The Greatest Greatest

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite of all time to watch was Connors. A Great player who had no serve speed, but attacked the net relentlessly if the ball wasn't on the baseline.

Conners was a great baseline player. McEnroe was a master serve and volley player. As was Martina Navratilova, (etc)

Top players today dont serve an volley often, unless they are pulled into the net. Today's players are just too good at passing shots.

Sampras was arguably the GOAT until Federer took that title. Nadal could have passed federer but it doesnt look like his body can hold up to his physically draining style of play.

(Sampras and Federer win a lot of games due to their excellent serve, Nadal doesnt have that luxury and wins with heart and effort.)

Martina and Steffi were arguably the best women ever, but now Serena just earned that title. Too bad they they didnt all meet in their prime. I give Serena the edge, she is just physically too strong and overpowering for them (and everyone else).

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
And I didn't quite understand your question about Silva's, GSP's and Aldo's title defenses, as Silva holds the record (10) and GSP has the same if you count the one unification. DJ has 9. Aldo has a winning streak much longer and defenses in UFC 7 times.

And, it's way easier to weigh 125 pounds in a lesser field and fight often and dominate, than weigh for example 210 pounds, and get hit by 240 pounds guys on steroids. Size does matter in the preparation and especially recovering, too.

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
Oh, and talking about Conor, who you feel could be the next GOAT...he's the male Ronda Rousey. He's 2-1 at his naturally fighting weight. 1-1 vs Diaz (got submitted, then won a close decision), and he beat an overconfident Alvarez. If the UFC signs the fight between Conor and Khabib, which they won't, you'll see the end of the Conor mystique.

You're twisting my words, attacking straw mans and picking up irrelevant information with twisted accusations here.

No one has showed as much courage to fight in different weight classes with any opponent, as Conor. The first Diaz fight was a mistake, but he proved not to be "male Rhonda" on how he took the loss and got him self together after it. Your wild prediction about Khabib doesn't change that.

You're also forgetting to mention that he's already done history by holding two belts at the same time and dominating the title fights like a real phenomenom. In the other title match he knocked Jose Aldo, who had dominated that weight class for 10 years but was still in his prime, in 13 seconds. That's a record.

With Alvarez, he dominated the match and made Eddie literally look like an amateur. I have not seen as dominant title-fight in this decade, excluding maybe Rhondas second loss which came afterwards. And Alvarez was the reigning champ, Rhonda wasn't, and btw, Conor hadn't fought in that weight class for almost five years. And quick knock-outs are different, than making the opponent look like a complete toy for a 8 minutes. I also haven't heard as miserable, continous apologies as Eddie gave after the fight. But these you seem to forget somehow, and it starts to look you either don't know much what you're talking about, or you're significantly biased in your opinions.

I shouldn't have answered at all after your low-class start in this "discussion", but I wish you all the best for the rest of the day

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
You're twisting my words, attacking straw mans and picking up irrelevant information with twisted accusations here.

No one has showed as much courage to fight in different weight classes with any opponent, as Conor. The first Diaz fight was a mistake, but he proved not to be "male Rhonda" on how he took the loss and got him self together after it. Your wild prediction about Khabib doesn't change that.

You're also forgetting to mention that he's already done history by holding two belts at the same time and dominating the title fights like a real phenomenom. In the other title match he knocked Jose Aldo, who had dominated that weight class for 10 years but was still in his prime, in 13 seconds. That's a record.

With Alvarez, he dominated the match and made Eddie literally look like an amateur. I have not seen as dominant title-fight in this decade, excluding maybe Rhondas second loss which came afterwards. And Alvarez was the reigning champ, Rhonda wasn't, and btw, Conor hadn't fought in that weight class for almost five years. And quick knock-outs are different, than making the opponent look like a complete toy for a 8 minutes. I also haven't heard as miserable, continous apologies as Eddie gave after the fight. But these you seem to forget somehow, and it starts to look you either don't know much what you're talking about, or you're significantly biased in your opinions.

