me it works. It basically states that you can't trust your eyes and takes steps to to insure correct cue placement and shooter alignment.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
You might be horrified at my current method but trust me it works. It basically states that you can't trust your eyes and takes steps to to insure correct cue placement and shooter alignment.

Well I get what you are saying, not everyone foot is the same. So some people love Justin Boots, but other they do not work for, because the fit is not right for your foot.

Di It, what works for you.

Flowerbomb

Sorry in advance, if I step on anyone's post here. I didn't read through the 38 pages of posts. 🙂

I think one of the biggest reasons lower level players don't improve is because they find contentment.
Like, they'll reach a certain level of success. They'll win some games at a local bar or they'll be ranked fairly high on their team or in a league, then they're like "Ok, I'm awesome!"
Maybe they get pretty good at making shots but they haven't even began to understand the strategy and mental side of the game.

I don't know 😊 just my 2 cents!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Sorry in advance, if I step on anyone's post here. I didn't read through the 38 pages of posts. 🙂

I think one of the biggest reasons lower level players don't improve is because they find contentment.
Like, they'll reach a certain level of success. They'll win some games at a local bar or they'll be ranked fairly high on their team or in a league, then they're like "Ok, I'm awesome!"
Maybe they get pretty good at making shots but they haven't even began to understand the strategy and mental side of the game.

I don't know 😊 just my 2 cents!

Well you are right in your observations, some people just enjoy Pool, like others enjoy Golf, it recreation. They know they will never be World Class, or on PGA Tour because they have jobs, family, financial commitments, and thing that take priority in life.

Leigh

Registered
Back to the original question, gentlemen: why don’t lowers skill players improve? I’m very interested in your answers. As a lower skilled player that has been playing for two years. I feel solidly stuck as an APA 5. And I practice a lot. I did take some thing away from the poster who said something about not spending time practicing the shots you know… Maybe I do a little bit of this.
I just posted under “ask the instructor” asking for advice on how to spend practice time.
And Gene’s original answer mentions eye dominance, and I’m strongly opposite eye dominant, but I feel like I line up correctly and see my shots correctly. (Some say it doesn’t matter, I don’t know. What I know for sure is that when I shoot left-handed, which I do for those shots I can’t reach right handed, it is a lot more comfortable position for my neck.)
But I mostly want advice on specifically how to practice.
Thanks for everyone taking the time to give their opinions.
Leigh

Last edited:

jondrums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking as someone who isn't leaving the house to play pool for the past 8 months - my progress is limited because I am losing patience with doing drills and often have more fun just pocketing balls and trying to run racks. There has been no external pressure to focus on avoiding mistakes because I'm not competing with anyone else. Unfortunately this is a death spiral because when focus lags, I can't run balls and that makes me frustrated, further killing my focus.

Progression comes and goes as I find new drills that get me competitive with myself and pushing to achieve a higher level of performance on that type of drill. The best drills are the ones with a score of some kind to achieve a new best score. Eventually I get bored/frustrated with the drill though because it becomes increasingly difficult to beat my prior best on any given try.

I guess I am saying that competition is what really fuels progression for me - it was easy to set a goal to beat someone else on the table. Without that competitive crutch, I have to create self-competition to achieve.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Back to the original question, gentlemen: why don’t lowers skill players improve? I’m very interested in your answers. As a lower skilled player that has been playing for two years. I feel solidly stuck as an APA 5. And I practice a lot. I did take some thing away from the poster who said something about not spending time practicing the shots you know… Maybe I do a little bit of this.
I just posted under “ask the instructor” asking for advice on how to spend practice time.
And Gene’s original answer mentions eye dominance, and I’m strongly opposite eye dominant, but I feel like I line up correctly and see my shots correctly. (Some say it doesn’t matter, I don’t know. What I know for sure is that when I shoot left-handed, which I do for those shots I can’t reach right handed, it is a lot more comfortable position for my neck.)
Leigh
Bert Kinister said this:
"Some pool players are predators and some are warriors. Ya know the difference between a predator and a warrior is a predator hunts food ya know and a warrior hunts men. Be a warrior. Whatever happens don't be the food. Don't be the food. Be a predator and be a warrior, don't be dinner kids."

