The document of our pool related road trip across the U.S. updated daily

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
The best way to ensure that particular PPV would never be matched in popularity is if you and John wear the same heels, jeans, and cute little going-out top I will be wearing. You will both look faaaaaabulous, I promise! :grin-square:

I just lost my lunch.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
RHEA v OMGWTF

POST #680
There is no way she would agree to the weight I would need in order for a fair match she is light years ahead of my speed I cant even beat the 4 ball ghost yet.

@ RHEA - this would be a hot match, if Gene allows you to play. it would showcase both of yáll & Perfect Aim.

@ OMGWTF - if Rhea won't stepup, i'll take you. i've already thrown (away) $1K at you. i'l give you the 7 & out....

:rolleyes:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before I met Gene

I began playing pool at the age of 19 at a place called Ride the Rail in St Louis, MO in 1995. The first couple years I just shot 8 ball on a valley cougar maybe once a month for an hour or so. In 1997 I finally decided I wanted to try the 9 foot table. That is when I learned that many of the players there actually gamble at pool and it intrigued me even more. Most people offered me enormous spots to get me to play with them. By 1998 I was fired from my job and began playing pool every day.

One day I was at a place called Afton Billiards and was playing a guy named Jim the Painter, He made a bet with me that he would put up $200 if I could beat him in a race to 9 while spotting me the wild 7 vs if I lost I had to sign up for the U.S. Army. He had a recruiter there watching the match. I lost and I signed up as I promised. I only stuck it out for 3 years but when I got out I came back to St Louis and began playing pool again regularly.

My first job outside of the service in 2002 was at a call center selling AT&T Wireless, I was rather good at sales and was the top earner for several months with giant commission checks that I used to fuel my passion for gambling at pool. I started playing 9-ball and stopped playing 8-ball as often. I would play anyone who walked in the door. An A- player back then could spot me the last 5 and I still had no chance as running 3 balls in order was unlikely for me.

Then the real danger began, in 2003 when I found a new game called 1 pocket where even more people gambled. I played Ryan Huelsman from Cahokia IL that game and he gave me the silliest spot of 40-3 and I had no chance. His friend JP that was with him gave me the same spot with the same results. I was terrible, but I kept trying I played everyone at any pool game offered.

One day I played Jarod at Ride the Rail. We played 8-8 1 pocket but he was giving me 4 games on the wire going to 5. I just needed to win 1 even game. Jarod posted $500 with Ron who worked there. I put up the title to my van along with the keys. On the 5th rack everything seemed to be going my way I only needed 1 ball with a ball sitting deep in my hole and Jarod still needed all 8. Jarod pulled off a really odd shot where the ball came up onto the rail and dropped back down on top of the ball in my hole shooting it straight for his hole and the cb bounced back onto the table and rolled toward the spot. Needless to say Jarod ran 8 and out after that and I gave him my Van.

He started doing donuts in the parking lot with the van. After that I quit pool for a few years. In 2004 I began my own buisiness which I ran successfully for 3 years. Eventually when the market was saturated in 2007 I began going to the poolroom again. There was a whole new batch of patrons at the poolroom I was used to going to. I met Coty who was the only B- player at the poolroom in 2007 everyone else except for Ron who worked there was a C or C+.

I began playing 9 ball again gambling once a week on the weekends with anyone who would play for money. Some of the weaker players played me even and anyone who was a C+ or better gave me a spot. In 2008 I got a job at Ride the Rail billiards and on my days off I was able to play. By now I was playing almost every single day and starting to get better, I was now a solid C player there and even capable of winning an 8 ball tournament for C players occasionally. Before 2008 was over I was let go.

So I began to seek new employment and I got hired at a temp agency as a computer technician for $17/hr. I was a subcontractor for IBM and had to install all the double screens at Meryl Lynch downtown. After that I got a job for AIG selling life & accidental insurance. I only stuck with that job for a couple months but I was able to get a real nice brand new car with a GPS.

When I left that job I decided I was gonna try to go on the road with the money I saved up. This old guy at the poolroom named Jimmy needed a ride to Knoxville TN. I agreed to drop him off there and start my journey in Knoxville.

