The Glove - greatest invention since chalk!

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Joey! I need to look into some others for sure. I'd like to get one of those break shaft sleeves that Wang Can was using at Tunica, too.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'm going to invest in a glove just to try out at home. Its not exactly humid in the UK but I hate having a sticky cue. I normally clean and buff my cue before every game, but it becomes a pain. I doubt ill wear it during a game though. I can imagine quite a bit of pisstaking would come my way!

When is someone going to invent a glove for the shaft? Something that slides onto the shaft that glides effortlessly against skin. Would that actually be legal?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
My cue stick wears the glove

I stopped using a glove because of all the Michael Jackson jokes and because I couldn't grip the cloth/Simonis.

Can someone provide a link where I can get a "glove" that lends itself to a smooth glide with the cue with as little "glove" as possible?
Since I shoot with either hand I use a slider made from a Thrift store silk tie. It stays put on the shaft just below the joint on shots where I do not need it. It works equally well with an open or closed bridge and can serve as a pad between the shaft and rail on rail shots.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Luxury:

Try Nancy Cote's FingerSlides product:

http://cuezctc.com/pb/wp_f4252fcd/wp_f4252fcd.html

I'm not normally a glove person, but like you, there are times when a glove is just plain darn necessary because of humid conditions (as JB states). The issue with a glove that I experience is loss of feel/grip with the table surface -- one feels as if they're "bridging through a prophylactic" or some such.

The FingerSlides product covers as minimal parts of the hand as are necessary for the cue to glide upon. And, Nancy can custom make these for you, where, e.g. if you prefer the index and/or thumb tips to be covered, she can extend the fabric and seal it off, sealing those fingertips for you! You just have to ask.

Here are the sizing instructions:

http://cuezctc.com/pb/wp_0860addd/wp_0860addd.html

Additionally, I just plain like the fabric she uses. It has a more "cotton-like" feel than, say, Sir Joseph gloves, which feel like a friction-ey nylon sock. And you can't beat the fact that you can feel the table -- no parts of the finger slides are in contact with the table.

Finally, they just plain look cool -- sort of like MMA gloves. ;)

-Sean

I'll second theFingerslides. Least possible fabric required and works like a charm. Can't play without it when it gets real humid, which is often hear in KY.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using fingerslides for the past 2 months or more. Still using the original set I purchased, no signs whatsoever of wearing out and they fit just as well today as they did the first day I put them on. I would have been through 1 or 2 pair of gloves by now. Far superior to gloves IMHO.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Used one for a long time, used to get sweaty, plus used to play with a cheapo cue with sticky shiny clearcoat all over the shaft.

At some point fell out of the habit. I may revisit them even though chafing is not an issue anymore.
I just hated how they'd get sweaty and and feeling like I had to wash it and replace it regularly.
One more piece of equipment to maintain.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
I have to admit I sort of chuckled at glove shooters for many years. I considered them easy marks back in the day. I recently started playing again and bought a glove at a tournament six months ago and I love it. Only problem is I wear them out rather quickly. Maybe I'll try a different brand.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
black colored gloves didn't work at all for me, because of my rifle aim stance. skin color takes this out of the equation, but whenever a thread from the glove pops up it's disrupts me as well. if i continue with sir joseph skin color i'll have to buy a bunch of them...or find another brand.

The Sure Shot is a little tighter and a little smaller than most of the other gloves I have tried.

Primarily I use "THE GLOVE" which has a similar fit as St. Joseph but maybe a smidgeon tighter. I keep two or three pair in my pocket for a tournament because all gloves get dirty and damp, although they still perform decently even when damp and dirty.

JoeyA

do they have better seam quality?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Have you tried buying gloves in bulk? I believe there is a seller on the forsale forum selling 10 gloves for $25

I have to admit I sort of chuckled at glove shooters for many years. I considered them easy marks back in the day. I recently started playing again and bought a glove at a tournament six months ago and I love it. Only problem is I wear them out rather quickly. Maybe I'll try a different brand.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I shoot with either hand I use a slider made from a Thrift store silk tie. It stays put on the shaft just below the joint on shots where I do not need it. It works equally well with an open or closed bridge and can serve as a pad between the shaft and rail on rail shots.

I use a glove and it is a blessing. My hands are very sticky so I was waxing-cue slick-Magic Eraser-ing constantly.

At home, I use fingers cut out of an old Sir Joseph glove to do the sleeve thing. It saves on glove wear and cost.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Glove for red chalk

I stopped using a glove because of all the Michael Jackson jokes and because I couldn't grip the cloth/Simonis.

Can someone provide a link where I can get a "glove" that lends itself to a smooth glide with the cue with as little "glove" as possible?

I generally ignore people who make Michael Jackson jokes, just as I ignore those who make jokes about the "purse" I use to carry my camera or the pink shirt I wear occasionally.

My hands don't sweat much, but I carry a glove for those humid conditions. I also use it at a friend's house. He put red cloth on his table to save money and won't let anyone use any chalk there other than red. I find it more difficult to get red chalk off my hands than blue or green Masters. So I wear my glove when I play there; the red chalk rinses out of the glove easier than it comes off my hands.

Joe Rogan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love gloves. I've always had sweaty hands and I play much better with a glove. I buy sharpshooters that already have the finger tips cut out so that I can feel the table.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I love gloves. I've always had sweaty hands and I play much better with a glove. I buy sharpshooters that already have the finger tips cut out so that I can feel the table.

^^ This is why I like Finger Slides

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just started using a glove this spring. I put on about 40 pounds and it turns out that heavier me sweats a lot more. So far I like it, but I wear through them fast. Good thing they're relatively inexpensive.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
black colored gloves didn't work at all for me, because of my rifle aim stance. skin color takes this out of the equation, but whenever a thread from the glove pops up it's disrupts me as well. if i continue with sir joseph skin color i'll have to buy a bunch of them...or find another brand.

do they have better seam quality?

I think the seam on THE GLOVE is better than Sir Joseph.

JoeyA

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB, I think that you will find that Carl Blakeman, who recently passed, was the 1st to introduce the glove in the early 80's. His wife is running the company out of Henderson,Nv. I have tried the other gloves and IMHO none come close to the Blakeman glove in quality.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dude I know so many people like you lol Gloves started showing up at my local pool soon after I started playing 25 years a go. I hated using powder so it made sense to me! The majority made fun of them at the time but I have to say in the last 20 years I've noticed most of the people who thought they were dumb now use them lol it just makes sense..same stroke no worries.