I shouldn't have answered at all after your low-class start in this "discussion", but I wish you all the best for the rest of the day

Judging from your response, you're a passive MMA fan. So there's no point in discussing. I could spend 20 minutes tearing the above to shreds.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After looking at more responses and watching a bunch of Federer videos, I'm thinking the GOAT in most disciplines needs to exhibit a skill level above the others, perhaps more importantly than the most titles or whatever.

So this started with the pool analogy. Efren seems to operate at a skill level a notch above the rest. His mastery is something *new*, unique, unmatched. Same thing with someone like Federer. Of course he doesn't win every title, but his control of the ball is simply on a level occupied by one. The command of the ball that he has developed is simply a higher skill level than everyone else. I feel like this idea is an important component for a GOAT, but certainly for a Greatest Goat.

Fun thread!

KMRUNOUT

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Michael Schumacher

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Michael was exceptional. But even in just the modern era
I think what Loeb did was more impressive and what Rossi
did was even better.

Big fan of all 3 though. I saw "the overtake" from Mika live @Spa

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember reading a whole book on the 50 greatest athletes of all time. Their choice for number one was Jim Brown.

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
Judging from your response, you're a passive MMA fan. So there's no point in discussing. I could spend 20 minutes tearing the above to shreds.

I can be called a passive MMA fan or even not fan at all, it's a disgusting sport in many ways though highly entertaining if you don't allow morals to interfere, but it still didn't make any sense of claiming DJ would be somehow superior with title defences compared to Silva and GSP, as they both have more than DJ. So that factual error alone tells me you don't know much about MMA, as do the fact that you don't understand the difference in dominating fly weight to what the others did.

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member

did was even better.

Michael certainly was good, but he did lots of dirty tricks and Ferrari did lots of the work. Mika was faster than him and Senna and some others too.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
I can be called a passive MMA fan or even not fan at all, it's a disgusting sport in many ways though highly entertaining if you don't allow morals to interfere, but it still didn't make any sense of claiming DJ would be somehow superior with title defences compared to Silva and GSP, as they both have more than DJ. So that factual error alone tells me you don't know much about MMA, as do the fact that you don't understand the difference in dominating fly weight to what the others did.

Your first sentence tells me all I need to know. Thanks for your input.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Michael certainly was good, but he did lots of dirty tricks and Ferrari did lots of the work. Mika was faster than him and Senna and some others too.

It seems we're agreeing then. Mentioning Michael Schumacher as
the Greatest Greatest even just in motorsports is incorrect.

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
Your first sentence tells me all I need to know. Thanks for your input.

But it doesn't contradict the facts nor the general, majority of the fans', nor even the experts' opinion.

MMA is like many other "vices"; it'd be better without them, but sure they can entertain you.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
After looking at more responses and watching a bunch of Federer videos, I'm thinking the GOAT in most disciplines needs to exhibit a skill level above the others, perhaps more importantly than the most titles or whatever.

So this started with the pool analogy. Efren seems to operate at a skill level a notch above the rest. His mastery is something *new*, unique, unmatched. Same thing with someone like Federer. Of course he doesn't win every title, but his control of the ball is simply on a level occupied by one. The command of the ball that he has developed is simply a higher skill level than everyone else. I feel like this idea is an important component for a GOAT, but certainly for a Greatest Goat.

Fun thread!

KMRUNOUT
To me Efren is different that all his peers, past and present in ANY game/sport/competition....he's a ''one of a kind''. I think there is no other athlete from any sport that has what he has, and has had. Many don't know how lucky we are to have such a special person alive during our life. Many used to talk about the Knoxville Bear and his banking abilities, but he also had that innate ability to learn any game quickly, do it differently than anyone else, get away with it and beat his peers in a game they were better at, when he learned it. Players from his generation never played position in 14.1 for a bank shot to continue there inning. He didn't think that way.

sonny burnett

Registered
did was even better.

I was fortunate to see every televised race of Scumi's career.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member

You may want to check your facts. GSP has 9 title defenses, the same as DJ. One more, and DJ ties Silva. Don't know which internet site you get your "facts" from, but you might want to choose a different one. And DJ is STILL the active champion. That at least puts him on par with GSP.