I ended up staying in TN for 6 months. During that time I also went as far as Alabama, Georgia, and even the Derby City Classic. I never competed in any of the big events but I always took someone with me and funded them in the tournaments for a split of what they made. I did however play 8 ball at every bar I could along the way for $5 here and there. I also cashed in 1 out of every 3 8-ball bar box tournament I got in and I was chasing a tournament every single day of the week to keep money in my pocket.

When I left TN and came back to St Louis I played a guy named Fish. He used to be able to spot me quite a bit of weight before I went to TN but after I came back I was probably a C+. I got him to spot me the wild 7 and beat him out of $400 on the first night I came back to STL.

I stayed in St Louis for about 6 more months before I went dead broke. Then I got a job at a bar as a cook. The bar had pool tables in it and an APA league. I joined the league and played as a 5. I didnt really like the league it costed $7 to play a match plus you had to put quarters in the table it was all a big money sink in my opinion. I ended up having to quit that job after a couple months because the repo people would have figured out where I park my car. So I took a job at another bar in Herculaneum MO where I worked for a year and a half. That bar closed down but I did play pool once a week in their local tournament and got 1st place in the tournament on numerous weeks during that year and a half.

I ended up going to U-City and quit pool for another year after that. Then I got a job at Taco Bell for 1 month. My mom called me one day from New Mexico and told me there was a call center hiring down the street from where she lived named Victoria Secret Direct. She sent me a bus ticket and told me to just quit Taco Bell.

So then I moved in with her in Oct 2011. I got the job at Victoria Secret on Halloween day. I worked there a year and then a big bank bought the call center and converted the employees to a new role if they elected to stay. I chose to become a bill collector. and worked there for 9 months. In January 2013 my friend convinced me to compete at Rustys in Arlington TX, it was my first WBPA Qualifier I had ever competed in. I ended up getting 13th place, and then the next day I played in the 2nd chance tournament and got 1st place. In March 2013 I drove to Phoenix AZ to play in the AWBT and ended up getting 9th place. and then the next day I played in the 2nd chance tournament and got 1st place. Then in May I drove 14 hours to Katy TX. I made it through the first day undefeated. The 2nd day I won my first match and made it to the match for the hot seat with Si Ming Chen. She beat me 7-0. Then I lost my next match 7-4. So I ended up taking 3rd place out of 46 women.

Then I got a promotion at work my last day in NM was scheduled for the end of June. I packed up my stuff and drove to a tournament at Jamaica Joes in Oklahoma. There I drew Nicole Keeney as my first match and I lost 7-1. My next match I lost 7-6. and so I headed to Da Bar where I won 1st place in their local tournament. Then I left OK and headed to MO stopped in Barnhardt and matched up with Shelby Locatti, she was coming back from Tunica MS. We ended up breaking even. Then I visited my old boss in St Louis MO and he gave me a ring from his coin shop.

Then I drove the rest of the way to Columbus Ohio my new job was in Westerville Ohio and I began work on July 3rd. I worked a split shift so every day in between shifts I would drive to Whitehall and play on Chris Bartrams table until I met Gene.

i have followed this thread and also genes from the beginning. i kinda came up to a conclusion about you a while back and this post really confirmed my opinion.

you have 2 serious issues.

1. you are addicted to pool. i think everyone on this forum is addicted to pool to an extent but no has taken it to the extent you have. you have no problem abandoning anything and everything at the drop of a pin to play pool. that displays a serious addiction.

2. you are a gambling addict. you will gamble with anyone at anytime. you are willing to to put up any possesion you have or your last dollar just to get in a match you don't have a chance in hell to win.that displays a serious addiction.

i hope gene helps you get those issues under control. good luck to you .

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She does have some real issues

i have followed this thread and also genes from the beginning. i kinda came up to a conclusion about you a while back and this post really confirmed my opinion.

1. you are addicted to pool. i think everyone on this forum is addicted to pool to an extent but no has taken it to the extent you have. you have no problem abandoning anything and everything at the drop of a pin to play pool. that displays a serious addiction.