Do you want to be a predator or a warrior? Answer this to yourself, you don't have to post it here on the forum. If the answer is no, then don't worry about it. Improve as you will, have fun and don't worry too much. If you want to be a predator or a warrior, do as a kitten does. Play with your food during practice, practice your strike, practice the kill. Once a kitten plays enough, they go on a real hunt. They miss a lot. The hunger eventually drives them to their peak form where they deliver the kill in one stroke.

A predator doesn't jerk. A predator waits until they know the kill is a certainty then they strike. Don't shoot until you are certain the OB drops and the CB lies where you want it. Don't jerk, but strike, whether it is a soft strike or powerful strike. A predator doesn't waste energy. If a soft swipe will get them lunch, that's what they do, they don't believe in overkill. Think of a baby deer first standing, it jerks. Prey jerks. Again, a predator delivers the blow (be it soft or hard) only when they know it's the correct shot.

Get your mind in predator mode. You might be still batting the mouse like a kitten, but know why you are doing it and have a purpose (to build your hunting ability) and your strike, don't just bat the mouse for mental masturbation. The goal is the food. (Focus)

It's all a mind trick, but if you get into "predator" mode while practicing and playing, you'll get much better results. It's in your DNA.

Gene's perfect aim system gets your aim correct, IE you see the prey clearly and see it's vital parts instead of attacking it's tail, your going for it's jugular.

So my advice on how to specifically practice is do it like a predator. How you choose to toy with the mouse as a kitten isn't as important as doing it with a clear goal. Did the mouse get away because you forgot to pounce at the right time? Work on timing. Work on speed, work on aim, work on whatever is giving you a problem. Only the cat knows where it's weakness lies and only the cat can improve that weakness so it can get the food.

It sounds ridiculous I know, but if I'm feeling unsure of a shot I think to myself, don't jerk, strike. Again, it's a mental trick, but it makes me focus on the correct aim, speed, spin, etc. It puts my mind into a more primal mode where laziness doesn't exist. I don't want the food to get away. Don't jerk, strike.

Lower level players don't improve because they aren't hungry like a predator. Stoke your hunger.

Leigh

Registered
Bert Kinister said this:
"Some pool players are predators and some are warriors. Ya know the difference between a predator and a warrior is a predator hunts food ya know and a warrior hunts men. Be a warrior. Whatever happens don't be the food. Don't be the food. Be a predator and be a warrior, don't be dinner kids."

Do you want to be a predator or a warrior? Answer this to yourself, you don't have to post it here on the forum. If the answer is no, then don't worry about it. Improve as you will, have fun and don't worry too much. If you want to be a predator or a warrior, do as a kitten does. Play with your food during practice, practice your strike, practice the kill. Once a kitten plays enough, they go on a real hunt. They miss a lot. The hunger eventually drives them to their peak form where they deliver the kill in one stroke.

A predator doesn't jerk. A predator waits until they know the kill is a certainty then they strike. Don't shoot until you are certain the OB drops and the CB lies where you want it. Don't jerk, but strike, whether it is a soft strike or powerful strike. A predator doesn't waste energy. If a soft swipe will get them lunch, that's what they do, they don't believe in overkill. Think of a baby deer first standing, it jerks. Prey jerks. Again, a predator delivers the blow (be it soft or hard) only when they know it's the correct shot.

Get your mind in predator mode. You might be still batting the mouse like a kitten, but know why you are doing it and have a purpose (to build your hunting ability) and your strike, don't just bat the mouse for mental masturbation. The goal is the food. (Focus)

It's all a mind trick, but if you get into "predator" mode while practicing and playing, you'll get much better results. It's in your DNA.

Gene's perfect aim system gets your aim correct, IE you see the prey clearly and see it's vital parts instead of attacking it's tail, your going for it's jugular.

So my advice on how to specifically practice is do it like a predator. How you choose to toy with the mouse as a kitten isn't as important as doing it with a clear goal. Did the mouse get away because you forgot to pounce at the right time? Work on timing. Work on speed, work on aim, work on whatever is giving you a problem. Only the cat knows where it's weakness lies and only the cat can improve that weakness so it can get the food.