2. you are a gambling addict. you will gamble with anyone at anytime. you are willing to to put up any possesion you have or your last dollar just to get in a match you don't have a chance in hell to win.that displays a serious addiction.

First tonight I beat a guy out of $100 at Smokin Cue. Rhea was with me and couldn't hardly stand it that she couldn't play. All tables were full.

Then I played with her for about an hour. I missed a few times on purpose so she could run out but then i put the hammer down to show her how little the spot means with a better player. She is catching on to that idea.

Then we went to 150 something poolhall. No action there.

Went to another pool hall and I spotted a guy named eric the 7 ball and 1 game in a race to 7 for $50 per set. He said he was a 4 but played pretty sporty. I gave him the spot to push myself and outrun the nutz.

i won 3 sets on the hill. It was a good workout. The pills i am taking to stop my siezures are doing wonders for my pool game and I'm loving it.

But the minute we walked in Rhea was already talking to them to try and get a game. i told her before we went in there that if we need to run a race we need the fastest horse in the race. That's me for sure. Not her for sure.

She already has talked to them about matching up with a young lady there that plays pretty good.

Rhea can out shoot her but this gal plays pretty smart and is playing cat and mouse with Rhea with the safes.

I got a ride back to Charlotte and left Rhea there to continue her quest to beat this gal.

I asked her if she thought she could win. Famous last words were " Of Course".

Playing races to 7 for $100 she's down 2 sets.

Good luck with that.

I'm going to bed.

Birriards

Banned
First tonight I beat a guy out of $100 at Smokin Cue. Rhea was with me and couldn't hardly stand it that she couldn't play. All tables were full.

Then I played with her for about an hour. I missed a few times on purpose so she could run out but then i put the hammer down to show her how little the spot means with a better player. She is catching on to that idea.

Then we went to 150 something poolhall. No action there.

Went to another pool hall and I spotted a guy named eric the 7 ball and 1 game in a race to 7 for $50 per set. He said he was a 4 but played pretty sporty. I gave him the spot to push myself and outrun the nutz.

i won 3 sets on the hill. It was a good workout. The pills i am taking to stop my siezures are doing wonders for my pool game and I'm loving it.

But the minute we walked in Rhea was already talking to them to try and get a game. i told her before we went in there that if we need to run a race we need the fastest horse in the race. That's me for sure. Not her for sure.

She already has talked to them about matching up with a young lady there that plays pretty good.

Rhea can out shoot her but this gal plays pretty smart and is playing cat and mouse with Rhea with the safes.

I got a ride back to Charlotte and left Rhea there to continue her quest to beat this gal.

I asked her if she thought she could win. Famous last words were " Of Course".

Playing races to 7 for $100 she's down 2 sets.

Good luck with that.

I'm going to bed.

The girl is a born loser and has no brains when it comes to gambling. It's pretty obvious to anyone here that is paying attention even in passing, especially after reading the biography she posted... How many dollars will it cost you before you wise up?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
it's been a struggle but she is starting to come around.

We argue a little but I don't give an inch.

Your spot on with your assessment This is not just teaching Rhea how to play but changing the mindset totally so she can survive once I'm gone.

Plus trying to hang on to my ars while i'm with her on the road.

This is the biggest challenge i have had in my life but it has been fun.

The road never gets old for me, just a little bumpy sometimes.

The more right moves we make out here the smoother it is.

thanks again.

No problem, good luck. Hope you make it to Chicago again. Maybe someone will actually give you some action this time :)

One-pocket Fan

Registered
Will you be coming down to Brown's billiards for the Q-city tour this Saturday? May be a chance for Gene to give a few lessons and might want to match up with Robert Ray.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

Unlikely. A gambling addiction (like any addiction) doesn't change by trying to do it "smarter." That only digs the hole deeper.

The only cure is to stop gambling entirely. "Oh, but all she needs to do is learn how to match up!" you say. Learning how to match up isn't the problem. She knows how to match up...but the gambling addiction won't let her do it. The reason a person can't say "No" to a bad deal isn't because they don't understand it's a bad deal...it's because their addiction won't let them say "No".

After a year of no gambling (and intense focus on developing playing skills), one can re-introduce gambling, but only as a means-to-an-end of making money. You've kicked the addiction when gambling has no effect on your enjoyment of game; it doesn't add or detract from how you feel about the game, it's just a way of making money.

(I deal with traders every month who have the same problem: their trading the markets is actually a gambling addiction -- they continue to trade whether they're making or losing money (usually losing). I give them the same advice: one year of intense study of the markets without making ANY trades. About half of them are able to re-enter trading as a profession. The other half go back to treating it like gambling.)

Birriards

Banned
Unlikely. A gambling addiction (like any addiction) doesn't change by trying to do it "smarter." That only digs the hole deeper.

The only cure is to stop gambling entirely. "Oh, but all she needs to do is learn how to match up!" you say. Learning how to match up isn't the problem. She knows how to match up...but the gambling addiction won't let her do it. The reason a person can't say "No" to a bad deal isn't because they don't understand it's a bad deal...it's because their addiction won't let them say "No".

After a year of no gambling (and intense focus on developing playing skills), one can re-introduce gambling, but only as a means-to-an-end of making money. You've kicked the addiction when gambling has no effect on your enjoyment of game; it doesn't add or detract from how you feel about the game, it's just a way of making money.

(I deal with traders every month who have the same problem: their trading the markets is actually a gambling addiction -- they continue to trade whether they're making or losing money (usually losing). I give them the same advice: one year of intense study of the markets without making ANY trades. About half of them are able to re-enter trading as a profession. The other half go back to treating it like gambling.)

That's a nice sentiment, but as far as I know, you can't polish a turd.

It's not like Rhay is some world beater that is taking bad games against an Allison Fisher or Karen Corr, she's a C player getting beat by random women in crappy pool rooms in Charlotte.

As they say, the juice isn't worth the squeeze on this one. Why waste a year trying to show a C player how to have a brain when there are thousands of better options for a road partner, including on this board?

This won't last too much longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Not that I give a shit, but dam .....people are worried about Genes decisions. So much that one would think the posters on here are staking this trip. Gene is a grown ass man and I doubt some of the ones posting this BS are as road wise as Gene. I don't know Rhea but I hate hearing people constantly talking shit and belittling someone.
Gene should tell you to f#%k off or send him some money so you have a right to talk shit.
Un- fuggin believable

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member

Gambling on, and hustling, takes a lot of intuition that can't be taught, its built within... Sure, most of it can be taught but most of that falls on deaf ears if they aren't able to grasp the concept of it and intuitively put it into play. Same thing with actually playing pool, with the internet, videos and books about pool, and having so many qualified instructors, everyone has the information they need to play at a pro level but they don't have that "it". SVB, Archer, Efren, etc.... have the "it", they have that thing built in them to make "it" happen. Most people don't and that seems to me to be the case here.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Not that I give a shit, but dam .....people are worried about Genes decisions. So much that one would think the posters on here are staking this trip. Gene is a grown ass man and I doubt some of the ones posting this BS are as road wise as Gene. I don't know Rhea but I hate hearing people constantly talking shit and belittling someone.
Gene should tell you to f#%k off or send him some money so you have a right to talk shit.
Un- fuggin believable

Yup, I agree Pete. Sad how lines are so easily crossed by some here and absolute judgments are assessed.

Gene and Rhea put their road tales and tails out there. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Birriards

Banned
Un- fuggin believable

If you didn't give a shit, why comment?

Also, internet forums would be pretty desolate if people only commented on things that personally mattered to them.

People that aren't looking for public commentary don't post that information on the internet, people that do should expect that some is coming. They can choose to ignore it if they like. Pretty simple.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night I saw the raw will to win..................

Yup, I agree Pete. Sad how lines are so easily crossed by some here and absolute judgments are assessed.

Gene and Rhea put their road tales and tails out there. Pretty cool if you ask me.

As i got done with my game with Eric giving him the 7 ball and a game to the wire going to seven i went over to watch Rhea playing her game.