It sounds ridiculous I know, but if I'm feeling unsure of a shot I think to myself, don't jerk, strike. Again, it's a mental trick, but it makes me focus on the correct aim, speed, spin, etc. It puts my mind into a more primal mode where laziness doesn't exist. I don't want the food to get away. Don't jerk, strike.

Lower level players don't improve because they aren't hungry like a predator. Stoke your hunger.
I love this. This really resonates with me because as a former athlete I really want to go into beast mode when I’m practicing. On the funny side, my husband makes fun of me and says I approach the ball like I’m stalking and hunting. Now I’m going to think of this as a good thing instead of hearing Elmer Fudd’s voice “we are hunting wabbits!”

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Met a young different person 30 plus years ago. Most people with his disabilities would have accomplished not much in life.

I said he was "different"as he was born with abnormal hands, a deformed leg, his good leg had foot deformativity. Parents had bad left amputate just below knee, had the boy fitter with artificial leg. Hand left say did not have normal fingers, one had a single long thum, the other had only teo deformed fingers.

Parents did not allow "different" kid to act disabled. They told him to figure out how to accomplish simple tastes for normal people. Like holding tooth brush, buttoning shirt, tiring shoes.

Kid figure it all out, improvised, adapted, overcame. Was first NCAA Division One Athlete with (4) Bad Limbs. Not sure if he could figure out to play pool, but I am sure if the game interested him, he would be better then average.

Like in Tennis, got full 4 year Schlorship at Div. One School, and beat many "normal folks".

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love this. This really resonates with me because as a former athlete I really want to go into beast mode when I’m practicing. On the funny side, my husband makes fun of me and says I approach the ball like I’m stalking and hunting. Now I’m going to think of this as a good thing instead of hearing Elmer Fudd’s voice “we are hunting wabbits!”
Good insight.....

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Like I said I do not get you Perfect Aiming, saw the DVD Fast Larry had, it was nothing earth shaking. Sort of difficult to understand. IMHO a instruction DVD should make ideas easy to grasp, not confuse people.

IMHO it an aiming system is just one tool nessessary to build a home. It is not some holy greatly tool that does everything like a migicians magic wand. Magic is not real, it is an illusion with slight of hand, and or props with trick compartments.

Geno you did not reply to why your DVD is not on the web-site of say Serberts, PoolDawgs etc. Could it be they see noting they want to stand behind but smoke & mirrors?

Let's just say your DVD is not a popular as Master Chalk, that everyone has for sale.

Please move you sale pitch to For Sale Section. That is where thing change hand for money.

BTW ever hear of Jerry Brieseth? He is a teacher, who actually gets results if people do as instructed. You know what his lesson are all about? Basic, not advance anything. He builds foundations to build upon.

BTW if you can not swing $300.00 for a personal 4 hour lesson, he sell a basic DVD. Under $25.00, master it, be better then most Nuckelheads. But you got to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Easy to understand, comprehend able for most who have eyes & ears.
I suspect you don't really know as much about teaching pool. I suspect more nobody has ever paid you for a lesson or even bothered to ask your advice. But, by all means, tell us of your pool prowess that you completely understand good pool instruction from bad. That you can even understand the concepts Geno is trying to convey. His idea will NOT work for everyone, as not everyone has sighting issues. But, if someone cannot make or really dislikes straight in shots, they have a sighting issue or a stroke issue. But, even without a perfect stroke, good sighting is going to help the mediocre league player tremendously. You can knock Geno all day long. He's done more for pool and has won more in pool in a few years than you have done your entire life in pool. Anytime you want to play Geno, just name the time and place. I will personally FLY him to play you. You can copy and paste this as proof. You will need to open your wallet though, we are not betting moths ;)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I suspect you don't really know as much about teaching pool. I suspect more nobody has ever paid you for a lesson or even bothered to ask your advice. But, by all means, tell us of your pool prowess that you completely understand good pool instruction from bad. That you can even understand the concepts Geno is trying to convey. His idea will NOT work for everyone, as not everyone has sighting issues. But, if someone cannot make or really dislikes straight in shots, they have a sighting issue or a stroke issue. But, even without a perfect stroke, good sighting is going to help the mediocre league player tremendously. You can knock Geno all day long. He's done more for pool and has won more in pool in a few years than you have done your entire life in pool. Anytime you want to play Geno, just name the time and place. I will personally FLY him to play you. You can copy and paste this as proof. You will need to open your wallet though, we are not betting moths ;)

Like I said I watch the DVD several times, Geno's Perfect Aiming DVD to not confuse you. I personally saw zero that was new, or exciting. So have you actually view the DVD, or are you an expert on the content because someone else said it was great.

I know people who love McDonald's Burgers, I think they are crap. I like In n Out much better, but that is call it my personal fast food Burger favorite.

Opinion are like noses, most people have a nose & opinion on things.

Why would I need open my wallet, I do not play for money, it's not my thing.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leigh
You won't get real answers unless you buy into the program. The rest is advertising. One thing to note, the topic seems to be aimed at people who've been in the field and want to transition into the "winners" bracket. Be that as it may; your dime.
On practicing, people want to get on the fast track and get to the promised land right now. It doesn't happen like that. Patience is everything.
Anyway one easy drill is throw the tray out and shoot the balls back in. All the vets I've been around do it. So what's the value in that? Well what they're doing is specific calibration of their abilities besides just loosening up. You can benefit on many levels just shooting ducks as precisely as you can.
Things to keep in mind:
1) actual object ball direction
2) actual cue ball dirction
I use the word <actual> to emphasize that pool is about precision and getting ahead a little, confidence springs from not having to worry about it.
It's painless, gratifying, and has far reaching consequences in the quality of your craft.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said I watch the DVD several times, Geno's Perfect Aiming DVD to not confuse you. I personally saw zero that was new, or exciting. So have you actually view the DVD, or are you an expert on the content because someone else said it was great.

How can a guy get Geno's DVD? How much is it? What website sells it? Is it basically the same material that he would cover in a face-to-face lesson?

r/DCP

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

I know people who love McDonald's Burgers, I think they are crap. I like In n Out much better, but that is call it my personal fast food Burger favorite.

You won't get real answers unless you buy into the program. The rest is advertising. One thing to note, the topic seems to be aimed at people who've been in the field and want to transition into the "winners" bracket. Be that as it may; your dime.
On practicing, people want to get on the fast track and get to the promised land right now. It doesn't happen like that. Patience is everything.
Anyway one easy drill is throw the tray out and shoot the balls back in. All the vets I've been around do it. So what's the value in that? Well what they're doing is specific calibration of their abilities besides just loosening up. You can benefit on many levels just shooting ducks as precisely as you can.
Things to keep in mind:
1) actual object ball direction
2) actual cue ball dirction
I use the word <actual> to emphasize that pool is about precision and getting ahead a little, confidence springs from not having to worry about it.
It's painless, gratifying, and has far reaching consequences in the quality of your craft.

Well the secret to being great or very good at most thing, unless your handicapped is simple.

Devote your life to a game, profession, sport, etc. that plus a little is all you need do.

Those who are handicapped have something else to over come. Some event with handicaps become successful.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, plus some luck & breaks.

No magic pills for sale, if there were everyone could take, and be world class.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well the secret to being great or very good at most thing, unless your handicapped is simple.

Devote your life to a game, profession, sport, etc. that plus a little is all you need do.

Those who are handicapped have something else to over come. Some event with handicaps become successful.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, plus some luck & breaks.

No magic pills for sale, if there were everyone could take, and be world class.
Yeah motivation or what motivates you is everything.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

So, I take that you don't want to play Geno then? Yeah, didn't think so. You just saved me $500 in airfare. But, it would have been worth every penny. Yeah, we get it, you don't like it. You've only said it FUKING 25 times now. So, a nobody from nowhere who has won nothing is saying Geno's training is "crap". Yup, that should put a real halt to sales coming from an authority such as yourself. Most times in AZB you are barely coherent but man, when it's time to crap on a thread, you perk right up. LMAO

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said......does the DVD set contain the exact same stuff you would get if you took a face-to-face lesson with Gene?

r/DCP