I was tired as all get out and had to dig done into the bottom of my heart to get the cash. it was only $50 a set but i was trying to work on not dogging it when it came down to crunch time like I did against nevelin the final of the Smokin Cue tourny.

I got it done for sure and two of those sets I was down 6-5 and still got the cash.

As i went over to Rhea's match i realized how really tired i was. I could hardly keep my eyes open.

As i watched i could see Rhea coming into her own. The simple safties I had showed her she was doing over and over and even creating a few of her own,. This little gal she was playing was working her over with a whole bunch of safeties. This is exactly what Rhea needed. To be under fire and be so dog tired that she needed to dig down real deep and be able to still think.

it's real easy to give up mentally when your playing set after set and the other person just keeps coming and coming.

Rhea called me about 9:00 AM and told me she got back to even and the other girl quit. This was pretty cool.

It meant that the $250 that i won tonight we get to keep. The pressure was on Rhea to keep the money and she came through with flying colors.

This whole pool thing can be taught but we're trying to erase a whole lot of flawed thinking here and it hasn't been hard. By putting her story down on the forum here it is obvious to many what i am dealing with here. i knew it wouldn't be easy but the results are starting to appear.

And I couldn't be prouder of our AZ road student here.

She has more will in her little finger than most have in their whole body.

This was a tough situation to put herself in because this gal is an accomplished player in her own right.

Rhea is a grinder and showed the heart of a champion. And players on here are right that some have it and some don't.

Rhea does have it and we just had to dig a little deeper to find it.

One step at a time.

Now we need to add a few more weapons to the arsenal and I do have a few to share.

How does a person measure heart of a pool player?

When your dog tired and you feel like your ass is going to fall off. The person your playing just keeps putting you in tough situations but you just keep getting down and getting the job done. Doing it on a diamond is even better because there is not much room for error.

Your stuck a couple of sets and know you are allowed only one more barrel and you get it done.

This is heart. From right down in the trenches. Something that can't be taught so they say but sometimes if you keep digging the pot of gold just seems to appear.

This was Rheas best win of her pool adventure ever and she only got even but it will set the stage for other battles to come with unsuspecting foes.

Great job...............

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Nice playing Rhea! I can see poppa smurf Gene smiling from here. ;)

How many hours did they play? Like 100? What was ebb and flow of $$ and sets? What was table time? MORE! lol

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
If you didn't give a shit, why comment?

Also, internet forums would be pretty desolate if people only commented on things that personally mattered to them.

People that aren't looking for public commentary don't post that information on the internet, people that do should expect that some is coming. They can choose to ignore it if they like.

Deleted

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Un- fuggin believable

if you are refering to my post i stand by what i said. without going back and checking i think that was only my 2nd post in this thread and the only one that would be considered controversial.

for the most part i don't post in drama filled threads even if i do read them.

guess i was bored and felt compelled to give my thoughts after reading rheas post. as for worrying about genes decisions i really don't but when you air your dirty laundry you should expect some people to tell you if it stinks.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
if you are refering to my post i stand by what i said. without going back and checking i think that was only my 2nd post in this thread and the only one that would be considered controversial.

for the most part i don't post in drama filled threads even if i do read them.

guess i was bored and felt compelled to give my thoughts after reading rheas post. as for worrying about genes decisions i really don't but when you air your dirty laundry you should expect some people to tell you if it stinks.

Very well put. Johnnyt

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good post. I also came to the same conclusions after reading Rhea's biographical posting.

Gene didn't really respond to your posting but it's important that he recognize Rhea's gambling addiction so that they can learn how to overcome it.

I'm not sure how one overcomes a gambling addiction but surely acknowledging that there is a problem is a good first step towards a cure.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i think its pretty cool also that they are willing to share their escapades with us. i have met gene once and he seemed like a pretty nice guy.he has also always responded in a nice way in his posts to posters who have less than nice things to say about him.

if you are refering to my post about rheas actions i standby my comments. she does have a problem and i hope she soon realizes that.

if people dont see a problem here when gene goes from posting that he is building a champion out of his road partner to he is posting about trying to keep his road partner from gambling their bankroll away then they must be looking through rose colored glasses. :grin-square: